Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2023, 05:51 AM

83,509 posts, read 75,260,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Cam, try a cayenne pepper spray. They don't like that.
Been gardening for 20 yrs , been there tried that. Doesn't work. #1 we get rains a lot so it washes off, #2 I can't have hot pepper on my tomato skin. I don't wanna use other urine or chemicals on my plants either

4 things that work...

1. Cat/Dog
2. Cage the plants
3. Trap & Release
4. Hunt

Don't have #1 & Prefer not to do #4. I didn't have an issue last year, lets see how bad this year is not doing anything. I may try #3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 08:00 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Been gardening for 20 yrs , been there tried that. Doesn't work. #1 we get rains a lot so it washes off, #2 I can't have hot pepper on my tomato skin. I don't wanna use other urine or chemicals on my plants either

4 things that work...

1. Cat/Dog
2. Cage the plants
3. Trap & Release
4. Hunt

Don't have #1 & Prefer not to do #4. I didn't have an issue last year, lets see how bad this year is not doing anything. I may try #3.
I have 4 dogs and 2 cats. Dogs out in the day, cats out at night. Knock on wood- no garden robbers (birds and some berries maybe). We have cottontails, big jacks and prairie dogs that will occasionally try. My male cat is an exceedingly efficient prairie dogs hunter. A few years ago the PD’s tried to expand their dog town on my property. He killed a dozen or more. Brings them and plops their decapitated bodies on the garage floor by my reloading bench. He’s a great cat.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:45 AM

Few pepper closeups.. July 18, 2023. Some are starting to ripen up now

Banana Peppers. Love these because they are sweet

Red Marconi on left, Dr Martin Carrot Red on right

The size of the Red Marconi is bigger in person. lol

Naga Jaloki. Not too hot, not too sweet and produces alot of them

Pusa Jawala. Taller plant and produces a ton of peppers. I use these for dehydrating and making flakes since they fit nicely in the trays and there is a lot of them. Slight hot

Shish-ito sweet.

I'll try to do pictures of each variety after harvesting

Old 07-18-2023, 01:55 PM

5,890 posts, read 6,093,260 times
You need to take a picture with your hand for scale! Or maybe weigh them. We have a scale now. Just harvested the first ripe sweet peppers, 3 Holy Italians. 43g overall, so 14g (0.5oz) per fruit, rather undersized, but it's usually the smallest ones that ripen first. There should be some bigger ones on the plant coming in at 2oz+. Also picked the first gypsy pepper, they taste similar to banana pepper, but are wider in shape, though not quite as blocky as a bell pepper, it weighed 104g (3.7oz). The biggest fruits this year will probably be from the overwintered chocolate cake, there's one on there that looks like it could be 6-8oz.

Old 07-18-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I have 4 dogs and 2 cats. Dogs out in the day, cats out at night. Knock on wood- no garden robbers (birds and some berries maybe). We have cottontails, big jacks and prairie dogs that will occasionally try. My male cat is an exceedingly efficient prairie dogs hunter. A few years ago the PD’s tried to expand their dog town on my property. He killed a dozen or more. Brings them and plops their decapitated bodies on the garage floor by my reloading bench. He’s a great cat.
I leave my dogs out most of the day. The vizsla is an eager hunter, but the chipmunk never strays too far from any hiding spots, same with the squirrels. The lab is less eager, and has also discovered she has a taste for our raspberries, quite a useless dog.

At least the rabbits seem to avoid our yard now. Our dogs never catch anything but some animals will at least steer clear of them.

Old 07-18-2023, 02:54 PM

Dahlia called Mystery Day. Love this one!

Procyon's coming out one by one.

I just picked this one. No label to be found. I tied the score. 2-2! Take that Squirrels. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
You need to take a picture with your hand for scale! Or maybe weigh them.
How about a 17oz water bottle? Almost that size. I'll weigh it when I harvest them

Old 07-19-2023, 02:42 PM

July 19, 2023:

The score is 3-2! Gotta be quicker my animal friends.

Over 6 inches of rain this month I'm assuming yellow leaves will be common to see (too much water). But this Hamson variety I rarely grow is reminding me why I stick to what works best. I think I'll pull this whole plant so it doesn't spread its disease. Or maybe it just can't tolerate water as good? I dont see spots actually.

Went to visit my 87 yr old Italian neighbor. Blown away. He's gotta be fertilizing them. They were all over 5 feet tall.

Can't see it here but he counted 300 green tomatoes on 110 plants.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:16 PM

Only 3 tomatoes per plant? That seems very low for 5ft tall plants...

Most of my tomatoes are 6-7ft tall now. 15-25 fruits per plant for the Pink German (some still small with a lot of bulking up to do, but much of them in the 1-8oz range).

I don't know how many fruits are growing on my Mountain Merits because they're determinates so I just let the foliage go crazy and jungle-like to the point where I can't even see most of the fruit. All I know is that I can see the bottom-most fruit which are presumably the most mature, and those are still green. But I think around 15-20 per plant. Those are the shortest plants at 5ft, they're not supposed to get any taller.

My cherry tomatoes have 100+ fruit per plant, maybe 15 fruit clusters per plant?

Last edited by memph; 07-19-2023 at 07:25 PM..

Old 07-20-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Only 3 tomatoes per plant? That seems very low for 5ft tall plants...
Smart, nice catch. I'm guessing he's fertilizing with nitrogen and not Phosphorus.

At 7am I could of taken the lead 6-2 by picking these 3. It was too firm and still too orange. So I left them

At 7:30am decided to cover 2 of the 3 with tin foil

At 11am I found this! They tied the score 3-3!!!

Old 07-20-2023, 02:49 PM

Just picked. Winning!

Score is 5-3 now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden