Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,419 times

Advertisements

Hi I am also looking into moving to Hawaii, I have one year of experience in critical care at a large medical center in baltimore. Are there any large teaching hospitals or level one trauma centers. i'm very open to where i'm living i'm mostly interested in finding a hospital that i can be happy at. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 12:16 PM

155 posts, read 516,798 times
MissPA, I think the only hospital that fits that bill on any of the islands is Queen's Medical Center. It seems that any accident victim is taken to Queen's. I'm not sure if it's a teaching hospital but it should be I would think. But if you only have one year of experience (is that one year total or just one year in CC?) you may be out of luck.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:00 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,303,215 times
Well, I didn't read all the posts but I read enough. I hope the OP found what they were looking for. Now it seems people have kept this thread alive because they want info on nursing jobs. To say that no nurses post on this forum is incorrect. As a professional R.N.,B.S.N with 20 years of experience I am obligated to my fellow R.N.s to help them with info when they post for advise on this forum. I have also encountered many other professionals like me on this forum.
For the record. Each island spits out x amounts of graduates from every community college and university in the state every year. The R.N. jobs are extremely competitive. We make $20 less an hour then our unionized mainland counterparts (the previous post was correct about 'union' wage in Hawaii), and all the jobs are not unionized. I have worked with travel nurses from England, South Korea and France, frankly I have no idea why they were shipped in. Advise to R.N.s actively seeking positions in Hawaii, beef up the resume and include ACLS along with anything else you can get your hands on (make sure you know how to do a good resume with cover letter etc...) Don't snub your nose at a position that does not appeal to you. Get your foot in the door and the rest depends on you, along with a little bit of luck. I got my bachelors right off. I advocate associate R.N.s to get your B.S.N. or if you are going into nursing for an R.N. degree do the bachleors, it opened up doors that would not have been availible to me otherwise.
P.S.
I know many from the mainland ask if they moved here first would their chances at a job improve? No one knows that answer, I've seen it work both ways. FTR, post #49 hits it out of the ball park.

Last edited by tyvin; 01-16-2010 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: syntax

Old 01-17-2010, 04:17 PM

543 posts, read 3,079,777 times
Quote:
Nursing is still hard work, but I easily earn twice what I earned in Florida
So Hawaii pays better than mainland for nurses?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:01 PM

The quote doesn't state what type of nursing they were/are in or what type of facility it was (hospital/clinic etc..) or locaton (Florida is a large state). Per Hawaii "union" rules of hourly starting wage for R.N.s in Hawaii, wage is lower then many of the other states.

Sincerely,

Old 03-23-2010, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,987 times
John,

I have applied to Queens ICU float pool. I'm an RN w/ 2 years ICU experience, and am making my yearly trip from Dallas to Honolulu to visit family in June. This year I am hoping to not return home Is it likely to be hired from out of state? Are you familiar with Queens? Working environment etc.??

any info helps!

Thanks,
Leia

Old 03-23-2010, 02:44 AM

ohfine1985 wrote he won't be replying because he's was getting ready to hele.
He wrote and apologized to all on this thread that he could not spend anymore time on this forum d/t getting everything packed/together.

He had very good advice.

I don't know too much about Queens other then the fact it's your typical click situation depending on floor, unit, skill, level, favorites, you know what I'm talking about.

I had my back surgery done at Queens and I wasn't impressed to say the least. The only people who would talk to me were the DON and the docs.

Perhaps they are more together in the ICU. You got good skills and being persistent when you get here is key.

Let's face it; I think we've all worked in 1 unit that ran cohesively and didn't have the cliques; a real together team. Hopefully for you this could happen.

Good luck to you and yours,

Old 03-30-2010, 02:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,248,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRNEd View Post
Nursing is still hard work, but I easily earn twice what I earned in Florida
Wow. Is housing and cost of living half the cost of FL though?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Location: I am currently in a homeless shelter at 414 W Lincoln Hwy in Chgo Hts,Ill
1 posts, read 2,777 times
I am interested in relocating to your area

Last edited by deborah custom; 04-20-2010 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Filling in interveiw forum

Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 PM

28 posts, read 105,713 times
This is what I heard, there's vacancies at most hospitals, the problem is, the hospitals would rather run short, than hire, due to budget constraints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii