Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:59 AM

3 posts, read 5,219 times

Advertisements

First I see people complaining about the bike trail because they are uninformed. Then I see people complaining about being uninformed.

The City does not hide their plans. The plans are designed through a public process which includes public meetings, public design sessions, public surveys, and lots of input from the public. The plans are then distributed in print version and are available on-line. Greenville has one of the best websites I've ever encountered for distribution of information. Take a look- every City plan, policy, and project is on-line for your perusal.

Before making wild accusations that the City is trying to steal your freedoms, or that they aren't pampering your specific needs enough, try getting involved on the ground floor. Don't be a reactionary after the fact- go to the public meetings, join your local bike groups (who are consulted during the planning phases), and read the information that's already out there. There is a Bicycle Master Plan. Read it.

As evidenced by some of these posts, there are well informed people here. Who are they? Dark and mysterious intelligencia raoming the corridors of power? Or just involved citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 AM

3 posts, read 5,219 times
As for dismounting in Falls Park- if you expect cars to slow down in your presence and be aware of you and your needs, you should do the same for pedestrians. Slow down in their presence and share the sidewalk! If that means walking your bike then do so. There are miles and miles of the SRT where you can ride uninhibited.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 AM

179 posts, read 329,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
It is just another excuse and revenue generator they have that further limits your freedom and gives them more control. You not only pay the penalty but you pay them to enforce it. But isn't that what all Americans want these days -- their so called "safety and security"at all costs???? It certainly seems that way.
I see the far right has joined in, would the far left like to join in too?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,668,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
I see the far right has joined in, would the far left like to join in too?
I'm waiting for the "Charlotte's trails are better" posts, that will somehow morph into 30 pages of "my diploma is bigger than yours".

Old 08-08-2013, 07:52 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,663,609 times
This is really sad. People in other countries share their sidewalk with people on bicycles. How did pedestrians or kids get more rights than people who like to ride bikes? This is no longer a contiguous biking trail then. If they re-route it to beside a street, what a tragedy. This will be less visually pleasing to the bikers and more unsafe for them. Right, move some more people close to the streets and cars and trucks. I have biked through there numerous times and I always slow down around the young moms with their babies. Who doesn't??

Yes, a bell is a good way to let people know you want to pass or simply say "may I pass you, please"? This goes for pedestrians and/or slower bicyclists.

This is really a bummer to me. I guess I will be going down there less or not at all.

Maybe Greenville Rec will stop bragging about the trail and do something about the rest of their parks.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,798,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
This is really sad. People in other countries share their sidewalk with people on bicycles. How did pedestrians or kids get more rights than people who like to ride bikes? This is no longer a contiguous biking trail then. If they re-route it to beside a street, what a tragedy. This will be less visually pleasing to the bikers and more unsafe for them. Right, move some more people close to the streets and cars and trucks. I have biked through there numerous times and I always slow down around the young moms with their babies. Who doesn't??

Yes, a bell is a good way to let people know you want to pass or simply say "may I pass you, please"? This goes for pedestrians and/or slower bicyclists.

This is really a bummer to me. I guess I will be going down there less or not at all.

Maybe Greenville Rec will stop bragging about the trail and do something about the rest of their parks.
I don't think there is a prohibition of bikes on the trail. So far, the only mention of that is "somebody's friend said..."

There were bikes all along the trail last weekend, they just have to yield to pedestrians, like they do every other place on the planet I've ridden.

The use of a bell or horn should indicate that you are passing, not that you desire people to get out of your way. It's a statement, not a question.

For anyone who is looking to book it down a trail, the downtown portion isn't appealing. So expect delays or find an alternate route (not real easy, I know, but it looks like the city is working on it).

Old 08-08-2013, 08:26 AM

179 posts, read 329,266 times
Quote:

Most bikes ride on roads with no bike lane at all. How is this more unsafe for them when there will be a bike lane for the trail alternate?

Old 08-08-2013, 02:23 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,767,364 times
Quote:
This is really sad. People in other countries share their sidewalk with people on bicycles. How did pedestrians or kids get more rights than people who like to ride bikes? This is no longer a contiguous biking trail then.
I'm not a city planner, but if I were to guess, the city was gracious when the Swamp Rabbit Trail first opened to allow a contiguous route along the falls and Riverplace. Although those areas were designed to be 'sidewalks', the mixed bike+pedestrian use was allowed. With the exploding popularity of that area, it has become too crowded to allow bike riding 'on the sidewalk'. (Are bikes technically disallowed on all sidewalks in the city?) I think they're working on a better solution, but this is what we have in the meantime.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I don't think there is a prohibition of bikes on the trail. So far, the only mention of that is "somebody's friend said..."
Bikes aren't prohibited, there's just a mandatory dismount policy from River St through the the stone bridge below the falls. I think I can scare up a picture if anyone is interested.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot_12 View Post
The City does not hide their plans. The plans are designed through a public process which includes public meetings, public design sessions, public surveys, and lots of input from the public. The plans are then distributed in print version and are available on-line. Greenville has one of the best websites I've ever encountered for distribution of information. Take a look- every City plan, policy, and project is on-line for your perusal.
The only issue here is that probably 95% of all SRT users are not city residents and do not get involved in the day-to-day city government doings. I'm not a resident, but do subscribe to 4-5 Greenville city Email information lists. This change just doesn't show up in any of the places I'd expect it to, including a Google search of the city's web site. I've happened across some discussions of a bypass route in some city minutes (the CIP?), but it didn't mention this step. I'm a member of the Greenville Spinners, but this still took me by surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot_12 View Post
As evidenced by some of these posts, there are well informed people here. Who are they? Dark and mysterious intelligencia raoming the corridors of power? Or just involved citizens?
I'm not claiming that the change was unnecessary, but I'd just like to learn the back story: were there bike-pedestrian accidents, or was it just projecting the traffic levels and finding that they were unsustainable? Does anyone know the real story?

Many trail users are uninformed - just look at the people on bikes still sailing through the dismount zone. Will it take police pulling over bike riders and issuing tickets for failure to dismount?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area