Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 12:23 AM

19 posts, read 23,901 times

Advertisements

Needed yet another baseball stadium like we all needed another hole in our head, but that was built now wasn't it?

Sides, we all like our mountains around here. If one already has been covered in houses and isn't going to be left in its natural state, then why not give us all something to enjoy? God knows, it beats the alternative. Look what that jerk did up at "The cliffs at glassy"! Multi million dollar homes all over the place, an amazing view from a bald rock face, and they make it all gated so none of us riff raff can possibly come up and enjoy the view that before they showed up, we could (Albeit with a bit of a hike heh)..... hypocritical jerks. And thats exactly what that developer was shooting for with turret peak. He's fighting to build his little Mcmansions right in front of the rock face below and reserve the whole area as yet another gated community (Original idea). The keypads have been in place for quite a while now. So, we need to get something happening soon or else it will most likely end up like glassy.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 05:29 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarstorm777 View Post
Needed yet another baseball stadium like we all needed another hole in our head, but that was built now wasn't it?

Sides, we all like our mountains around here. If one already has been covered in houses and isn't going to be left in its natural state, then why not give us all something to enjoy? God knows, it beats the alternative. Look what that jerk did up at "The cliffs at glassy"! Multi million dollar homes all over the place, an amazing view from a bald rock face, and they make it all gated so none of us riff raff can possibly come up and enjoy the view that before they showed up, we could (Albeit with a bit of a hike heh)..... hypocritical jerks. And thats exactly what that developer was shooting for with turret peak. He's fighting to build his little Mcmansions right in front of the rock face below and reserve the whole area as yet another gated community (Original idea). The keypads have been in place for quite a while now. So, we need to get something happening soon or else it will most likely end up like glassy.....
Give it up. Not going to happen.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:17 AM

376 posts, read 728,357 times
LunarStorm777

Good points. I bet if we polled Greenville residents, 90 percent of them would support this.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
LunarStorm777

Good points. I bet if we polled Greenville residents, 90 percent of them would support this.
I bet if you polled the property owners on the mountain, 100% would be against it. For that reason, this will never happen.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I bet if you polled the property owners on the mountain, 100% would be against it. For that reason, this will never happen.
Do you live on the mountain? I don't see how the private property owners can dictate what happens on other private property on the mountain. Monte Sano, Lookout Mountain, etc have large residential areas near the overlooks.

I think some people who live in the Furman area just don't want more development up that way and they think an overlook will lead to that.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:23 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Apparently we all agree that despite the potential attraction of a few curious visitors each week (yes, it would be a fascinating view for some local residents, which is the reason I would rather see a private lodge/restaurant combo), a public overlook on Paris Mountain is not actually needed by anyone. If your happiness is dependent on getting what you want, then you must follow the proper procedure and realize it does not guarantee your satisfaction.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Apparently we all agree that despite the potential attraction of a few curious visitors each week (yes, it would be a fascinating view for some local residents, which is the reason I would rather see a private lodge/restaurant combo), a public overlook on Paris Mountain is not actually needed by anyone.
Ok, well I don't think one person or a small cabal of people gets to decide that for everybody else.

They didn't need to change Main Street to 2 lanes and put up the trees. THey ddin't need to move to a baseball stadium downtown because they had a nice one out in Mauldin.

I don't think any park is needed and an overlook park would actually have more people than most.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:41 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Developing a park on top of a mountain accessible by a solitary two-lane road necessarily utilized by lots of residents and occasional emergency vehicles is quite different than developing a park in the heart of a pedestrian oriented urban area with numerous access points and wide roads nearby.

Downtown has the infrastructural capacity to support its numerous parks and plazas.

Last edited by Skyliner; 08-17-2013 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
Do you live on the mountain? I don't see how the private property owners can dictate what happens on other private property on the mountain. Monte Sano, Lookout Mountain, etc have large residential areas near the overlooks.

I think some people who live in the Furman area just don't want more development up that way and they think an overlook will lead to that.
It is called zoning, plus the property owners (Association) do dictate what goes on the mountain. They would voice way too much opposition to this idea. They have a lot of clout with the county council, the Zoning Commission and the Planning Commission. It will never happen. By the way, I do live at the foot of the mountain. I know these folks well. Also, Monte Sano is a state park and Lookout Mountain is a park and historic district. If you could find a spot inside Paris Mountain State Park for an overlook, that might work.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
It is called zoning, plus the property owners (Association) do dictate what goes on the mountain. They would voice way too much opposition to this idea. They have a lot of clout with the county council, the Zoning Commission and the Planning Commission. It will never happen. By the way, I do live at the foot of the mountain. I know these folks well. Also, Monte Sano is a state park and Lookout Mountain is a park and historic district. If you could find a spot inside Paris Mountain State Park for an overlook, that might work.
I don't think an overlook on the mountain would cost much money or aid much traffic. People are always going up there and trespassing, I assume. So the world won't end for these property owners who just want to power trip in my view. I don't think living on the mountain means you get to control what happens all over it. It is just an overlook, not DisneyWorld.

There is something called Burritt On the Mountain on Monte Sano. Not affiliated with the state park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area