Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 04:31 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

A look at the 6am temps May 18, 2023
A lot of Wows here!

We'll see what the lows actually were

My backyard... yikes! I should start using my gas mower more. It's my fault.

Light Frost on May 18th, not something I seen here in decades!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Good luck with the plants overnight. BTW, your lawn looks awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The lawn really does look awesome, doesn't it.
Thanks but that was the old lawn... I did a complete renovation last August and did 4 test plots using Rye grass only.

I used seeds from Scotts, Pennington, GrandSlam (Ryan Knorr), and 5 Iron (United Seeds)

Don't let the Pennington and Scotts fool you here, its the worst. Weeds, thinning, and poor germination rates but I do love the color. 5 Iron is my favorite

Here's the 5 Iron in front and the old lawn on the right.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:01 AM

Big drop in soil temp this morning. Coldest soil temp since May 6th. Coldest for the date at 55.4°

I always know roots are fine, its the leaves and top growth I like to protect. Poor Onions and Potatoes. Our growing season is short enough

White line is this year

It's 50.4° in the pot with peppers.

Old 05-19-2023, 04:42 AM

May 19, 2023. Fire needed for heat inside.

And in 5 months we start heating season again That's why I say growing season is so short around here. Lucky to get 2.5 months of harvesting.

Soil temp 56.8°. How is anything supposed to grow? I know heat is coming but Spring past 10 yrs has been dragging its feet.

Old 05-28-2023, 05:51 AM

Sunday May 28, 2023 Update:

4.79 inches of rain this month.

14 days where the max temp was below normal this month. meanwhile there were only 3 in January and 8 in February.

Lettuce Carrots, Spinach looking thin but growing

Fava Beans. Look at that top layer of soil. Nasty!

Seed from 10 years ago not only germinated but producing peppers now. Not sure how, it hasn't been hot. Mean Temp this month of 56.6°F

Dahlias. Can't wait!

Potatoes and Onions. Poor things, no heat to enjoy

Cucumbers... Almost June now. They'll blow up when soil temps reach 75°. It was 59° the other day

Why do I waste my time on Broccoli/Brussels? I forgot it was a failure in the past too

This time it was instant where they were getting eaten. My canola oil/water/soap mix spray isn't working.

Old 05-28-2023, 02:20 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
It's been raining here for 2 days (Charlotte NC) and very cool for late May. I LOVE this weather and always think it's my AngloSaxon DNA coming through lol. Brought a couple potted warm-loving plants (peppers, okra, basil) inside and covered a few outside overnight.

NONE of my spinach plants germinated this year. I always blamed early heat for past failures but it's been a very cool spring so who knows the reason. Bush beans also had poor germination but the vining beans (purple) are doing well. Lettuce seeds punked out too.

Tomatoes (cherry) have been producing (and eaten often) for 2 weeks, purchased those baby plants on impulse along with some sweet peppers. After having such trouble with seeds this year that was a good $5 spent.

Old 05-28-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
NONE of my spinach plants germinated this year. I always blamed early heat for past failures but it's been a very cool spring so who knows the reason.

Sometimes I wonder too. Either they bolt too fast or don't grow right, odd. This spring wasn't hot so no idea why they didn't do well. Maybe its the rain and clouds for you?

Old 05-30-2023, 04:20 PM

You guys ever use a Timelapse camera to see when and how long the sun is hitting a particular area?

This garden bed gets 5.5-6.5hrs of sun.

Half the bed in Sun from 9:30am to 3:30pm thanks to the always growing Pine tree. Time to chop it again.

Old 05-30-2023, 06:37 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
Cool timelapse. I've never done that because I can see my entire garden from our living room windows and look out them 100 times a day. I love looking at birds and of course the garden.

My backyard is south-facing and that has been a "must-have" with every house we've bought in last 30 years.
Not much shade except under a young oak tree. Sun all day long except when it's a cloudy day haha, it just stopped raining here after 2.5 days of rain. So funny that immediately after rain stopped birds had to get a bath in birdbath.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:08 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Cool timelapse. I've never done that because I can see my entire garden from our living room windows and look out them 100 times a day. I love looking at birds and of course the garden.

My backyard is south-facing and that has been a "must-have" with every house we've bought in last 30 years.
Not much shade except under a young oak tree. Sun all day long except when it's a cloudy day haha, it just stopped raining here after 2.5 days of rain. So funny that immediately after rain stopped birds had to get a bath in birdbath.
I kid you not I spend so much time filling that bird bath. We have robins here that look like chickens they are so fat. They take one dip and then shake and a dip and a shake again and I have to fill it again. I do love it when the goldfinch and cardinal babies take a bath……baby splashes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden