Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2023, 12:44 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,097,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I think I ended up with 10 pepper plants. Planted 30-ish and 17-18 germinated. 10 survived the move outside and were transplanted and doing well. Looks like they are about to set.

Planted 10 potato seeds, all germinated but they all drowned outside.

I didn't put out anything that was supposed to be direct-sown. The weather never cooperated for me.

I did end up with a number of strawberry plants but they were all new. I didn't get many strawberries though, but the ones I got were amazing. The ones I nurtured in pots all winter (from last year) died late winter.

The everbearing strawberry plant I bought last year had a few small ones on it right now.
What kind of strawberries? I have a bunch of alpine strawberries (fragaria vesca) and the smell is heavenly, much more fragrant than regular Fragaria × ananassa strawberries. It seems like the alpine strawberries are the ones that are used in perfumes, soaps, etc. The alpine strawberries aren't as productive, but if I want to pick large quantities there are some good PYO farms just down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 01:08 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Another 1"+ fell this morning, more coming.

Rain stopped so outside looking at things...

Tomato score is now 1-1. Variety is "Delicious Treat"

At least I been picking the Cherry ones. Darn heavy rains splashing dirt up high. I keep pruning low but not enough. I been using hose to spray off any dirt on stem and leaves.

Just noticed this one, Variety "Homestead"

I'd rather take my chances leaving it than pick it now, it NEVER tastes the same ripening in a bag or on counter.

Fig Tree all flattened out from the rain

Old 07-16-2023, 07:40 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
What kind of strawberries? I have a bunch of alpine strawberries (fragaria vesca) and the smell is heavenly, much more fragrant than regular Fragaria × ananassa strawberries. It seems like the alpine strawberries are the ones that are used in perfumes, soaps, etc. The alpine strawberries aren't as productive, but if I want to pick large quantities there are some good PYO farms just down the road.
I don't even know! My local garden center has June bareroot strawberries starting in March. I found them after March (probably late April) and was thrilled - got them potted up quickly and didn't lose one! But I guess you don't get as many the first year and I can't seem to keep them going over the winter (except for the everbearing which I bought for $5 (!!) at a different garden center last year)

We also have PYO farms - lots of them - and I often spend over $100 on strawberries which I cut and freeze for smoothies. I keep thinking I can do better by growing them but so far it's not working lol

Old 07-16-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I don't even know! My local garden center has June bareroot strawberries starting in March. I found them after March (probably late April) and was thrilled - got them potted up quickly and didn't lose one! But I guess you don't get as many the first year and I can't seem to keep them going over the winter (except for the everbearing which I bought for $5 (!!) at a different garden center last year)

We also have PYO farms - lots of them - and I often spend over $100 on strawberries which I cut and freeze for smoothies. I keep thinking I can do better by growing them but so far it's not working lol
We picked $200 of PYO strawberries this year - we went three times and got about 66 lbs. We ate most of them plain or with cream and maple syrup, made some strawberry rhubarb pie, and a bit of jam.

The alpine strawberries I grew were supposed to be a mix of white, yellow and red fruit, but I mostly only got to pick the white ones (variety called White Soul), since the chipmunks don't seem to realize they're ripe because of the white colour. The chipmunks have only left very few of the red ones for me to eat.

Old 07-17-2023, 04:55 AM

Quote:
We also have PYO farms - lots of them - and I often spend over $100 on strawberries which I cut and freeze for smoothies.
Quote:
We picked $200 of PYO strawberries this year - we went three times and got about 66 lbs. .
I was ready to pick strawberries, was at the farm I always go to, but when they told me the basket was $55 I was blown away and walked away. Previous years it was just $18-22.

Went to shoprite and bought a pound for $3. Sorry, that farm was price gauging people. Ridiculous to pay that much for 8 lbs.. I'm all for supporting local farms but that was ludacris

Old 07-17-2023, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just noticed this one, Variety "Homestead"

I'd rather take my chances leaving it than pick it now, it NEVER tastes the same ripening in a bag or on counter.
Well... that didn't take long. LOLOL

They will not win!

My camera caught it.
See it running away with the tomato in its mouth?

My time lapse camera caught the thief! And it was in the evening minutes after I went inside

Old 07-17-2023, 05:17 AM

Quote:
We picked $200 of PYO strawberries this year - we went three times and got about 66 lbs. We ate most of them plain or with cream and maple syrup, made some strawberry rhubarb pie, and a bit of jam.

The alpine strawberries I grew were supposed to be a mix of white, yellow and red fruit, but I mostly only got to pick the white ones (variety called White Soul), since the chipmunks don't seem to realize they're ripe because of the white colour. The chipmunks have only left very few of the red ones for me to eat.
I had to spray my plants with cayenne pepper because the fruit was being stolen too. I only had to do it once. I would love to get a patch going but am kind of limited to pots right now.

Quote:
I was ready to pick strawberries, was at the farm I always go to, but when they told me the basket was $55 I was blown away and walked away. Previous years it was just $18-22.

Went to shoprite and bought a pound for $3. Sorry, that farm was price gauging people. Ridiculous to pay that much for 8 lbs.. I'm all for supporting local farms but that was ludacris
UGH! I kind of didn't even look for that reason.

Sometimes I'd buy a quart at the farm stands. Up till last year those were $8 each which I thought was expensive. I'd get a flat or two of those through June and we'd go picking once too so that was two more flats (much cheaper). We drove out towards Litchfield county last year and I think it was just over $50 for both flats.

I hate to NOT support the local stands but my checkbook is feeling the pinch these days. I've been buying organic frozen strawberries at Trader Joe's, they are around $3.99/lb

I just checked a local farm stand and they are $15 for a quart of frozen blueberries! I know the blueberries are more scarce due to a May freeze but wow

Cam, try a cayenne pepper spray. They don't like that.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:

It was $3 CAD/lb for us, and they were much better than at the store. We also got some free rhubarb and got to pick a couple quarts of service berries for free. (I also sampled quite a few "non-marketable" strawberries in the field...)

Old 07-17-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I had to spray my plants with cayenne pepper because the fruit was being stolen too. I only had to do it once. I would love to get a patch going but am kind of limited to pots right now.

UGH! I kind of didn't even look for that reason.

Sometimes I'd buy a quart at the farm stands. Up till last year those were $8 each which I thought was expensive. I'd get a flat or two of those through June and we'd go picking once too so that was two more flats (much cheaper). We drove out towards Litchfield county last year and I think it was just over $50 for both flats.

I hate to NOT support the local stands but my checkbook is feeling the pinch these days. I've been buying organic frozen strawberries at Trader Joe's, they are around $3.99/lb

I just checked a local farm stand and they are $15 for a quart of frozen blueberries! I know the blueberries are more scarce due to a May freeze but wow

Cam, try a cayenne pepper spray. They don't like that.
One flat is 6 quarts? I think 1 quart is typically a bit under a pound. So $8-10/lb??

A lot of the local farms here are Mennonite run and their prices seem to be very fair. PYO strawberries $3/lb. Last week we got a 7lb chicken, a duck, two dozen eggs, a lamb shoulder and some pork chops (about 15-20 servings of meat) from a local farm for $65.

Does the cayenne pepper wash off the strawberries easily? If it does, that means you have to reapply after every rain? If it doesn't... how do you eat them?

Old 07-17-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
One flat is 6 quarts? I think 1 quart is typically a bit under a pound. So $8-10/lb??

A lot of the local farms here are Mennonite run and their prices seem to be very fair. PYO strawberries $3/lb. Last week we got a 7lb chicken, a duck, two dozen eggs, a lamb shoulder and some pork chops (about 15-20 servings of meat) from a local farm for $65.

Does the cayenne pepper wash off the strawberries easily? If it does, that means you have to reapply after every rain? If it doesn't... how do you eat them?
I thought it was 8 quarts but I could be wrong.

Nothing is that cheap here sadly! I went to a place that is talked about for their cheese a few weeks ago. I bought a chunk of cheese but their pork prices were pretty high. I did buy a few lbs of ground beef, I think it was $4.99/lb that day which is a good price.

Any time I've wanted to buy farm raised chicken locally it's been over $4/lb!

Good questions on the cayenne pepper - same ones I had! I ended up spraying them once, concentrating on the leaves as there weren't many fruits yet. And I only had to spray once, though they ate some other flowers that I've sprayed a few times, I wonder if the smell is enough to keep them away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden