Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 01:46 PM

10,964 posts, read 5,806,950 times

Advertisements

But for situations where someone is imprisoned for a crime they did not commit (a terrible tragedy, but not really what is being discussed here), actually committing a crime is a prerequisite for being charged and committed. And it is the commission of the crime, rather than the color of one's skin, that is the controlling factor.

Disparate impact of sentencing probably deserves a thread of its own.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:51 PM

51,338 posts, read 24,745,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
LOL!

Whether extraordinary or not, the one making the positive assertion bears the burden of supporting that assertion. You really aren't expecting the rest of us to prove a negative, are you?
I notice you didn't bother to do the search I suggested.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I notice you didn't bother to do the search I suggested.
And you would be assuming facts not in evidence. Why am I not surprised?

Old 10-19-2017, 04:56 PM

51,338 posts, read 24,745,057 times
Quote:
And you would be assuming facts not in evidence. Why am I not surprised?
Then please discuss the substance.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:58 PM

12,190 posts, read 8,580,082 times
Quote:
LOL!

Whether extraordinary or not, the one making the positive assertion bears the burden of supporting that assertion. You really aren't expecting the rest of us to prove a negative, are you?
Since most well-educated people understand your assertion as a given, I continue to raise my eyebrows over phetaroi's employment claims. He doesn't get it. Makes me weep for the state of education.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Then please discuss the substance.
Go ahead and open a new thread on the disparate impact of sentencing.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Since most well-educated people understand your assertion as a given, I continue to raise my eyebrows over phetaroi's employment claims. He doesn't get it. Makes me weep for the state of education.
It is surprising, isn’t it?

Old 10-19-2017, 05:48 PM
Status: "Trump is the BLOAT...Biggest Loser of All Time!" (set 11 days ago)

5,789 posts, read 3,622,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
Why must there be "white guilt" to resolve racism and inequality ?

Is it not possible to empower people without vilifying other people? Isn't that a little ironic ?

"hey, life's not fair, let us make it fair, by playing unfair".

Am I the only white person that is complete exhausted from having this rhetoric everywhere, where I have to now feel guilty for the plight of a group of people when I have my own adversities to overcome, but apparently who cares about my adversity. my "people" who I have nothing to do with started this country I now live in so now I have to take on their sins. What is this? some twisted warped version of Catholicism?

you are born with sin and now, if you are born white, you are born with sin and some.

what are we getting that is important from perpetuating white guilt ?
Yes, there are a few super-self-righeteous people who are so caught up in racial injustices that they forget not all white people are like that. But the majority of everyday black activists (and others) are not like that. They simply want white people to recognize the wrongs of the past, NOT in a "boo hoo, I'm so horrible sense" but in the sense of "OK, this is a serious thing we did. We need to make sure it never happens again".

Old 10-19-2017, 05:52 PM

35,476 posts, read 17,383,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Yes, there are a few super-self-righeteous people who are so caught up in racial injustices that they forget not all white people are like that. But the majority of everyday black activists (and others) are not like that. They simply want white people to recognize the wrongs of the past, NOT in a "boo hoo, I'm so horrible sense" but in the sense of "OK, this is a serious thing we did. We need to make sure it never happens again".
The problem with that is that there have been serious injustices against what are now high-achieving groups such as Asians and Jews.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:01 PM

14,221 posts, read 7,005,600 times
Quote:
No "extraordinary claims" have been made. You need to do a little research about the topic. There's lots out there about the difference in sentencing between Blacks and Whites. Just Google "difference in sentencing for blacks and whites". That'll get you started.
I am sure you can find the same about difference in sentencing between males and females as well, not to mention; underclass and upper class. Its also convenient to exclude Asians from the debate, as you will find that you can replace "whites" with "Asians" in your above sentence as well.

I rarely hear about "female privilege" to be a serious issue in the justice system and in encounters with the police though? Even though there is plenty of female "privilege" (according to how some define "privilege") to be found there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates