Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:41 AM

348 posts, read 496,945 times

Advertisements

A friend just pointed out to me the other day, the restriction of bike riding down and through Falls Park and Cleveland Park. What gives with that? Being a tax payer to Greenville County and a concerned citizen, I am a little miffed about this restriction. Why was it instituted in the first place? Should not a pedestrian share the path with a biker as well and vice versa? Just concerned with this restriction on the Swamp Rabbit Trail, that was supposed to be used by all, except motorized vehicles! Seems like another "Shoot from the Hip" decision by another government official, who is not taking into consideration ALL parties effected! Maybe, it is a good thing not to ride through Falls Park------ then you will not be "Mugged" by a gang of men!! Excuse the rant, just upset by this. And JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 AM

179 posts, read 328,761 times
First, the city of Greenville controls the park and the trail in this area. Not the county.

Second, it became a safety concern if people were riding on bikes. There are always many small kids in the park and even more so at the fountain pad next to Riveplace.

Third. There is a fix planned. An alternate bike route will be made taking you around the park altogether. It will be from River to Cleveland.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
Second, it became a safety concern if people were riding on bikes. There are always many small kids in the park and even more so at the fountain pad next to Riveplace.

Third. There is a fix planned. An alternate bike route will be made taking you around the park altogether. It will be from River to Cleveland.
While I do enjoy riding through that area, it is VERY busy, especially on weekends. And to be honest, a bit stressful trying to dodge all of the pedestrians. I welcome a "bike detour" around that area as long as it's safe and hopefully not alongside a road.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 AM

The alternate route (The so called fix) is along the streets! Dangerous for adults and for kids! Maybe the pedestrians in Falls Park should "Share" the space and control their kids! Just my opinion.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuguy2 View Post
The alternate route (The so called fix) is along the streets! Dangerous for adults and for kids! Maybe the pedestrians in Falls Park should "Share" the space and control their kids! Just my opinion.
That was what I was afraid of. Is the option to walk you bike through the "restricted" area still available?

Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 PM

The detour is along the streets, but how is it any more dangerous than a bike lane? It's not like the cars on Broad go 60 mph. It's frankly the only solution. And yes you can still walk your bike trough the area.

If the city did not institute the rule and alternate route then there would end up being major accidents. And no one wants that.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:35 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,762,351 times
Quote:
The detour is along the streets, but how is it any more dangerous than a bike lane? It's not like the cars on Broad go 60 mph.
I haven't seen the street route yet, but if the southbound includes a left turn from Cleveland St onto Ridgeland Dr, this is a hairy left turn, depending on time of day and traffic.

Quote:
If the city did not institute the rule and alternate route then there would end up being major accidents. And no one wants that.
Have there been any major accidents there? I never heard of any accidents yet. But people probably did ride bikes past the fountains faster than they should have, and it is a surprise for sightseers along the falls when a passel of bikes move by on the sidewalk.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
I haven't seen the street route yet, but if the southbound includes a left turn from Cleveland St onto Ridgeland Dr, this is a hairy left turn, depending on time of day and traffic.

Have there been any major accidents there? I never heard of any accidents yet. But people probably did ride bikes past the fountains faster than they should have, and it is a surprise for sightseers along the falls when a passel of bikes move by on the sidewalk.
With Ready Square, next phase of Riverplace, and just the increasing amount of people going to the park in general, accidents would end up happening. The city has already drawn up a major plan for the alternative bike route and it makes it as safe as it could with enough room for bikes and cars. The city has already funded it and together with Cancer Survivors park it will allow for good access onto the main trail.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Default Safe Alternate Route?

Your proposed alternate route has to take the riders to the intersections of Broad, McDaniel and Ridgeland Drive, to connect to Cleveland Park Drive? Right? What provisions is the city making/proposing to ensure a safe crossing at these busy intersections? Once crossing all these intersections, do we proceed up Cleveland Park Drive, which is very narrow, to where? Lakehurst to Woodland Way and then to SRT? The SRT will not be the same, with this detour. Disappointed.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 AM

557 posts, read 864,477 times
I believe the city of Greenville plans to reduce automotive traffic and make all streets in the city limits bicycle and pedestrian friendly. Even if that means having to create alternate pathways for bicyclist and pedestrians. It boils down to safety one way or the other, so let's all err on the side of safety. I say this is a good thing the city is doing for all involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area