Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:31 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
With Ready Square, next phase of Riverplace, and just the increasing amount of people going to the park in general, accidents would end up happening. The city has already drawn up a major plan for the alternative bike route and it makes it as safe as it could with enough room for bikes and cars. The city has already funded it and together with Cancer Survivors park it will allow for good access onto the main trail.
Reedy Square is years away. If they're working on the alternative bike route, that will be done well before Reedy Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 AM

348 posts, read 496,881 times
Default Communication!!

The buzz word comes to mind, "Transparency". I am getting my information second hand and now on this forum. I am all for keeping ALL people safe in this area. It just seems that part of the SRT will lose it's appeal with this move. Is it something like Not in my Backyard? Has the city entertained the idea of coming public with their proposal and communicating to the people their plan? Or, is it written in stone? The local news stations would be a good first step. Again, JMHO.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuguy2 View Post
I am getting my information second hand and now on this forum. I am all for keeping ALL people safe in this area.
This was poorly communicated - even the SRT Facebook page and web site make no mention of these changes. Just some signs popping up. I think everyone would support this better if we knew the thinking behind it (even if we don't agree).

Fortunately walking bikes is still an option, and the one I'll use to avoid the one dangerous intersection I know of, in which I'm depending on cars seeing me from two directions during a left turn.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
I was down there last weekend, and if there's a trail restriction on bikes, it wasn't being enforced. There were plenty of cyclists, including a police officer, on the trail.

It felt like a pretty unsafe situation with so many pedestrians and little kids mixed with cyclists wanting to motor through. Seems like a matter of time until there's an accident, if there hasn't been one already. You could see cyclists getting frustrated, but from what I remember cyclists are supposed to yield to pedestrians on mixed trails like this, at least where I come from.

And ringing a bell, or honking a horn just as you buzz by seems to startle people as much as warn them. People sometimes turn into the bell or horn rather than move over. And just sitting behind somebody and ringing your bell is annoying. Pedestrains don't really have an obligation to move over, although that's obviously a nice thin to do.

I'm glad the issue is being addressed.

Swamp rabbit trail reviews pedestrian and cyclist manners - FOX Carolina 21

EDIT: Yep. Pedestrians have the right of way.

Pedestrians Have the Right of Way
Faster moving trail users, such as bicyclists, rollerbladers and skate boarders, should yield to walkers and joggers.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/ParksRec/trails/Rules.aspx

Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM

179 posts, read 328,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Reedy Square is years away. If they're working on the alternative bike route, that will be done well before Reedy Square.
Reedy Square start construction early next year. Riverplace starts construction in 2015. The city had to move to keep pedestrians and bikers safe alike. It is already crowded and it will only get more crowded in the coming years.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:20 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
The detour is along the streets, but how is it any more dangerous than a bike lane?
Seriously? If I'm riding in a bike lane along side a road, it doesn't matter how fast the car is traveling, the car could still run a biker over, or a small child could swerve out in front of a car. The actual trail portion is much more safer than a bike lane, but I understand the safety of pedestrians is also important.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:21 PM

179 posts, read 328,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Seriously? If I'm riding in a bike lane along side a road, it doesn't matter how fast the car is traveling, the car could still run a biker over, or a small child could swerve out in front of a car. The actual trail portion is much more safer than a bike lane, but I understand the safety of pedestrians is also important.
If you have small children with you, then just walk the bike through the park. This alternate is to make sure that bikers who don't want to lose their pace by having to stop and walk their bike for a long distance. Usually these type people are ones that would bike on a road with no bike lane at all like in the county.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuguy2 View Post
A friend just pointed out to me the other day, the restriction of bike riding down and through Falls Park and Cleveland Park. What gives with that? Being a tax payer to Greenville County and a concerned citizen, I am a little miffed about this restriction. Why was it instituted in the first place? Should not a pedestrian share the path with a biker as well and vice versa? Just concerned with this restriction on the Swamp Rabbit Trail, that was supposed to be used by all, except motorized vehicles! Seems like another "Shoot from the Hip" decision by another government official, who is not taking into consideration ALL parties effected! Maybe, it is a good thing not to ride through Falls Park------ then you will not be "Mugged" by a gang of men!! Excuse the rant, just upset by this. And JMHO.
It is just another excuse and revenue generator they have that further limits your freedom and gives them more control. You not only pay the penalty but you pay them to enforce it. But isn't that what all Americans want these days -- their so called "safety and security"at all costs???? It certainly seems that way.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You could see cyclists getting frustrated, but from what I remember cyclists are supposed to yield to pedestrians on mixed trails like this, at least where I come from.
Agreed, pedestrians, children and pets have the right of way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
And ringing a bell, or honking a horn just as you buzz by seems to startle people as much as warn them. People sometimes turn into the bell or horn rather than move over.
I don't even bother with a bell any more. The problem is that some people have hearing loss in that frequency range and can't hear it. (Not just old people - there's also the iPod hearing damage effect) My voice is soft, so I can't even announce myself loudly enough if there is high ambient noise.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 PM

557 posts, read 864,297 times
SOUTH CAROLINA CODE OF LAWS

SECTION 56-5-3410. Applicability of article to bicycles.

The provisions of this article are applicable to bicycles whenever a bicycle is operated upon any highway or upon any path set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, subject to those exceptions stated in this article.

SECTION 56-5-3420. Rights and duties of bicyclists generally.

A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway must be granted all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this chapter, except as to special provisions in this article and except as to those provisions of this chapter which by their nature can have no application.

SECTION 56-5-3425. Bicycle lanes.

(A) For purposes of this section, “bicycle lane” means a portion of the roadway or a paved lane separated from the roadway that has been designated by striping, pavement markings, and signage for the preferential or exclusive use of bicyclists.

(B) Whenever a bicycle lane has been provided adjacent to a roadway, operators of:

(1) motor vehicles may not block the bicycle lane to oncoming bicycle traffic and shall yield to a bicyclist in the bicycle lane before entering or crossing the lane; and

(2) bicycles are required to ride in the bicycle lane except when necessary to pass another person riding a bicycle or to avoid an obstruction in the bicycle lane. However, bicyclists may ride on the roadway when there is only an adjacent recreational bicycle path available instead of a bicycle lane.

SECTION 56-5-3430. Riding on roadways and bicycle paths.

(A) Except as provided in subsection (B), every bicyclist operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable. A bicyclist may, but is not required to, ride on the shoulder of the roadway in order to comply with the requirements of this subsection.

(B) A bicyclist may ride in a lane other than the right-hand lane if only one lane is available that permits the bicyclist to continue on his intended route.

(C) When operating a bicycle upon a roadway, a bicyclist must exercise due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.

(D) Bicyclists riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

SECTION 56-5-3435. Driver to maintain safe operating distance between motor vehicle and bicycle.

A driver of a motor vehicle must at all times maintain a safe operating distance between the motor vehicle and a bicycle.

SECTION 56-5-3440. Manner of riding bicycles; number of persons which may be carried.

A bicyclist propelling a bicycle may not ride other than upon or astride a permanent and regular seat attached to the bicycle. No bicycle may be used to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped.

SECTION 56-5-3445. Harassing or throwing object at person riding bicycle; penalty.

It is unlawful to harass, taunt, or maliciously throw an object at or in the direction of any person riding a bicycle. A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than two hundred fifty dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

SECTION 56-5-3450. Clinging to vehicles prohibited.

A person riding upon any bicycle, coaster, roller skates, sled, or toy vehicle may not attach it or them or himself to a vehicle upon a roadway.

SECTION 56-5-3460. Carrying articles.

A bicyclist operating a bicycle may not carry any package, bundle, or article that prevents the rider from keeping at least one hand upon the handle bars.

SECTION 56-5-3470. Lamps and reflectors on bicycle.

A bicycle when in use at nighttime must be equipped with a lamp on the front which must emit a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet to the front and with a red reflector on the rear that must be visible from all distances from fifty feet to three hundred feet to the rear when directly in front of the lawful upper beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle. A lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear may be used in addition to the red reflector.

SECTION 56-5-3480. Signaling turns; penalty.

(A)(1) A bicyclist shall indicate a right turn by extending the left arm upward, by raising the left arm to the square, or by extending the right arm horizontally to the right.

(2) A bicyclist shall indicate a left turn by extending the left arm horizontally.

(3) A bicyclist shall indicate stopping or decreasing speed by extending the left arm or the right arm downward.

(B) A bicyclist is not required to give signals provided for in subsection (A) continuously if the hand or arm is needed to control the bicycle.

(C) A violation of this section is punishable by a fine of twenty-five dollars.

SECTION 56-5-3490. Brake on bicycle; penalty.

A bicycle must be equipped with a brake that will enable the bicyclist to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement. A violation of this section is punishable by a fine of twenty-five dollars.

SECTION 56-5-3500. Violations of article; penalties.

(A) Except as otherwise provided, in the absence of another violation being cited, a violation of this article by the driver of a motor vehicle is subject to a civil fine of up to one hundred dollars unless a bicyclist is injured as a result of the violation.

(B) In the absence of another violation being cited, a person driving a motor vehicle who violates a provision of this article and the violation is the proximate cause of a:

(1) minor injury to a bicyclist, must be assessed a civil fine of up to five hundred dollars; or

(2) great bodily injury, as defined in Section 56-5-2945, to a bicyclist, must be assessed a civil fine of not more than one thousand dollars.

SECTION 56-5-3515. Authorized police patrol bicycles; operating as emergency vehicles.

(A) An authorized police patrol bicycle used as a part of a police bicycle patrol may exercise the privileges of an emergency vehicle provided in Section 56-5-760.

(B) An authorized police patrol bicycle may be equipped with a siren or the officer may utilize a whistle in the performance of his duties, or both.

(C) Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 56-5-760(C), an authorized police patrol bicycle acting as an emergency vehicle is entitled to the exemptions of an authorized emergency vehicle if it makes use of an audible signal meeting the requirements of Section 56-5-4970 or visual signals meeting the requirements of Section 56-5-4700.

Greenville City Ordinance

Sec. 26-37. - Bicycles.permanent link to this piece of content

No person in or on a public mall only shall:

(1)
Riding in other than designated areas. Ride a bicycle other than on a paved vehicular road, street or path designated for that purpose. A bicyclist shall be permitted to wheel or push a bicycle by hand over any paved area reserved for pedestrian use.
(2)
Parking. Leave a bicycle in a place other than a bicycle rack when such is provided and there is a space available.
(3)
Leaving bicycle on ground. Leave a bicycle lying on the ground or paving or in any place or position where other persons may trip over or be injured by it.

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2013 at 04:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area