Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 PM

13 posts, read 148,705 times

Advertisements

Evenin' everybody. We've recently bought bikes and really want to check out the Swamp Rabbit Trail. We were able to fairly easily locate the portion that starts at Cleveland Park, but are trying to do some research and find out where you can pick up the portion that starts in Travelers Rest and can't find any information. Does anyone know where we can find this out or can you give us general directions on how to get there? Also if you have any suggestions for other places/areas to bike, we'd love the recommendations. Have checked out Heritage Park a couple times, but it's seemed pretty busy each time we went, so would prefer something a little more laid-back for now. Also a more level/flat ride as we don't have mountain bikes. We're in Simpsonville if that helps. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 06:12 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,762,351 times
Hi,
This is a pretty good view of the trail as it goes through TR (Red dotted line):

OpenStreetMap

You could park in Gateway park and hook up with the trail. The trail is still mixed asphalt / gravel in TR.

There is another parking lot off Duncan Chapel Rd near Furman U, but it only has 12 spaces and might be full at peak times:

OpenStreetMap

The lower open section of the northern trail is all paved and smooth.

Or you could park at Furman University and cut over to catch the trail - I'm not sure about parking permits, but I think it's OK on weekends

OpenStreetMap

FYI, the whole open part of the Swamp Rabbit Trail is mapped on this site in detail, including related trails, etc.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:24 AM

13 posts, read 148,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Hi,
This is a pretty good view of the trail as it goes through TR (Red dotted line):

OpenStreetMap

You could park in Gateway park and hook up with the trail. The trail is still mixed asphalt / gravel in TR.

There is another parking lot off Duncan Chapel Rd near Furman U, but it only has 12 spaces and might be full at peak times:

OpenStreetMap

The lower open section of the northern trail is all paved and smooth.

Or you could park at Furman University and cut over to catch the trail - I'm not sure about parking permits, but I think it's OK on weekends

OpenStreetMap

FYI, the whole open part of the Swamp Rabbit Trail is mapped on this site in detail, including related trails, etc.
Thanks a bunch! We're looking forward to checking it out today - really appreciate your input!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:13 AM

288 posts, read 948,824 times
That map is awesome! Best I've seen. Thanks!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:02 AM

137 posts, read 396,722 times
Default Public Parking at Furman U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Hi,

OpenStreetMap

Wow, Thanks for the Open Street tool. I had only used "Map my Walk" before but I think this is smoother!

As to Parking Permits at Furman -

I talked to campus security office there a year ago and what they said was no permit is needed for two of their lots. One lot is the large one at the Southwest corner of the lake, the other is reached by the following directions:

On entering Furman's front gate off Hwy 276, take the first right off the circle, just past McAlister Auditorium. Go under the overpass, turn left on Dave Garrett Drive. Parking is on both sides of Dave Garrett Drive.

Use Bikeoid's maps to find SWT from these lots! Just walk around Swan Lake and take one of the connectors from the F.U. Lake Trail.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:55 PM

107 posts, read 520,027 times
Default Biked the TR Swamp Rabbit Trail today.

The family and I biked the 5 mile stretch of the Swamp Rabbit Trail from where it begins in Travelers Rest, just beyond The Adventure Store, to where it ends at Watkins Bridge Rd. My wife, 7yo daughter, 2yo son and myself had a very nice time on the ten mile round trip and were very,very impressed with the trails progress. It was pretty easy riding on the 90% paved trail with only minor inclines and declines along the way. Most of the trail is very shady and cool. Access to Furman Universitys park and pond area has been given to trail riders who may want to take a break or picnic on their beautiful grounds the access point is complete with bathrooms and emergency calling station. One point I would like to make if you'll have children with you. You must make them well aware of the stop signs found at road intersections. I prefer they dismount their bikes look both ways and cross or better yet, wait there until Mom or Dad catches up. Anyway, we had a wonderful time and can't wait to check out the other open sections. When complete, the trail promises to raise the local quality of life and health.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:51 AM

Another section of the Swamp Rabbit trail opened last week in the Conestee / Mauldin area! This was announced at the official opening of the bridge spanning the Reedy River, but is barely mentioned in the news articles.

Residents starting to discover Lake Conestee Nature Park | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News

Area map:

OpenStreetMap

There is a nearly 2 mile 10-foot wide asphalt plus boardwalk trail stretching from Spanco Drive to Henderson Ave. Eventually this will connect to the rest of the Swamp Rabbit trail. Great nature views along the way. There are some good hiking trails in the area also, but some of the lower trails are muddy from all the heavy rains.

There is good parking next to the Conestee Mill on the lower right, as well as Henderson Avenue on the upper left. The old G Braves stadium entrance doesn't connect directly to the Swamp Rabbit paved section yet, as well as the stadium gates are not yet open on all days. That will become an official entrance later.

Park information:

Home Page

Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 PM

The next section of the Swamp Rabbit trail opens on Saturday May 8. The north trail section will then span from near Greenville Tech to North Greenville Hospital in Travelers Rest.

Quote:
The GHS Swamp Rabbit Tram Trail is making forward leaps with next week’s opening of a major section between Travelers Rest and Greenville. It’s the newest link in a proposed network of greenways that could one day span Greenville County and extend as part of a state-wide mountain-to-sea passage. Advocates say the local trail is already revitalizing communities, growing tourism and making citizens healthier with every walk, run and ride. Leaders gathered Friday along the trail to announce details of next weekend’s Grand “Hoppening,” which includes a record-setting 5K race and prize-winning opportunities for trail users when the trail section officially opens May 8.
Trail visionary Carlton Owen said the 125-year-old defunct railroad is being turned into a vibrant artery that will link communities, including Travelers Rest, Furman University, a reborn Monaghan, Greenville and points beyond as the trail expands north and south.
Leaders called the community-wide project a shining example of how county and city governments can work together with businesses, property owners and trail users to create economic and health opportunities. The trail also provides the public a practical, safe people-powered transportation system which includes connections to the Greenlink bus system.
Activities of interest at this Saturday's opening:

Quote:
The Grand Hoppening continues Saturday, May 8, when the cities of Greenville and Travelers Rest will be officially linked via the Swamp Rabbit. People who hop onto the trail for a walk, run or ride that day may be eligible for prizes valued at nearly $1,000. Volunteers wearing rabbit ears will be on the trail between 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. giving away tickets to the prize drawing and a limited supply of rabbit ears.
The best places to run into a bunny volunteer are along the trail as it passes near Sunrift Adventures, the Travelers Rest Main Street park area, Edwards Road, Furman University’s train car access point, Mt. Calvary Baptist Church, Mayberry Park, Linky Stone Park and the Caine Halter YMCA.
The drawing will be at 3 p.m. at a Rabbit Rally at the Peace Center Amphitheater. 5K participants and those who’ve bought a special event t-shirt are also eligible for the prize drawing, but everyone must be present to win. Tickets will start being collected as early as 2 p.m.
Prizes range from a Greenville Drive VIP package valued at more than $800 to Greenville County Recreation District family passes, PATH membership and a Greenville weekend-get-away package to the new Courtyard Marriott on Main Street.
The Swamp Rabbit trail, named “Swamp Rabbit” after the original rail line’s hopping path along the marshy Reedy River, was purchased by Greenville County in 1999.
Official web site: Greenville Hospital System Swamp Rabbit Tram Trail | Greenville Rec (http://greenvillerec.com/parks/swamp-rabbit - broken link)

Detailed unofficial interactive map of the Swamp Rabbit trail - the dark green line marks the trail:

Swamp Rabbit Trail Map - Greenville SC

It's easy to see where the trail goes relative to all the communities.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:14 PM

207 posts, read 555,840 times
thanks for the maps!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:02 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
What can we do to get involved or be supportive of the overall project? The whole greenway project for the county is most impressive and I would love to show support [including paying the taxes to do this - having greenways is so important!]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area