Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 03:20 PM

17,628 posts, read 13,415,550 times

Advertisements

This is another thread that I am surprised is still active.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:02 PM

497 posts, read 485,938 times
I don't personally feel any guilt for something I'm not responsible for. I do however feel that if racism affects the way any person is treated needs to be eradicated. There are racist people of every ethnicity. I have experienced it more than once, and it's not right regardless of who is perpetrating it. The bottom line is you should only feel guilty if you yourself are the one responsible for it. Those who are victims should be blaming the individuals or entities, not the white race as a whole. That in and of itself is the definition of racism.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:34 PM

10,783 posts, read 5,713,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sorry. That doesn't work. The same logic can be used in either direction. And this sub-forum does not operate on the basis of formal debating rules.

But, I would point you to studies about how drug offense sentencing that are more prevalent in the Black inner city compare to drug offenses more frequently committed by Whites. Crack cocaine versus powdered cocaine being the prime example.
Yes, it does work. No, the same logic can’t be used in either direction. To make an extraordinary claim, and then expect others to prove it wrong is unreasonable. Reasonable people understand this.

I’m very surprised at your position on this given your experience as an educator.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,981,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
Why must there be "white guilt" to resolve racism and inequality ?

Is it not possible to empower people without vilifying other people? Isn't that a little ironic ?

"hey, life's not fair, let us make it fair, by playing unfair".

Am I the only white person that is complete exhausted from having this rhetoric everywhere, where I have to now feel guilty for the plight of a group of people when I have my own adversities to overcome, but apparently who cares about my adversity. my "people" who I have nothing to do with started this country I now live in so now I have to take on their sins. What is this? some twisted warped version of Catholicism?

you are born with sin and now, if you are born white, you are born with sin and some.

what are we getting that is important from perpetuating white guilt ?
I agree with you. I'm sick of the white guilt bull****. I'm not going to claim that racism doesn't exist. I know it does, but like most things in this country it's been taken to an extreme.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:41 PM

50,955 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Yes, it does work. No, the same logic can’t be used in either direction. To make an extraordinary claim, and then expect others to prove it wrong is unreasonable. Reasonable people understand this.

I’m very surprised at your position on this given your experience as an educator.
No "extraordinary claims" have been made. You need to do a little research about the topic. There's lots out there about the difference in sentencing between Blacks and Whites. Just Google "difference in sentencing for blacks and whites". That'll get you started.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:32 AM

827 posts, read 663,200 times
I have nothing to feel guilty about. They should feel guilty because of the things they have done to me.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 AM

50,955 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
I have nothing to feel guilty about. They should feel guilty because of the things they have done to me.
What have "they" specifically done to you?

Old 10-19-2017, 12:06 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,928,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Could it possibly be that people are incarcerated because they have been convicted of committing a crime, rather than for the color of their skin?
https://www.justice.gov/crt/file/883296/download
Quote:
Today, we announce the outcome of the Department of Justice’s investigation of the
Baltimore City Police Department (BPD).1 After engaging in a thorough investigation, initiated at
the request of the City of Baltimore and BPD, the Department of Justice concludes that there is
reasonable cause to believe that BPD engages in a pattern or practice of conduct that violates the
Constitution or federal law. BPD engages in a pattern or practice of:
(1) making unconstitutional stops, searches, and arrests;
(2) using enforcement strategies that produce severe and unjustified disparities in the rates of
stops, searches and arrests of African Americans
;
https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...ent_report.pdf
Quote:
Ferguson’s law enforcement practices are shaped by the City’s focus on revenue rather
than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional
character of Ferguson’s police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing,
and has also shaped its municipal court, leading to procedures that raise due process concerns
and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Ferguson’s
police and municipal court practices both reflect and exacerbate existing racial bias, including
racial stereotypes. Ferguson’s own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact
African Americans
. The evidence shows that discriminatory intent is part of the reason for these
disparities. Over time, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust
between parts of the community and the police department, undermining law enforcement
legitimacy among African Americans in particular.
*emphasis mine

Old 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
No "extraordinary claims" have been made. You need to do a little research about the topic. There's lots out there about the difference in sentencing between Blacks and Whites. Just Google "difference in sentencing for blacks and whites". That'll get you started.
LOL!

Whether extraordinary or not, the one making the positive assertion bears the burden of supporting that assertion. You really aren't expecting the rest of us to prove a negative, are you?

Old 10-19-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
What have "they" specifically done to you?
Seriously?!?

The problems (and the cost of those problems) in the black community are all out of proportion to their percentage of the population. That is felt by everyone.

The entire premise of this thread is whether or not there needs to be "white guilt" in order to properly address those problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.