Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2023, 07:23 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Cambium, please please please remove the photo of the dead turtle. That is horribly sad and we didn't need a photo in what is otherwise a fantastic thread and post.

I was going to ask if you'd had weird weather too. Thursday we hit 92 -- SO bizarre! Friday was I think 89 and even yesterday was mid- to high 80s when the forecast said 72. Right now it's 57 and cloudy so we're back to normal with rain expected most of this coming week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
What????? That turtle was alive and crossing the road to get to the river. Lmao. Thing was huge and in a rural area near a farm
Quote:
Exactly. I litterally stayed and watched it cross the road safely in case another vehicle came and didnt see it. Plus was interesting to watch. I was going to help it but its a snapping turtle and didnt want to get snapped at. Lol. I love nature!

Cambium, I APOLOGIZE A MILLION TIMES. This is what happens when you stupidly look at pictures on your phone -- it looked like it was on its side, DEAD, and I was horrified at seeing that in this wonderful thread. I was also flabbergasted that YOU, of all people, would post a photo of a dead turtle on the road!

BUT YOU DIDN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And again, I am so sorry!! I will never check C-D on my phone again -- my eyes must be worse than I thought!

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 08:58 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Quote:
Exactly. I litterally stayed and watched it cross the road safely in case another vehicle came and didnt see it. Plus was interesting to watch. I was going to help it but its a snapping turtle and didnt want to get snapped at. Lol. I love nature!
I wonder if getting it to bite a stick and pulling it that way would've worked? Not sure what the best way would be to move snapping turtles.

Old 04-16-2023, 09:25 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
BTW -- Want to report.. NO GNATS, NO BUGS inside where the plants are. Pouring the boiling water in the soil really does work and I can't believe I did gardening without doing it. I remember I used to have so many issues.

Quote:
Cambium, I APOLOGIZE A MILLION TIMES.
Haha, no worries. You may need to upgrade your phone though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I wonder if getting it to bite a stick and pulling it that way would've worked? Not sure what the best way would be to move snapping turtles.
Probably would pull the stick out of my hands and fling it at me. lolol

++++ Reminder To Self++++
Start Petunias earlier, like in mid February.

Old 04-23-2023, 06:29 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
April 23, 2023: Quick update.. Nothing big happening yet but I do plan on hardening them off this week. 1 week earlier than normal.

This morning I got the fire lit because its chilly

Inside this room its low 70s. Circulating fan is a must when growing plants

The greens outside sprouted

Soil temps past couple years for this time of year.. This year (white line) pretty much matching 2019 (red line) past couple weeks being very warm for this time of year. We don't stay above 60°F until May

I forgot what bulb I planted here, its regrowing. Looks awesome

Odd they are growing in multiple spots. Haha

Always surprised the squirrels and deers don't eat the Tulips

Old 04-23-2023, 06:37 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I'll trade ya my deer for yours. A few years back I planted asiatic Lillies and one morning I got up and there were tons of baby blooms out my kitchen window - so excited. I got up the next day and I gather the deer were too, as I was left with a ton of straight up stalks and nothing else. Another year I had a planter with geraniums and sweet potato vine. The next think I know they ate the sweet potato vine.

Old 04-23-2023, 07:05 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
LOVE those photos especially the last one with the tulips! And I am so jealous -- several years ago I planted something like 100 bulbs in a new flower bed in my front yard -- MAYBE a dozen came up. The next year maybe 2-3 came up. I was so disappointed. The company I bought them from (Spring Hill Nursery) gave me replacements but they didn't work either, and now their guarantee is I think 30 days but you won't even know if things will come up for several months or a year! So I haven't bought anything from them since. (And that bed ended up being totally dug up when my sewer line had to be replaced a few years ago -- UGH. That was so so so discouraging, AND the company dumped all the bricks that I had lining the perimeter! )

I just bought a bunch of flower seeds (both annuals and perennials) for re-done and new front yard beds. I've been working on them (now that I am SEMI-retired, LOL! ) and it's quite fun. This year I will PLAN a small veggie garden for my back yard (it gets lots of sun every day -- perfect Southern exposure) and will actually plant next year! Really!

Old 04-23-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
LOVE those photos especially the last one with the tulips! And I am so jealous -- several years ago I planted something like 100 bulbs in a new flower bed in my front yard -- MAYBE a dozen came up. The next year maybe 2-3 came up. I was so disappointed. The company I bought them from (Spring Hill Nursery) gave me replacements but they didn't work either, and now their guarantee is I think 30 days but you won't even know if things will come up for several months or a year! So I haven't bought anything from them since. (And that bed ended up being totally dug up when my sewer line had to be replaced a few years ago -- UGH. That was so so so discouraging, AND the company dumped all the bricks that I had lining the perimeter! )

I just bought a bunch of flower seeds (both annuals and perennials) for re-done and new front yard beds. I've been working on them (now that I am SEMI-retired, LOL! ) and it's quite fun. This year I will PLAN a small veggie garden for my back yard (it gets lots of sun every day -- perfect Southern exposure) and will actually plant next year! Really!
If you don't have time to do much work, there are still some things that are really easy to grow, just a matter of sticking a seed in the ground in late May, like squash and zucchini. Just have to mow around them.

Old 04-23-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Always surprised the squirrels and deers don't eat the Tulips

Looks like some sort of lily?

Your tulips are ahead of mine. We had one variety flower a week ago with the heatwave, but most varieties are only just starting to open or not yet blooming.

Old 04-23-2023, 02:31 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:

Memph is right, those are lily plants. The little ones growing around the big one are growing from lily bulblets that the mother plant has produced on its roots.

Old 04-24-2023, 06:12 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:

I feel your pain. The local community has won several garden awards for their blooms and every year they plant 30,000 tulip bulbs and once spent they encourage people to come and dig them up. I dug about 250 bulbs up and planted them and the following spring my yard was thriving with tulips just starting to pop their heads up. The next day - gone - the deer struck. After all that effort, every last one with the exception of one lone yellow tulip was the breakfast of the wild. So disheartening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden