Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Tesla View Post
I was surprised that the actually top of Paris Mountain was all residential. Usually these city "mountains" have nothing on them like the one in Roanoke and the one in Huntsville. Lookout Mountain is a mix of residential and the tourist area.

The trails on Paris Mountain are ok but they don't have any that offer views so I was disappointed in that. I would have gone up there all the time if I could hike along a ridge with views.

I didn't know about the Piney Mountain "lookout" so i will have to check that out.
Vulcan on Red Mountain in Birmingham. Spectacular view. Lookout in Chattanooga has the incline and observation deck at the station at the top. A shame Greenville can't do something with a natural feature (treasure), like Chattanooga, Roanoke, Brimingahm, Huntsville.

By the way, Birmingham used to (not sure if they still do), shoot their fireworks on the 4th from Vulcan on the top of Red Mountain. My partner and I had a downtown loft with a rooftop deck. We'd have 50 or so people over for a party on the 4th and gather on the deck. The fireworks coming off the mountain.....reach your arms skyward and you could almost touch them!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 AM

61 posts, read 94,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Vulcan on Red Mountain in Birmingham. Spectacular view. Lookout in Chattanooga has the incline and observation deck at the station at the top. A shame Greenville can't do something with a natural feature (treasure), like Chattanooga, Roanoke, Brimingahm, Huntsville.

By the way, Birmingham used to (not sure if they still do), shoot their fireworks on the 4th from Vulcan on the top of Red Mountain. My partner and I had a downtown loft with a rooftop deck. We'd have 50 or so people over for a party on the 4th and gather on the deck. The fireworks coming off the mountain.....reach your arms skyward and you could almost touch them!!
I been to birmingham a few times, once when i was visiting their optomotry school there since they give SC students in state tuition. Never made it up to the Vulcan though. I like the topography there and the shopping areas out on 280 seem real upscale. amazing how bad traffic is there though.

I don't think Huntsville markets Monte Sano very well. that's a nice park.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I was surprised that the actually top of Paris Mountain was all residential. Usually these city "mountains" have nothing on them like the one in Roanoke and the one in Huntsville. Lookout Mountain is a mix of residential and the tourist area.

The trails on Paris Mountain are ok but they don't have any that offer views so I was disappointed in that. I would have gone up there all the time if I could hike along a ridge with views.

I didn't know about the Piney Mountain "lookout" so i will have to check that out.
Quote:
I been to birmingham a few times, once when i was visiting their optomotry school there since they give SC students in state tuition. Never made it up to the Vulcan though. I like the topography there and the shopping areas out on 280 seem real upscale. amazing how bad traffic is there though.

I don't think Huntsville markets Monte Sano very well. that's a nice park.
Agreed. Monte Sano is beautiful. A little marketing and it could explode. A bit off topic, but IMO, Huntsville is the next great Southern city. Great topography, an educated and overall upscale population, an excellent quality of life. I grew up in Birmingham, and sad to say, but it has become of a bit of a laggard in Alabama as Huntsville grows and shines.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Agreed. Monte Sano is beautiful. A little marketing and it could explode. A bit off topic, but IMO, Huntsville is the next great Southern city. Great topography, an educated and overall upscale population, an excellent quality of life. I grew up in Birmingham, and sad to say, but it has become of a bit of a laggard in Alabama as Huntsville grows and shines.
Well Hville needs to diversify it's economy some, I think they are too reliant on government and government contractor jobs. it become a ghost town overnight if some of that government money gets funneled elswhere.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Well Hville needs to diversify it's economy some, I think they are too reliant on government and government contractor jobs. it become a ghost town overnight if some of that government money gets funneled elswhere.
True. But it does have a good degree of high tech that is not government related. It has also developed a bit as a logistics center (ie, the Cargolux international freight hub).

Old 12-17-2012, 09:50 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
Quote:
Is that why Southwest Airlines packed up and left Huntsville while expanding to Greenville-Spartanburg?

Old 12-17-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Is that why Southwest Airlines packed up and left Huntsville while expanding to Greenville-Spartanburg?
AirTran is in Huntsville, and I believe SW airlines owns them now.

Well looks like AirTran did pull out. I figured they would keep their Baltimore flight given how many of those companeis in Huntsville are also in Baltimore or northern VA.

[url=http://blog.al.com/huntsville-times-business/2012/07/fewer_flights_and_fewer_availa.html]Fewer flights and fewer available seats at Huntsville International Airport with AirTran's departure | al.com[/url]

the two roads over Monte Sano in Huntsville are fun to drive and offer nice views. they should construct a 4 lane road from Poinsett over Paris Mountain to the far side, and then put up a some new neighborhoods on the other side, like the Big Cove area in Huntsville.

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2012 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Quote:
the two roads over Monte Sano in Huntsville are fun to drive and offer nice views. they should construct a 4 lane road from Poinsett over Paris Mountain to the far side, and then put up a some new neighborhoods on the other side, like the Big Cove area in Huntsville.
While there could eventually be some merit to doing something like that in the future, I believe the NIMBYs would have an even bigger heyday with that than a relatively small public viewing space atop the mountain.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:27 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,469 times
Where the heck are you people going to get his money? We are broke.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:17 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
Where the heck are you people going to get his money? We are broke.
I see things like this as investments. We can't keep drawing families and businesses to the area if we just rest on our laurels. Natural beauty is a major selling point of this region. It's a very good investment IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area