Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 05:45 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Decided to do a test. Sending a front lawn sample to 2 different sources. One place is free (CT Agricultural Station), the other charges $15 (UConn Lab). Im curious if there will be a difference. Sample taken from same spot.
I got back results from UConn. Took 7 days.

They didn't do Nitrogen
Looks like I need more Phosphorus and Potassium.
My Iron is low compared to that range they have
They don't recommend Lime (which I did twice last year, usually do it once)

They recommend 10lbs of 10-20-20 per 1000sq ft

I'm curious how this data compares to the other lab now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 08:13 AM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
I was just going to ask you about this! Last night I was looking at the testing available in Windsor. With my property being farmland 100 years ago (did they use chemicals then?) and now being under flight paths I thought I'd get it tested. Last year I did a raised bed for the strawberries that never took and am thinking about moving and expanding it. We have great farming soil! But I'm worried about lead in it and it doesn't look like they test for that.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:03 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,550,658 times
Quote:
I got back results from UConn. Took 7 days.

They didn't do Nitrogen
Looks like I need more Phosphorus and Potassium.
My Iron is low compared to that range they have
They don't recommend Lime (which I did twice last year, usually do it once)

They recommend 10lbs of 10-20-20 per 1000sq ft

I'm curious how this data compares to the other lab now.
Thanks for sharing. I looked up 10-20-20 fertilizer and found one website that encourages using it the vegetable garden!

Looking forward to seeing the results of the other test. Now I want to do mine.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:33 AM

Ok...here we go... The other lab (free one) sent the results by mail, not a PDF

So lets compare.. The sample sent to the 2 different labs was from the "front lawn"

I'll let you come to conclusions... Same exact soil samples sent from the 3 spots I took and mixed into the bucket.

Ph:
CT Ag Station: 7.2
UCONN: 6.8

Nitrogen:
CT Ag Station: Low 12ppm
UCONN: Not Tested

Phosphorus:
CT Ag Station: Very High >100ppm
UCONN: Below Optimum

Potassium:
CT Ag Station: Very Low 30ppm

Calcium:
CT Ag Station: High 1600ppm

Magnesium:
CT Ag Station: High 125ppm
UCONN: Above Optimum

Iron, Copper, Lead, Boron, Zinc, Sulfur only tested with UCONN lab ($15)

So far I like the soil tests that I bought and sent in, they seem more detailed BUT the free one has what I need to know whats going on. Then again... I don't know how the ones I send in like Soil Savy how it compares to these labs.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:42 AM

Now.. Lets talk about that Garden bed sample I sent in where my Veggies are going...

INTERESTING I got Sandy Loam!! I feel blessed now after I had Clay for so many years. Ammending it has helped through the years!

Organic Matter.. Medium. Happy about that
pH: 7.9 … I need to back off on the Lime there
Nitrogen: Low 12ppm
Phosphorus: Excessive! >150ppm
Potassium: Very High >250ppm
Calcium: Very high >1600ppm
Magnesium: High 125ppm

Wonder why they recommend a 10-10-10 fert if my P & K are very high.

I should find a fert with a 20-0-0 or something since I got too much P & K happening.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:31 AM

View of the 2 Garden beds

Old 01-30-2023, 08:55 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Now that is a hot tub. I enjoyed it while on LI but decided it was not worth it to move it here. Too much of a hassle to put one in here due to the layout of my property. Favorite time of year in the winter when the snow was falling. Grabbed the thick Terry robe - getting in was a little chilly but you learned to get in fast. I do miss it.

Old 01-30-2023, 09:30 AM

19,754 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
View of the 2 Garden beds
Is that a current picture?

Old 01-30-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Now that is a hot tub. I enjoyed it while on LI but decided it was not worth it to move it here. Too much of a hassle to put one in here due to the layout of my property. Favorite time of year in the winter when the snow was falling. Grabbed the thick Terry robe - getting in was a little chilly but you learned to get in fast. I do miss it.
I'm kinda scared leaving the water in there over winter. I feel like the thing would crack the pipes underneath so I drain it out. I haven't even tried it yet, just got it delivered in the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Is that a current picture?
Yup..

Old 01-30-2023, 09:51 AM

19,754 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Wow looks warm. It was -10 here last night.

A lot of people here run their hot tubs in the winter. In fact it's sorta a religion for some, including my co-worker. When it's below zero they crank it up and sit in the tub and get drunk. Not me, no way..

Interesting reports. When my wife receives her report, she sends a copy to the extension agent and they have a chat about the findings, and then the agent made the recommendations on amendments and what to plant where (since we have 5 defined beds). That has worked out tremendously well. When I expanded the garden from 3 beds to 5, the new section was primarily comprised of very old soil and chicken manure from my neighbor. It was still a little 'hot' so the recommendation was green beans, brassicas, cabbage etc.. Over time those plants will moderate the soil. So far so good. We'll do another soil sample next spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden