Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:05 PM

276 posts, read 179,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcalmike View Post
i am sure you can find the same about difference in sentencing between males and females as well, not to mention; underclass and upper class. Its also convenient to exclude asians from the debate, as you will find that you can replace "whites" with "asians" in your above sentence as well.

I rarely hear about "female privilege" to be a serious issue in the justice system and in encounters with the police though? Even though there is plenty of female "privilege" (according to how some define "privilege") to be found there.
solid post!

Old 10-20-2017, 09:28 PM

10,792 posts, read 5,730,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You'll find that TaxPhD mostly just swipes away at questions and rarely provides answers, facts, or substance.
Nothing could be further from the truth. I support every positive assertion that I make, consistent with normal rules of argument. Expecting others to do the same isn’t “swiping away at questions.” If you and others don’t wish to be called out on your weak debating skills, your logical inconsistencies, and your “facts” that are anything but, work on stepping up your game.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:55 PM

51,004 posts, read 24,507,624 times
Quote:
You'll find that TaxPhD mostly just swipes away at questions and rarely provides answers, facts, or substance.

Frankly, I'd love to get at the issue of what WOULD be a motivator to resolve racism. Rather than endlessly whining that white guilt is stupid and uncalled for...how about figuring out what might be persuasive to get people to take action?

Or is the real issue that these folks don't believe racism exists to begin with? More socially acceptable to throw up these other issues than get to the crux of why change is so slow.
I think there are several factors involved in what you mention, and they are significant to different degrees.

Fear is one. I've had people here on this forum absolutely deny any fear of Blacks or increased Black influence/power. And yet, when I lived in the Washington, DC area, and would suggest going down to some event in D.C. (such as to a festival in the Adams Morgan neighborhood) or to the Eastern Market neighborhood (etc.)...there was clear and evident fear about going to predominantly Black/ethnic neighborhoods. I had teachers who would occasionally visit a student's home, but it was virtually NEVER a Black student's home, even though the failure rate among Black students was highest. And then there was the time I hired a Black assistant principal; so much discomfort, and yet he was such a very gentleman.

And yes, I think some have an unrealistic attitude toward the whole idea of racism. They look at the improvement over the decades in terms of racism and think the job is done. They resent affirmative action programs, although rarely has anyone on here actually been affected by such programs. When I have told such people that during my professional years that I was a member of the NAACP and the Southern Poverty Leadership Conference, I would so often get the reaction of, "But you're white!", as if white people can't believe in the value of improved race relations. I've actually had well-educated white people stunned when I told them I had a 2 hour conversation with Julian Bond, and say, "But he's Black!" I developed an inservice day for our teachers about the lack of improvement in minority student test scores, and had several teachers say to me, "Do you realize all these speakers are minorities?" Duh!

I'll tell you what I think the problem is -- still today so much segregation in American culture. Not organized segregation as in the past, but everyday-living segregation. As MLK said: "It is appalling that the most segregated hour of Christian America is eleven o'clock on Sunday morning."

Old 10-20-2017, 11:32 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,986,876 times
Quote:

Frankly, I'd love to get at the issue of what WOULD be a motivator to resolve racism. Rather than endlessly whining that white guilt is stupid and uncalled for...how about figuring out what might be persuasive to get people to take action?

Or is the real issue that these folks don't believe racism exists to begin with? More socially acceptable to throw up these other issues than get to the crux of why change is so slow.
What might be persuasive to get people to take action? Focus on class issues, lifting up all people, regardless of skin color. Once poverty decreases, education increases and crime levels drop, thats when we will see real change. Why is it so hard to admit this? Of course, this is also far more difficult than to endlessly whine about white privilege. Why? Because it threatens the power of the ruling class, the top 0.1%. Thats where the real power lies in America. Investing heavily in public education from pre-K to university/trade school, a national health care system, boost the trade union movement, a strong public safety net, these are huge threats to the ruling class and they are not going to give up without a fight. That's why you see the media that they own (NBC, ABC, CNN, FOX, NYTimes, WSJ, Washington Post, CBS etc) simply ignore it and focus on endless talk about "white privilege" instead. Thats no threat to them.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:05 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,174,445 times
Quote:

But other groups have been persecuted.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:25 AM

51,004 posts, read 24,507,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What do you mean...and so what?

Old 10-21-2017, 02:05 PM

35,262 posts, read 17,174,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What do you mean...and so what?
The persecution that has been inflicted on the Jews makes Negro slavery look like childs' play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates