Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 10:30 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,979,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Frankly, the media is us and it feeds us.

And what about you? In how many posts have you been dividing people up into Poles and Asian females, etc.?
Media is us? Thats a laugh. The media is concentrated into the hands of a tiny number of corporations, owned by the billionaire class.

I would never demonize an entire ethnic group as privileged and undeserving to evoke extreme emotions, thats highly counterproductive.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:33 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,938,334 times
Quote:
If you could stand back and look at what you just wrote, it would be obvious to you that you seem to be saying that since it is such a common failing of man, we cannot be held responsible. Since it is so common, we should not work to eliminate it.

Yes, that's on them...good point. So the rest of us who never practiced racial discrimination should just sit back, fold our arms, and watch it play out.

The old saying that you're either part of the solution or part of the problem seems apt here.
Imho, it seems like 'to go along to get along' is not an adequate answer either here.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Depends on what the company felt were "qualifications".
Also depends on reality-based acknowledgement of resistance to equal employment opportunities:

Executive Order 10925
by President of the United States
Establishing the President's Committee on Equal Employment Opportunity

Quote:
WHEREAS discrimination because of race, creed, color, or national origin is contrary to the Constitutional principles and policies of the United States; and

WHEREAS it is the plain and positive obligation of the United States Government to promote and ensure equal opportunity for all qualified persons, without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin, employed or seeking employment with the Federal Government and on government contracts; and

WHEREAS it is the policy of the executive branch of the Government to encourage by positive measures equal opportunity for all qualified persons within the Government; and

WHEREAS it is in the general interest and welfare of the United States to promote its economy, security, and national defense through the most efficient and effective utilization of all available manpower; and

WHEREAS a review and analysis of existing Executive orders, practices, and government agency procedures relating to government employment and compliance with existing non-discrimination contract provisions reveal an urgent need for expansion and strengthening of efforts to promote full equality of employment opportunity; and

WHEREAS a single governmental committee should be charged with responsibility for accomplishing these objectives:

NOW, THEREFORE, by virtue of the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and statutes of the United States, it is ordered as follows: ...
https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/history/35.../eo-10925.html

There was & is, not only an American Civil Rights movement, there was & is a resistance movement.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:47 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,074,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its a bit like saying that if you dont spend your effort fighting AIDS every day, then you are spreading AIDS and part of the problem. Its just extremist rhetoric.
Complaints of the sort were lodged against Ronald Reagan in his day. And they were quite apt. Until Nancy was horrified by the death from AIDS of her close friend, Rock Hudson. Then there was breast-beating and something of a paradigm shift in the White House. Hypocrisy is not a new thing here.

More to the point, the nation has many and diverse problems. No one person can solve any much less all of them on his or her own, and attempts to shame and chastise individuals for their failure to "do more" in one selected area or another are patently and pathetically fraudulent. We must all be pulling on the same rope to make headway here, and some people are quite plainly not doing so. These may well be the real problem people.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:51 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,074,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Media is us? Thats a laugh. The media is concentrated into the hands of a tiny number of corporations, owned by the billionaire class.
They make their money through an ability to attract eyeballs. A circus of sensationalizing screamers and propagandists will tend to outdraw a forum of even-tempered rationalist sorts.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:56 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,776,422 times
Quote:
Rhetoric? Vilifying? Setting all that aside, aren't you concerned that the deck is, and has been for hundreds of years, stacked against certain people, just because they were born into certain communities, of certain ethnicities?
true the deck is stacked against whites based on the color of our skin.
now every ethnic group is biased in favor of their own ethnicity but when whites are biased in favor of our own ethnicity it is called racism. The answer is not to let that make you feel like other groups have something over you. They are no better than you are.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Complaints of the sort were lodged against Ronald Reagan in his day. And they were quite apt. Until Nancy was horrified by the death from AIDS of her close friend, Rock Hudson. Then there was breast-beating and something of a paradigm shift in the White House. Hypocrisy is not a new thing here.

More to the point, the nation has many and diverse problems. No one person can solve any much less all of them on his or her own, and attempts to shame and chastise individuals for their failure to "do more" in one selected area or another are patently and pathetically fraudulent. We must all be pulling on the same rope to make headway here, and some people are quite plainly not doing so. These may well be the real problem people.
We are not talking about the elites like the president here. Do you feel that you are spreading AIDS or spreading cancer if you dont work everyday to raise awareness? Shaming and castigating individuals as "part of the problem" because of their "white privilege" who dont do enough is just highly counterproductive. You are not going anywhere by guilt tripping and demonizing. I am sure you dont feel any shame because of your "heterosexual privilege"? As a "heterosexual with privilege" are you taking responsibility for your part in a homophobic system and the perpetuation of homophobia which you benefit from or do you feel you are being accused of something you have nothing to do with? See, these accusations can be lodged against anyone. Its extremist rhetoric.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:59 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,970,131 times
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If by white privilege, you mean white people have advantages over minorities in this country, anyone but a fool can see that is true. But again that has nothing to do with the thread. Being aware of how the world works is not saying there needs to be guilt. In terms of the police shootings, all anyone wants is justice, and that justice should be whether the person is black, white or purple, and re-training, re-training to emphasize non-violent de-escalation techniques and other means of dealing with scary-looking people rather than shooting them. Why do you begrudge that so?

