Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2023, 06:07 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

I love challenges when I can figure things out and control or change routines but this is frustrating in the short growing season I already have

This morning soil continues to be under 62°. No sun for 3 days now. Nighttime air temp in the 40s

Great for me (I HATE heat) but sucks for the crops

Tomatoes still waiting for warmth

Peppers in pots rather be sleeping inside

Forget the cucumbers, they don't even want their picture taken

Canadian Wildfires continue to block the sun when it does try to come out. It got bad here yesterday and today. Worst I ever remember. Usually it's up high, near the surface

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 08:16 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
I'm like you--cloudy days are wonderful. Here in Charlotte NC it's sunny a lot, 85-88 degrees this week and plants getting big.

Weather's affect (or is it effect) on growing veggies makes me have a lot of empathy for previous generations that depended on their gardens to eat. For me it's a hobby, not life and death.

I have some peppers still in pots and some in-ground. Potted ones have bigger fruits than in-ground so far.
Tomatoes in-ground vs. in grow bags seem to have about the same cherry production.

Hope you get enough sun to get your garden producing big-time.
This year I cut back numbers of plants in grow bags (because they need to be watered more) and planning to get away to cooler areas in July-August, nearby mountains are 2 hours away. Last summer was waaay too hot.

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 06-07-2023 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-07-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I'm like you--cloudy days are wonderful. Here in Charlotte NC it's sunny a lot, 85-88 degrees this week and plants getting big.

For me it's a hobby, not life and death.

Hope you get enough sun to get your garden producing big-time..
Well, another day of chilly temps for June. Temps are actually DROPPING during the day and there are no clouds above... But there is smoke... and its thick from the Canadian Wild Fires. Smells like a campground. Poor crops

MARS OR COASTAL CONNECTICUT?
You can typically see Long Island across the way.

Sol Day 2

Old 06-08-2023, 05:22 AM

My backyard soil temperatures continue to stay in the low 60s. Here's a quick look. I'll have updated graph tomorrow. Clouds and Smoke. Nighttime air temp in the 40s.

Old 06-09-2023, 05:08 AM

Soil temp Update June 9, 2023: No real trend with soil temps since Mid May.

And this morning is only 1.7 degrees warmer than it was April 15th. Imagine that

6 days in a row with soil temps in low 60s.

Past 6 days. Highlighted below 63F and above 70F vs previous years

Old 06-09-2023, 11:39 AM

Cambium

At least you're not in Maine.
I just texted a friend near Bar Harbor to ask about smoke and air quality and she said the 2 weeks of rain (with 50 degree temps) have been keeping the smoke away. I was glad. She, like me and you, likes the cloudy days, just not smoky days.

Old 06-10-2023, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Cambium

At least you're not in Maine.
I just texted a friend near Bar Harbor to ask about smoke and air quality and she said the 2 weeks of rain (with 50 degree temps) have been keeping the smoke away. I was glad. She, like me and you, likes the cloudy days, just not smoky days.

Yup, I religiously look at the map multiple times a day and see that Maine/NH is under the Vortex above. (Upper Level Low) which is a cold pool of air aloft keeping the surface cool. This Upper low has been consistently there past 2 weeks. Interesting pattern! Once that leaves I know the heat from the south is gonna push north. Its inevitable. lol Slowest garden start in a while here.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:02 AM

June 10, 2023 Update:

Rain past 7 days: 0.20"
General Temps past 7 days: 40s at night 60s in the day

Good news is we finally got a little rain last night.
Bad news is... Soil temps continue to stay in low 60s. NUTS

Closeups

Onions: I don't even know how they are this big with soil so cold. Lol. I guess MG really works

Potatoes

Tomatoes

Lettuce and Carrots loving this weather pattern

Dahlias

Peppers

Brussel Sprouts, waste of space! Bunching Onions in the pot

Cucumbers, poor things. They like the soil above 70 and take off above 75°.

Last edited by Cambium; 06-10-2023 at 05:11 AM..

Old 06-20-2023, 01:43 PM

I'll have a garden update soon. What a month its been temp wise. Typically we hit Upper 80s/90s in June and its been feeling like Fall at times. 2nd coldest max temp for June at BDR (Bridgeport, CT)

1st Dahlia bloom of the season. Procyon.
Tuber Started indoors in March
June 20, 2023

Old 06-20-2023, 03:19 PM

Beautiful dahlia! Mine are nowhere near having a bloom, new tubers came in Mid-March I think and I didn't get them in pots until April (I think). Most will be put into large pots (tree size) so the voles can't get to the roots and kill them, then the big pots put in the garden. A few dahlias will go into a self-watering container that I have all the parts for, just no time to assemble it right now.

Here in Charlotte the weather forecast says we'll have 7 days of rain (80-90% chance per day). Yesterday got 2". That's unusual compared to other years but we're newbies of 3 years here so maybe it's not really unusual. I have a lot of indoor work to get done in the next 2 weeks so the garden work will be on hold until then (when it will be REALLY hot and humid).

Send us some of your cool weather, I'll send you our heat and humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden