Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:28 PM

51,004 posts, read 24,497,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
I am sure you can find the same about difference in sentencing between males and females as well, not to mention; underclass and upper class. Its also convenient to exclude Asians from the debate, as you will find that you can replace "whites" with "Asians" in your above sentence as well.

I rarely hear about "female privilege" to be a serious issue in the justice system and in encounters with the police though? Even though there is plenty of female "privilege" (according to how some define "privilege") to be found there.
So are you telling me that males and females, or Blacks and Whites, or Latinos and Asians, or males or females, or rich or poor, should get different sentences for the same crime? No. Regardless of what category you are in, you should get the same justice.

I didn't start the thread. I'm not hung up on "White Guilt" or "_____ privilege", although I do think the latter exists. I am hung up on all people of every group being treated in the same manner by our justice and governmental systems, as well as society in general. But in my view, you start working where the biggest disparities are.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:14 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,985,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So are you telling me that males and females, or Blacks and Whites, or Latinos and Asians, or males or females, or rich or poor, should get different sentences for the same crime? No. Regardless of what category you are in, you should get the same justice.

I didn't start the thread. I'm not hung up on "White Guilt" or "_____ privilege", although I do think the latter exists. I am hung up on all people of every group being treated in the same manner by our justice and governmental systems, as well as society in general. But in my view, you start working where the biggest disparities are.
So if I tell you that the disparities between Asians and blacks are just as high or higher than between whites and blacks, you will still label it "white privilege"? Even when its blatantly misleading, only to serve an agenda?

I dont think it is a coincidence that people who subscribe to the "white privilege" agenda never would talk about "female privilege" or "Asian privilege". It simply doesnt fit into the narrative.

The real disparity in America is CLASS. America is run by the almighty dollar. As long as the white privilege crowd ignores the elephant in the room, nothing will change. Political power follows economic power. And the top 0.1% ruling class has it. And the 99.9% dont. And its only getting worse. While the white privilege crowd keep telling disabled white men that they are privileged and undeserving because of their skin color, unions are getting destroyed, worker's rights decimated and the scanty public safety net dismantled.

Last edited by PCALMike; 10-19-2017 at 08:23 PM..

Old 10-19-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So if I tell you that the disparities between Asians and blacks are just as high or higher than between whites and blacks, you will still label it "white privilege"? Even when its blatantly misleading, only to serve an agenda?

I dont think it is a coincidence that people who subscribe to the "white privilege" agenda never would talk about "female privilege" or "Asian privilege". It simply doesnt fit into the narrative.

The real disparity in America is CLASS. America is run by the almighty dollar. As long as the white privilege crowd ignores the elephant in the room, nothing will change. Political power follows economic power. And the top 0.1% ruling class has it. And the 99.9% dont. And its only getting worse. While the white privilege crowd keeps telling disabled white men that they are privileged and undeserving because of the skin color, unions are getting destroyed, worker's rights decimated and the scanty public safety net dismantled.
1. Gee, it's so unique for me to respond to someone who doesn't have any agenda.

2. Oops, you sort of tripped and unintentionally agreed with me. It is about class, and who is the ruling class in this country.

At random I picked the first 3 corporations that came into my mind:

General Electric board of directors: 10 white men, 1 black man, 2 white women, 1 black woman, 1 Asian woman. Gee, that sure smacks of tokenism.

General Motors board of directors: 6 white men, 0 black men, 3 white women (better than I expected), 1 black woman, 0 Asian women

Goldman Sachs bod: 7 white men, 1 black man, 2 white women, 1 Asian man.

It's pretty clear who dominates American business.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,985,852 times
Quote:
1. Gee, it's so unique for me to respond to someone who doesn't have any agenda.

2. Oops, you sort of tripped and unintentionally agreed with me. It is about class, and who is the ruling class in this country.

At random I picked the first 3 corporations that came into my mind:

General Electric board of directors: 10 white men, 1 black man, 2 white women, 1 black woman, 1 Asian woman. Gee, that sure smacks of tokenism.

General Motors board of directors: 6 white men, 0 black men, 3 white women (better than I expected), 1 black woman, 0 Asian women

Goldman Sachs bod: 7 white men, 1 black man, 2 white women, 1 Asian man.

It's pretty clear who dominates American business.
No, the ruling class is the class with money and power. Its not "the white man". Its not "the Jew". You race obsessed people cant expect any progress when you refuse to address class and get distracted with demonizing Joe Sixpack because he has the same skin color as Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:08 PM

10,791 posts, read 5,728,047 times
Quote:
Then please discuss the substance.
Again, I’m not the one making the claim(s). If you want, make your case for the claims you are making. If you can’t support the claims you you make, I’m sure there will plenty of discussion to let you how you have fallen short.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:06 PM

12,080 posts, read 8,476,366 times
I'll help.

"In jurisprudence, the burden of proof is the concept of holding one party to a dispute or one side of a debate responsible for producing a prima facie case. If this party fails to produce a valid case, the decision will go against them, without requiring any further evidence or discussion."

Old 10-20-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'll help.

"In jurisprudence, the burden of proof is the concept of holding one party to a dispute or one side of a debate responsible for producing a prima facie case. If this party fails to produce a valid case, the decision will go against them, without requiring any further evidence or discussion."
Juris prudence is "the philosophy of law".
Debate procedures are for formal debates, which is never what this sub-forum adheres to.

This is a discussion on an internet forum. If you don't like the way a poster posts, ignore the poster. That is what I do for about 3 regular posters, and now possibly 2 more.

This particular back-and-forth has gone on long enough, and no opinions have been changed. For me, finis.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:55 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,868,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
Why must there be "white guilt" to resolve racism and inequality ?

Is it not possible to empower people without vilifying other people? Isn't that a little ironic ?

"hey, life's not fair, let us make it fair, by playing unfair".

Am I the only white person that is complete exhausted from having this rhetoric everywhere, where I have to now feel guilty for the plight of a group of people when I have my own adversities to overcome, but apparently who cares about my adversity. my "people" who I have nothing to do with started this country I now live in so now I have to take on their sins. What is this? some twisted warped version of Catholicism?

you are born with sin and now, if you are born white, you are born with sin and some.

what are we getting that is important from perpetuating white guilt ?
Until white people can, en masse, have empathy for everyone else and make serious moves to make our society more just - guilt will just have to do.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:59 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,429,682 times
Quote:
Then please discuss the substance.
You'll find that TaxPhD mostly just swipes away at questions and rarely provides answers, facts, or substance.

Frankly, I'd love to get at the issue of what WOULD be a motivator to resolve racism. Rather than endlessly whining that white guilt is stupid and uncalled for...how about figuring out what might be persuasive to get people to take action?

Or is the real issue that these folks don't believe racism exists to begin with? More socially acceptable to throw up these other issues than get to the crux of why change is so slow.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:03 PM

276 posts, read 179,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
Why must there be "white guilt" to resolve racism and inequality ?

Is it not possible to empower people without vilifying other people? Isn't that a little ironic ?

"hey, life's not fair, let us make it fair, by playing unfair".

Am I the only white person that is complete exhausted from having this rhetoric everywhere, where I have to now feel guilty for the plight of a group of people when I have my own adversities to overcome, but apparently who cares about my adversity. my "people" who I have nothing to do with started this country I now live in so now I have to take on their sins. What is this? some twisted warped version of Catholicism?

you are born with sin and now, if you are born white, you are born with sin and some.

what are we getting that is important from perpetuating white guilt ?
If you are born white and male, you are considered by some to be all of society's problems. That's textbook racism. Same could be said about black people. That also is racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.