Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2023, 04:23 PM

5,897 posts, read 6,102,230 times

Advertisements

Our maples are very much budding, at least the silver maples which is the most common type on my street.

Why did you cut up your sweet potato? I usually just stick a whole sweet potato in a small container of moist potting soil and then leave it on a heat mat until it starts to sprout. Then once the shoots are a decent length I start to remove them and root them in water.

I started mine a bit earlier than needed so they're already at the rooting stage, which means I'll likely end up sticking them in small containers indoors and prune them as they grow too long and then root the pruned clippings for more plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 05:17 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Our maples are very much budding, at least the silver maples which is the most common type on my street.

Why did you cut up your sweet potato? I usually just stick a whole sweet potato in a small container of moist potting soil and then leave it on a heat mat until it starts to sprout. Then once the shoots are a decent length I start to remove them and root them in water.

I started mine a bit earlier than needed so they're already at the rooting stage, which means I'll likely end up sticking them in small containers indoors and prune them as they grow too long and then root the pruned clippings for more plants.

Thanks. 1st time growing them so just following instructions. Says to cut in half. Probably speeds up the process?

Old 04-10-2023, 05:46 AM

Backyard Maple comparison photo from around April 11th timeframe.

2012 remains an anomaly even though that was on the 18th

Believe it or not, this year is behind last year (not by much) but ahead of most years since 2016

[LARGE PHOTO so you can zoom in]

Was in New Rochelle NY yesterday and it was amazing to see the difference such short distance away from me. Only 20 minutes south!
Cherry, Magnolias, Dogwoods, Hyacinths, Azaleas, all blooming

And every time I visit a new high rise is going up.
That's downtown New Rochelle back there.
#NYCSprawl

Old 04-16-2023, 05:32 AM

And another week goes by. And what a week it was. HOT & DRY.

High Temperatures (Avg is 60F)
Mon: 74°
Tues: 83°
Wed: 90°
Thurs: 90°
Friday: 70°

Less than 1/10th of rain. So I was watering out there like it was mid summer!

Soil temp went to 60°. Everything went from buds to blooms to leaves in a matter of days.

My backyard Maple April 9th vs April 16th

My Lilac tree had nothing growing last week, don't have a pic of that but in just 2 days it went from that to that.

My Tulips came out and the lawn greened up. Everything happened so fast!

Looks like Spring now. Magnolias and Cherry are blossoming

Turtle was heading towards a brook to get a drink

Old 04-16-2023, 05:44 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Cambium, please please please remove the photo of the dead turtle. That is horribly sad and we didn't need a photo in what is otherwise a fantastic thread and post.

I was going to ask if you'd had weird weather too. Thursday we hit 92 -- SO bizarre! Friday was I think 89 and even yesterday was mid- to high 80s when the forecast said 72. Right now it's 57 and cloudy so we're back to normal with rain expected most of this coming week.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Cambium, please please please remove the photo of the dead turtle. That is horribly sad and we didn't need a photo in what is otherwise a fantastic thread and post. .
What????? That turtle was alive and crossing the road to get to the river. Lmao. Thing was huge and in a rural area near a farm

Old 04-16-2023, 06:04 AM

I was tempted to start hardening off, I never did in Mid April and experience tells me to be patient as we get cold and frost till early May. Felt weird being so warm outside while everything was inside.

Brussel Sprouts 2 week difference.

Hot Peppers doing well

Tomato 2 week difference. They loved the transplant into the cups

I'm gonna need a bigger boat. Might have to expand next year and get more shelves

Lastly... Remember the soil I was testing out and how the 4 OClocks looked horrible in my seed starting ratio I used?

Can you find those? Hahaha, impressive growth after transplanting to my custom potting mix

And I have been topping some off too. Wow

This is how they looked less than 1 month ago!

Old 04-16-2023, 06:42 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Cambium, please please please remove the photo of the dead turtle. That is horribly sad and we didn't need a photo in what is otherwise a fantastic thread and post.

I was going to ask if you'd had weird weather too. Thursday we hit 92 -- SO bizarre! Friday was I think 89 and even yesterday was mid- to high 80s when the forecast said 72. Right now it's 57 and cloudy so we're back to normal with rain expected most of this coming week.
IF you look closely, his head is hunkered down and that is his right arm out there. I had to blow it up to see it too. I kind of figured it since Cam would never show a dead anything - not even a tree!

Old 04-16-2023, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
IF you look closely, his head is hunkered down and that is his right arm out there. I had to blow it up to see it too. I kind of figured it since Cam would never show a dead anything - not even a tree!
Exactly. I litterally stayed and watched it cross the road safely in case another vehicle came and didnt see it. Plus was interesting to watch. I was going to help it but its a snapping turtle and didnt want to get snapped at. Lol. I love nature!

Old 04-16-2023, 06:59 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Just a comment about the timing of the trees leafing out…. I have a river birch in full sun in the front yard. Right down the street, a neighbor has one of about the same size, but it is in partial shade.. Mine leafed out about 2 weeks before hers. I kept passing it and wondering if hers had died, but eventually it leafed out fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden