Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniRN View Post
Hi John, I too am in Fl at the moment contemplating a few travel assignments in Hawaii. What island is the most affordable? I'd like to be near the beach of course and big city that offers everything. Thanks....
Near the beach, big city, and affordable are 3 phrases that do not go together on any of the islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 12:14 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,748 times
Speaking of Nursing jobs, I just saw these today.

Veterans Administration, Kaua, Maui, Big Island Hawaii

USAJOBS - Search Jobs

Old 09-05-2010, 02:39 AM

5 posts, read 10,390 times
Hi im just qualifying as a RN in the UK, and have had my heart set on moving to Hawaii ever since I started my nursing course at University. Was just wondering if you had any useful or helpful tips as I really dont know where to start. I have friends living in Oahu at present.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:05 PM

29 posts, read 104,884 times
Hi gemb, it's doable, albeit challenging. It's best attempted with a sizable personal savings and a willingness to start humbly. It is not at all uncommon for recent graduates RNs to work for a year or more as a CNA, or sometimes LPN before finding RN work. Also consider long term care, as there tend to be more openings on that end of the spectrum. Best wishes!

Old 09-12-2010, 12:01 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,574 times
Ryan; I too worked with humble beginnings to get my foot into the door. I started as a CNA after I got my RN in a home health agency in Honolulu for very little per hour. I worked my butt off and one day a year later I got an RN job at one of the many places that I kept my resume active at immediately bumping my wage up >3 times what I was making as it was a place that was unionized.

My story is different in that I am from here and chose to go to the mainland for school so when I graduated I didn't have my foot in any doors or no preceptors in Hawaii. And to make matters worse I am from Kauai and back then there were only 2 hospitals on the entire island and not that many nursing homes.

So your advice is good and solid. I know many people who wouldn't have "lowered" themselves to take a lower position like I did but I learned so much more then if I would have started out as an RN. I also earn the respect of the CNA's I work with as I am one RN that knows all the transferring tricks like they do.

If your a new grad it's time to think outside the box and take what comes, bide your time and things will happen.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 12,876 times
John,

I currently work in the ICU at the Kansas City VA. Is there a VA hospital there in Hawaii? Someone told me that the Tripler Army Hospital is the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VA). Is that true? I have years of experience and am lookign to transfer to Hawaii. Any information would be helpful.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRNEd View Post
I am an RN working in Honolulu for the past 3 years, and would be happy to answer any specific questions that I could concerning life here and nursing.

I have previous experience as an RN in Florida, so can provide some comparison between the two states.

Aloha -

John
Iam an RN in Florida and considering moving to Hawaii. Would be interested in some comparisons in living costs and job availability. Which Island has the most nursing jobs?
Thanks

Old 09-20-2010, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,401 times
Default Wondering about the same 411

Hi I am an RN in Florida, Pedi ER........with experience, I am preparing for a possible move over to Oahu.......Any reccomendations...?
I also have my MSN/NP so I would probably start as an RN before doing the NP thing but interested in the Nurse Prfactitioner oppurtunities as well.............How are nursing oppurtunites outside of Honolulu, like in the smaller towns?
If I am planning to start a family there do you thing I should try the travel agency first or apply directly to the hospitals?
How is healthcare over there, better than Florida?

Thank You

Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 PM

41 posts, read 145,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veve924 View Post
Hi I am an RN in Florida, Pedi ER........with experience, I am preparing for a possible move over to Oahu.......Any reccomendations...?
I also have my MSN/NP so I would probably start as an RN before doing the NP thing but interested in the Nurse Prfactitioner oppurtunities as well.............How are nursing oppurtunites outside of Honolulu, like in the smaller towns?
If I am planning to start a family there do you thing I should try the travel agency first or apply directly to the hospitals?
How is healthcare over there, better than Florida?

Thank You
Please read previous posts in this thread concerning jobs for nurses in Hawaii. The job market for RNs in Hawaii is poor. There are many nurses who are already living in Hawaii who are looking for jobs. New RN grads in Hawaii are unable to finde jobs here. If you really want to work as a nurse in Hawaii you will have to take a non-traditional route to get your foot in the door here. Takiing a job through a local agency (such as Alterus) as a RN, LPN, or CNA is your best bet. And yes I mean working as a LPN or CNA even though you are a RN. Many RNs are having to work as LPN or CNA but are able to work there way into RN positions through doing this. Be prepared for much hostility from local nurses if you are able to get a job as a RN here. You will be taking a job away from one of their relatives or friends who is a RN & is looking for a job.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:33 PM

42 posts, read 103,368 times
As the question of nursing jobs seems to be a constant on this board, thought this link from today's Star-Advertiser might set out the true position.

Nurses in ample supply - Hawaii Business - Staradvertiser.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii