Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2017, 08:00 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't think the right word is "guilt". I think it's acknowledgment. Or perhaps affirmation. My feeling is that many white people do not want to admit that white privilege exists. Justifiably, black people are upset.
It's not just black people. All people of good will are appalled. Another word to consider might be "accretion" -- as in the accretion of limestone into stalagmites from years and years of water slowly dripping onto the same spot.

Quote:
WHITE PRIVILEGE is very real. When we attempt to level the playing field through affirmative action, which I fully support, some white people explode with anger. I am not sure why.
Recognition of the actual problem would directly imply an obligation to be part of the remedy. Passionate if illogical denial is perhaps the only other available option.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:01 AM

30,164 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Which is fine, although it doesn't explain why you are reading a thread you have no interest in, as well as responding in a thread you have no interest in.
The thread is interesting I was commenting that I have no white guilt at all.

I was never handed anything on a silver platter. In fact the first years of my life until I was about 8 I lived in a predominantly black community not far from Watts in Los Angeles.

Everything I have I earned. But I also did not walk around with this victim mentality like many minorities do. If you attribute everything that goes wrong by your race or the color of your skin it holds you back.

What needs to happen is get an education. Something that anyone in the this country can do if they put the effort in.

I went to a college graduation a few months back. There were blind students and students with wheelchairs and service dogs with very serious disabilities to overcome all getting awarded their degrees.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 10-15-2017 at 09:03 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 09:17 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
It seems to me that people mostly reach to racism, from either side, to justify some type of personal failure. Oh, I didn't get promoted because of white privilege/history of slavery, since I am black. Oh, I didn't get promoted because of affirmative action/political correctness, since I am white. How about I didn't get promoted because my work isn't that good? If people fixed themselves before going on about fixing the society, maybe the society wouldn't need much fixing.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:25 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
It seems to me that people mostly reach to racism, from either side, to justify some type of personal failure. Oh, I didn't get promoted because of white privilege/history of slavery, since I am black. Oh, I didn't get promoted because of affirmative action/political correctness, since I am white. How about I didn't get promoted because my work isn't that good? If people fixed themselves before going on about fixing the society, maybe the society wouldn't need much fixing.
Or, how about "I got promoted because I'm white like my boss and my boss' boss"? "I got promoted because 'like likes like' and my boss is a lot like me"? Or, "I got promoted because I'm the son-in-law of the wife of the boss' brother" (yeah, you don't even have to be a close relation to take advantage of this one!). Or "I got promoted because I was in the same fraternity as the boss"?

Old 10-15-2017, 09:29 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
I do not think many white people would be lining up to be black in America.

I do not think many black people would be lining up to be white in America - or anywhere else. I don't think most people are that self-loathing. At least I hope not.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:34 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
White people need to ask themselves if they would EVER want to exchange places with a black person. Become black. And live as they do, with judgement and suspicion, fewer opportunities to build wealth, lack of confidence in law enforcement and neighborhood segregation - which exists ALL over the US - not only in the South.
Lots of white kids around here that want to be Stephen Curry... just saying.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:35 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
Why must there be "white guilt" to resolve racism and inequality ?

Is it not possible to empower people without vilifying other people? Isn't that a little ironic ?

"hey, life's not fair, let us make it fair, by playing unfair".

Am I the only white person that is complete exhausted from having this rhetoric everywhere, where I have to now feel guilty for the plight of a group of people when I have my own adversities to overcome, but apparently who cares about my adversity. my "people" who I have nothing to do with started this country I now live in so now I have to take on their sins. What is this? some twisted warped version of Catholicism?

you are born with sin and now, if you are born white, you are born with sin and some.

what are we getting that is important from perpetuating white guilt ?
You know it's an illogical concept so why give it any validity by making it a debate?

Old 10-15-2017, 09:41 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
You are right to an extent. I know that in Chinatown in San Francisco in the past murders would go unsolved and crimes would not be reported because people would not call the police or admit to seeing any crimes happening. The department had to recruit Chinese officers that spoke Chinese to get the people there to open up.

The problem with your argument is the black community is similar in that they also are reluctant to report crimes and serve as witnesses. Same in the hispanic community where you don't rat people out.

So if anything the white community should have higher than actual reported crime figures than hispanic or black communities than actually occur because there is not cultural bias against reporting crimes and talking to the police.
Some truth to this in my city...

The neighborhood watch is very real and supported by the Police Department...

I tried to get it established in two neighborhoods where I lived and there was zero interest... as in zero.

Then I moved to a more white neighborhood with about 50% white 30% Black and 20% Asian and there was Neighborhood Watch, Telephone Tree with each home adding several points of contacts and also neighbors with access...

The difference in thinking was that of inviting in Law Enforcement opposed to keeping them out.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:49 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
no white guilt here, I worked for what i have, silly notion, nobody's buying it, make your own way, only one holding you back is you.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:51 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Or, how about "I got promoted because I'm white like my boss and my boss' boss"? "I got promoted because 'like likes like' and my boss is a lot like me"? Or, "I got promoted because I'm the son-in-law of the wife of the boss' brother" (yeah, you don't even have to be a close relation to take advantage of this one!). Or "I got promoted because I was in the same fraternity as the boss"?
The boss will promote the people with the highest work output, or his/her business will fail. That's how it actually works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.