Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 06:01 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times

Advertisements

Wow Factor. Soil temp this morning September 9, 2023 is 76.4°, that is VERY warm for this time of year. Similar to July.

There wasn't one day in August it was this warm

2 yrs ago it was 67.2° on this date

This is the grossest part of living here. See anything?

How about now? Humidity been so bad soil turning green. lol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 08:31 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,095,522 times
My soil temperature has been very consistently 61-63F early in the morning since late June. Maybe it will start to drop below that soon though as temperatures are starting to cool.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
My soil temperature has been very consistently 61-63F early in the morning since late June. Maybe it will start to drop below that soon though as temperatures are starting to cool.
Wow 60s? and you're getting all those harvests? One of the muggiest stretches for September I can remember.

Todays harvest. Sept 10, 2023.

Extended growing season with the very warm soil. No complaints for farmers and gardeners.

Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumbers still going

Cucumbers are slowing fading away. Bees still pollinating though with new blooms

Old 09-10-2023, 01:36 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Today's harvest looks lovely! I would LOVE those for my salads ...

How many different kinds of peppers do you grow? Can you substantially differentiate them by taste or are they similar with small differences? I'm not a big pepper person but maybe I could be!

Old 09-10-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

How many different kinds of peppers do you grow? Can you substantially differentiate them by taste or are they similar with small differences? I'm not a big pepper person but maybe I could be!
I "have" a total of 27 varieties but typically choose about 10 different ones each year.

I personally couldn't tell the taste difference but I did on a few of them. Unfortunately I don't eat peppers anymore. I get heartburn and indigestion. I guess I grow to dehydrate and give away. Plus its the only plant the animals dont touch. And looks pretty.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

There's very much a difference between different pepper species.

The sweet peppers you see in grocery stores are all capsicum anuum. There are subtle differences in taste. Among red peppers, generally longer, thin skinned ones (ex Jimmy Nardello) will have a stronger flavour than the bell peppers (ex California Wonder) which are crunchy, juicy, sweet, but not much else. Green peppers are just unripe red/orange/yellow peppers, and will be more bitter and grassy tasting, and less sweet. Orange/yellow might be more citrusy tasting, but I feel like half of that is just the colour playing mind games with you. Some peppers can also have brown and purple hues, but these often still have red undertones when they're ripe, and taste mostly like sweet red peppers.

There's another class of anuum peppers, which Hungarians (I'm half Hungarian) call "white peppers". Included in that group are Banana peppers (which are more or less Hungarian Wax peppers).

As well as Hungarian bell peppers, such as Gypsy peppers (which is an American bred hybrid, but still the same type of pepper as Hungarian bells).

These will eventually turn yellow, then orange-reddish, but they're generally eaten at the light green-white-light yellow stage. These have a different taste from the typical yellow/orange/red anuum peppers.

Common anuum varieties sold in stores include. They're all different varieties that are still all within the anuum species.

Sweet: Bell peppers, mini bell peppers, paprika, marconi, sweet italian (also most generic names like "long red pepper"), pimiento
White: Hungarian bell peppers, Hungarian hot wax, banana peppers
Mildly hot: cubanelle, jalapeno, poblano, fresno, Anaheim, cherry
Moderately hot to hot: cayenne, serrano, thai chillies
Green: green bells, shi****os, pepperoncini (usually pickled)

And then you have the other species of peppers. Much less common in grocery stores.

Capsicum chinense: The second most common species in stores after capsicum anuum. Most of them are very hot... or very very very hot. Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets are the most common ones in the produce aisle, those are "only" very hot. However, there are varieties that are 10x hotter, commercial usage of which is basically just limited to hot sauces, like Ghost, Reaper, Scorpion, Datil, Bhut Jolokia. The hot sauces typically only have a very small amount of these super hot peppers in them, even the hot sauces that have intimidating names and labels on them. These hot sauces are usually mostly water, sugar, and milder peppers, and then 1% of super hots.

HOWEVER. Not all chinense peppers are super hot, which is good, because they have a very unique taste that's hard to make out when your mouth is on fire. Varieties like Roulette/Habanada, Trinidad Perfume, Biquinho, Tobago Seasoning, Aji Dulce have little to no heat, but still have the unique chinense flavour, which is hard to describe but it's a unique floral/fruity fragrance. I haven't seen any of these mild chinense peppers in stores, so I have to grow them myself.

Sugar Rush Peach is a very popular one among chili fans, it does have a decent amount of kick to it, but more reasonable than the super-hots.

Capsicum baccatum: I don't think I've ever seen these in stores. But they also have a unique fragrance to them, maybe a bit citrusy. These non-anuum species really do taste quite unique, they're almost as different from each other taste wise as a tomato and an eggplant would be. The most common variety is Bishop's Crown/Mad Hatter. Cambium's Aji Rainforest is also a baccatum variety. The two baccatum varieties I'm growing are Aji Santa Cruz and Aji Fantasy White.

Capsicum Pubescens: I haven't seen these in stores either. Probably some specialty stores in LA, New York and other big cities that carry to the Latin American community carry them though. I'm hoping to taste them for the first time this year, the fruits on my plants should start ripening soon (hopefully it's soon, not much time left before frosts). Unlike other peppers, these have black seeds (instead of white) and purple flowers (instead of white), and also have fuzzy leaves. The plants also grow very large and strong and woody, like a small tree. Supposedly very juicy and thick walled with a fruity aroma. Common types of pubescens peppers include rocoto, locoto, manzano. They also prefer cooler temperatures, being native to the Andes highlands, and can tolerate light freezes (apparently, haven't seen for myself yet). My plants are about 5ft tall and 6ft wide at the moment, so it's much bigger than the typical pepper that's 2-3ft tall and wide.

Capsicum Fruitescens: Most common pepper variety of this species is tabasco. Not sure what to say about the taste other than it's hot. Maybe if I can find a milder variety of Fruitescens I would be able to taste something more than heat.

There's also many wild species, but they are quite rare and often hard to grow outside their native range.

Old 09-19-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
August 21, 2023 Harvest

Funny how the biggest harvests come 5 months after starting seeds (March) and 3 months after transplanting outside (May)
9/19/23. Final Pepper Harvest comes 1 month after the gardens biggest harvest and only 2 months after the 1st ripe ones.

Growing season is too short!

Not enough time for any new blooms but maybe there was to ripen the green ones.

I did leave these 4 pepper plants.

Tomatoes dwindling down, .

cukes stopped producing. I thought the warm soil would give me extended season but apparently they are on a timer between sunsets and chilly nights. 40s tonight

2.15" of rain fell past 36hrs.

I noticed this when I looked close. MOSS!

Saving 4 Oclock seeds

Went Apple and Pear picking at a local farm

Neighbors cat likes my porch.

Ahhhh, that time of the year.

Time to think Winter. Cleaning wood stove and soon to bring firewood stack closer to house.

They know its coming

Old 09-20-2023, 07:17 AM

My cucumbers are still producing despite soil temperatures around 55-58F in the morning and 60-62F during the day. They have some sort of disease issue, I think downy mildew, so the plants don't look good, and aren't producing a dozen+ fruits per week like they were earlier in the season. However, I'm still gets several fruits per week between my 3 plants, which is enough for cucumber salads and greek salads (but not enough for any additional pickling).

My tomatoes are still kicking. I have a lot of ripe fruit sitting on them so that I can eat them later (squirrels aren't too bad here, maybe because of our dogs, or they just have better things to eat), but the green fruit seems to be ripening as well. The late blight is still spreading, but slowly enough that they'll probably get taken out by frost in early October before they get taken out by late blight. The late blight is also largely not spreading to the fruit, I'd say only about 1-5% of fruit are affected depending on variety.

With my peppers, obviously any flowers that come now won't have time to ripen, but I still have loads of green fruit on most of my plants that I'm hoping will ripen. Certainly, there have been a decent amount of fruits that have ripened over the past week. My rocoto peppers should also be able to make it a little further into October, since they are supposed to be a bit frost hardy when mature (and they seem pretty mature - 5ft tall and 6ft wide). Their ideal temperatures are nights in the 40s and days in the 60s, which is basically the weather we've been getting since September 8, and will continue to get into October.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
My cucumbers are still producing

My tomatoes are still kicking.

With my peppers, obviously any flowers that come now won't have time to ripen, but I still have loads of green fruit on most of my plants that I'm hoping will ripen. .

I believe this is all because your garden gets double the sun I get. Sunlight is more important this time of year than air or soil temp I guess. The gardens only get like 2-4 hours now since its lower in the sky.

But still, like you said, any new blooms are pointless now, we dont have time for them to produce even if I had full sun.

FYI.. 40s again this morning and Saturday wont make it out of the 60s with rain. Normal is 70s here

Old 09-21-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I believe this is all because your garden gets double the sun I get. Sunlight is more important this time of year than air or soil temp I guess. The gardens only get like 2-4 hours now since its lower in the sky.

But still, like you said, any new blooms are pointless now, we dont have time for them to produce even if I had full sun.

FYI.. 40s again this morning and Saturday wont make it out of the 60s with rain. Normal is 70s here
There's definitely less sun than there used to be. The maples on the opposite side of the yard of my vegetable garden are now casting shade in mid-late afternoon (one section) and late morning (other section) when they previously didn't. And another tree casting shade in early afternoon. But I'd say my vegetable garden still gets 3-7 hours (compared to 6-9 hours it got in early summer).

7-day forecast calls for very steady temperatures, averaging 69F in the day (66-72F range) and 51F at night (46-55F range), which is above average (64F/46F) but still not far outside the norm. The less reliable 14 day forecast also calls for temperatures in that slightly above average territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden