Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:32 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I don't think there is a prohibition of bikes on the trail. So far, the only mention of that is "somebody's friend said..."

There were bikes all along the trail last weekend, they just have to yield to pedestrians, like they do every other place on the planet I've ridden.

The use of a bell or horn should indicate that you are passing, not that you desire people to get out of your way. It's a statement, not a question.

For anyone who is looking to book it down a trail, the downtown portion isn't appealing. So expect delays or find an alternate route (not real easy, I know, but it looks like the city is working on it).
Confirmation for now: Went down there today and I saw no signs up on the areas of Swamp Rabbit Trail where I ride in Falls Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Confirmation for now: Went down there today and I saw no signs up on the areas of Swamp Rabbit Trail where I ride in Falls Park.
Pure speculation, since there's no official word: more signs at the dismount zone will be added eventually. It did require a sequence of 2 dismount signs at the metal bridge before many people walked their bikes across. The notification sign of the new policy is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Swamp Rabbit Trail Restrictions-dsc03829.jpg  

Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 5,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
This is really sad. People in other countries share their sidewalk with people on bicycles. How did pedestrians or kids get more rights than people who like to ride bikes?

I guess I will be going down there less or not at all.

Maybe Greenville Rec will stop bragging about the trail and do something about the rest of their parks.
Pedestrians and kids don't have more rights- but neither do bike riders. Bicyclist need to realize that they are part and parcel of a large and complex circulation network which makes for a functioning city. Everyone from pedestrians to delivery vans need access to and from the central business district to ensure a continued vibrancy. The circulaiton networks are not just for one type of user. They are mixed use. Just as bicyclist fight for mixed-use streets, so to do they need to acknowledge mixed-use trails.
You wouldn't expect to race a sports car throught downtown- so you shouldn't expect to race your bike through Falls Park. It's just common sense! If you want the long unencumbered ride, get outside of the CBD.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
I see the far right has joined in, would the far left like to join in too?
Actually both comments are unnecessary and not helpful to the thread, please try to stay on topic.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:46 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot_12 View Post
You wouldn't expect to race a sports car throught downtown- so you shouldn't expect to race your bike through Falls Park. It's just common sense! If you want the long unencumbered ride, get outside of the CBD.
I disagree with your premise. I do not race through park section of the swamp rabbit trail which was created for the express purpose of biking. I simply wanted the right to bike through it without risking my life on the street with cars.

It happens to be routed through portions of Falls Park. I suppose this "re-routing to side streets" was some bureaucrat's idea of progress. Be assured it will increase risk of injury to cyclists and some cyclists (like me) will simply avoid the risk by NOT RIDING there at all.

So, while I may walk down there from time to time, if the park is off limits to cyclists, then it is off limits. This cuts the SWT into two sections, a north section and a south section.

Last edited by Hobo7396; 08-09-2013 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 08:08 PM

348 posts, read 497,266 times
Default Restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Bikes aren't prohibited, there's just a mandatory dismount policy from River St through the the stone bridge below the falls. I think I can scare up a picture if anyone is interested.

Okay, I will give it a try, not happy with this, but will try it. I will not ride the streets!! Also, I am kind of in agreement with the posting about the SRT now being the North Section and the South Section. It has definitely changed the feeling for me. BTW, I consider myself a courteous bike rider and yielding and posting a warning while passing. I do not blow through the Reedy Park Area. How could you? Why is it that the joggers and walkers with their "earbuds" in place are not taken to task for being unconscious to their surroundings? I could blow a siren at these people and they would never respond. But, the bikers get the rap for being the dangerous ones! Go figure.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:04 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,998 times
There are quite a number of additional signs now, with the dismount points clearly marked. Not every bike rider walks yet, but some look around to see what others are doing before dismounting. Maybe they'll publicize this with an announcement later?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuguy2 View Post
Okay, I will give it a try, not happy with this, but will try it. I will not ride the streets!! Also, I am kind of in agreement with the posting about the SRT now being the North Section and the South Section. It has definitely changed the feeling for me. BTW, I consider myself a courteous bike rider and yielding and posting a warning while passing. I do not blow through the Reedy Park Area. How could you? Why is it that the joggers and walkers with their "earbuds" in place are not taken to task for being unconscious to their surroundings? I could blow a siren at these people and they would never respond. But, the bikers get the rap for being the dangerous ones! Go figure.
Well, maybe in 20 to 30 years they might extend the SRT down to Mauldin, Simpsonville, & Fountain Inn as promised over and over - but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:27 AM

723 posts, read 1,150,221 times
Wait, isn't this the city that aspires to be "bike friendly"?

Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 PM

271 posts, read 797,501 times
Um, I am not getting the big deal here. Granted I don't ride bikes on the SRT.....but the dismount areas seem to be high-pedestrian areas...so one would assume a biker would have slowed to a crawl anyway to avoid collision with other humans. So is getting off the bike, and walking it for a block REALLY that big of a deal? It's a akin to driving on the interstate versus driving downtown Greenville. Often the traffic is such a snail pace downtown, you can actually get somewhere just as quickly by walking. You wouldn't expect to drive the same downtown as you would on the interstate....so it is with the high-pedestrian areas of SRT versus the outskirts....you would have slowed down anyway, if you are a well-mannered biker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area