I'm white too, so I can assure you I am not anti-white. I KNOW there are times that being white was a distinct advantage in my life though, from my own run-ins with the police to getting jobs to getting the apartment I have. I don't feel guilty about it but yes, I want to see fair play, and there is for sure not fairness now.

I mean c'mon, a man was shot a dozen times for having a broken taillight. An unarmed man was shot in the BACK while running away. How does saying "well white people get shot too, and Asian women don't" contribute in the slightest to any real discussion of this problem and the solutions? If that many white men are gettng killed unarmed, and you fancy yourself a booster for the white man, I would think you'd be just as up in arms about all police misconduct, but most who think like you just blame those who got shot for not being subservient enough and defend the police who pulled the trigger, at least if the victims are black.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Exactly.
What you are talking about has nothing to do with "white privilege". An Asian female would have the same "privilege". What you are talking about is simply certain situations that may cause someone to be subject of discrimination. And lets make it clear, all people have certain advantages and disadvantages in life. A tall person would likely be treated differently than non-tall people in certain situations. Its stupid to call people privileged based on just one single attribute without even knowing the struggles that person deals with.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Rhetoric? Vilifying? Setting all that aside, aren't you concerned that the deck is, and has been for hundreds of years, stacked against certain people, just because they were born into certain communities, of certain ethnicities? If so, why not inform yourself about the structural obstacles they face, and pitch in to help in some way? OK, you're struggling with your own personal challenges--fair enough. But this country used to pride itself on being a meritocracy where (theoretically) everyone had a fair shake, an equal chance to improve their lot. I'd like to see it live up to that self-image, to the promise implied in that.

Furthermore, it benefits all of society to enable everyone to improve their circumstances. Everyone wins when those born to poverty and marginalization climb up the ladder. Instead of getting bogged down in perceptions of, or accusations of guilt, why not let compassion motivate you, or outrage at hidden obstacles some people face?

I'll tell you something. Most people know nothing about Native American affairs, meaning--current inequities in the system, structural obstacles to Native communities' and individuals' getting ahead. Just giving that as an example. When I talk to conservative businessmen about it, they start out ranting and throwing around stereotypes. When I bring little-known facts to light about how the system works, and specific obstacles in place, examples from Federal Indian law or examples of city housing discrimination, or whatever, people are momentarily stunned. Speechless. As they assimilate this information, they suddenly become warriors for fixing the system. They become outraged. They had no idea of what people are up against. Some of them actually choose to dedicate some effort with their peers to contribute to bringing about positive change.

Guilt is just an excuse for meaningless hand-wringing. IMO what should motivate people is genuine empathy for their fellow-citizens, and a desire to correct faults in the system, so that equal opportunity becomes a reality, not just a dream, and America can live up to its full potential and long-held ideals.
Agree with much here. Curious about your take on President Kennedy's Executive Order 10925, do you think this was a legitimate attempt to correct systemic faults?

Quote:
Establishing The President'S Committee On Equal Employment Opportunity

WHEREAS discrimination because of race, creed, color, or national origin is contrary to the Constitutional principles and policies of the United States; and 13 CFR 1960 Supp.

WHEREAS it is the plain and positive obligation of the United States Government to promote and ensure equal opportunity for all qualified persons, without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin, employed or seeking employment with the Federal Government and on government contracts; and

WHEREAS it is the policy of the executive branch of the Government to encourage by positive measures equal opportunity for all qualified persons within the Government; and

WHEREAS it is in the general interest and welfare of the United States to promote its economy, security, and national defense through the most efficient and effective utilization of all available manpower; and

WHEREAS a review and analysis of existing Executive orders, practices, and government agency procedures relating to government employment and compliance with existing non-discrimination contract provisions reveal an urgent need for expansion and strengthening of efforts to promote full equality of employment opportunity; and

WHEREAS a single governmental committee should be charged with responsibility for accomplishing these objectives:

NOW, THEREFORE, by virtue of the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and statutes of the United States, it is ordered as follows: ...
https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/history/35.../eo-10925.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates