Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2023, 09:29 AM

5,893 posts, read 6,095,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
No 90s. No heat waves continues. Incredible!

Thats interesting because in September things slow down here but not get killed. Frost isn't until Mid October but new blooms in September do not have time to mature and ripen.

Thats because nights drop into the 40s/50s in September and days sometimes only stay in the 70s everything just starts slowing down. So technically I only have 1 good month of decent harvests.

Speaking of which...

Todays harvest

Fig tree out of control.

I pruned and tied it up. Just a bad spot for it

Bell Pepper in the pot broke off

Seeds are down

Weeding and Cleaning. Incredible Pattern continues. No dog days of summer this year!

Anyone know what this is?
Current blooms on tomatoes and peppers aren't gonna have time to turn into ripe fruits, you're right. Ditto for watermelon and cantaloupe. Winter squash still can though, along with zucchini, cucumbers, green beens (well not ripe technically, but eating stage). Last year I had winter squash set fruit in mid-September that had time to ripen before the frost - technically not 100% mature fruit since the seeds weren't viable, but the flesh turned the colour it was supposed to, and the skin was though enough for it to hold up in long term storage well into winter.

But a lot of it comes down to pepper and tomato blooms that started in July-Aug that are finally starting to ripen. I have many peppers that still haven't produced any ripe fruit, filled with green full sized peppers, that should start ripening this September.

Dunno if it's good to tie together figs like that. If it's really in the way, I suppose you can, but not ideal for the figs itself. I'm going to try to keep my figs fairly tall and skinny with mostly 1-3 main stems. They're in containers, so I can move them around according to where there's space, but from what I've read it's good to have proper ventilation and light reaching the leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 10:07 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Wow you got no heat this summer? Man that's odd! The rest of the US is baking. We had a stretch of about a week in the upper 90's. Some spots in Montana went over 100 but we did not. We're back into a traditional pattern of highs in the 80's and lows in the 50's. No humidity or rain in the forecast.

I like your cukes! That's one thing we have not been able to reliably grow here. We would like pickling cukes but can't seem to find a variety that does well. There is a community garden in Helena's 6th ward in town that does grow them well, but I suspect the in town 'heat sink' effect contributes to their vigor.

BTW- I noticed your grass seed brand- Antelope. It has a picture of a Montana native ungulate species. My daughter would cringe (she's a Biology major) because a pronghorn is not related to any antelope. It's a holdover species all it's own that roamed during the time of the mastodons in the ice age. She has corrected me more than once.

There Natalie- it has sunk in thanks to you.

Old 08-27-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Wow you got no heat this summer? Man that's odd! The rest of the US is baking. We had a stretch of about a week in the upper 90's. Some spots in Montana went over 100 but we did not. We're back into a traditional pattern of highs in the 80's and lows in the 50's. No humidity or rain in the forecast.

I like your cukes! That's one thing we have not been able to reliably grow here. We would like pickling cukes but can't seem to find a variety that does well. There is a community garden in Helena's 6th ward in town that does grow them well, but I suspect the in town 'heat sink' effect contributes to their vigor.

BTW- I noticed your grass seed brand- Antelope. It has a picture of a Montana native ungulate species. My daughter would cringe (she's a Biology major) because a pronghorn is not related to any antelope. It's a holdover species all it's own that roamed during the time of the mastodons in the ice age. She has corrected me more than once.

There Natalie- it has sunk in thanks to you.
I'm at the latitude of Jackson, WY here in Ontario and we've only had one day reach 80F this August (and just barely).

80F+ days in Centre Wellington

April: 3
May: 4
June: 4
July: 9
August: 1

Warmest day of the summer was 86.5F on June 2nd, so we haven't even had one day at 90F, not even one that came particularly close. It's been an interesting year, we've had nine 80F days in meteorological spring, but only twelve in meteorological summer.

Early September is promissing to be warm though.

The cucumber I've been growing this year has been Beit Alpha. I've already picked 30 lbs of cukes from just 3 plants, and I didn't even plant them that early (June 5) and they're still producing (albeit slowing down). They're fairly small cukes, so they're good for pickling.

Old 08-27-2023, 04:12 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
The flowers are zinnias. I grew the giant flowered mixed colors this year. They're over 4' tall now. Nobody told them that they were only supposed to be 30". They've attracted various types of bees, butterflies, a hummingbird, and a goldfinch couple.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:16 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The flowers are zinnias. I grew the giant flowered mixed colors this year. They're over 4' tall now. Nobody told them that they were only supposed to be 30". They've attracted various types of bees, butterflies, a hummingbird, and a goldfinch couple.
Thats right! Thank you! Yeah, surprised how tall they got, I just let them go and they found a way. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Early September is promissing to be warm though.
Figures. Warm fall, Hot winter, Cold Spring. Rinse, Wash Repeat. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Ha, didn't even notice the Antelope/Pronghorn. The company is based in Nebraska. Lawn Guy I watch on Youtube is from Idaho and he recommended them

Old 08-29-2023, 06:19 AM

Quote:

A few pepper plant varieties. A look at both the plant itself and the pepper

Red Marconi. Interesting how the one on the left is shortest and the one on the right is tallest.

Sh-ish-ito Sweet.

Dr Martin Carrot Red

Serrano Purple

Banana

Naga Jaloki

I'll have some more once they ripen
Follow up on the rest of the varities I have..

Dragons Spawn. Super Hot!

AJI Rainforest. They don't change color. Stay white, like raindrops? turn yellowish when left on too long.

Anaheim

Picked before ripened to red. Looks black but its like green purple brown.

Pusa Jawala. Such a high yielding plant always. I use these to make pepper flakes because I get a lot of them from just 1 plant

Old 08-29-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:

AJI Rainforest. They don't change color. Stay white, like raindrops? turn yellowish when left on too long.

This year, I tried out Aji Fantasy White. Starts out a light yellow-green, then turns increasingly white as it ripens. A baccatum variety, but quite mild. Nice flavor, high yielding and early, I like it a lot.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
This year, I tried out Aji Fantasy White. Starts out a light yellow-green, then turns increasingly white as it ripens. A baccatum variety, but quite mild. Nice flavor, high yielding and early, I like it a lot.

Cool. Maybe thats the one I got. I remember a Youtuber sent it to me. He doesn't giveaway seeds anymore. He called it AJI Rainforest so I just keep the name going. lol

Old 08-29-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Cool. Maybe thats the one I got. I remember a Youtuber sent it to me. He doesn't giveaway seeds anymore. He called it AJI Rainforest so I just keep the name going. lol
They're both capsicum baccatum looks like, and probably fairly similar, but Aji Fantasy White just turns white. Shape is slightly different too. And Aji Fantasy White is pretty mild while Aji Rainforest seems hotter. I suspect they taste similar though.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:04 AM

Whoops

I had 4 Pickle Jars in a covered pot, turned on stove and went outside to "just" get my grass seeds ready.

I then found myself raking and my wife yelling at me that the pot was spilling over. I must of been out there 20 minutes? I'm getting old

1 Jar broke.

Probably was my last bunch for the year. Wonder if I cooked the cukes in those 3 that survived.

At least they sealed. lol

Another harvest but things are slowing down now. Corn isn't from backyard. Haha

53° here this morning and crickets during the day. A reminder that fall is on the doorstep.

Dahlias still blooming

Rented an Aerator. What a workout!

Been saving some seeds this year.

I have a total of 27 Varieties of Peppers sorted by years. The Top left is 2013 which did still germinate

Serrano Purple Reg
Serrano Purple Small
Poblano
Anaheim
Naga Jaloki
AJI Rainforest
Thai Chilli
Shi****o Sweet
Chocolate Bell
Purple Jalapeño
Dr Martin Carrot Red
Chinese 5 Color
Papacello Forte
Red Marconi
Dragons Spawn
Pusa Jawala
Lima Blanca
Thunder Mountain
Royal Gold
Numex Orange Spice
Orange Habanero
Cayenne
Orange Tea Pot
Jalapeño
Banana
Big Thai Hybrid
Bell Peppers

This thing was in my way, had to yield to it. :-)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden