Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Dude, I told ya to give it some protection. I hope it survives. If not, a good excuse to get a new one.

Keep us updated- good luck.
I knooooooow. Im a silly boy.
Not sure if I mentioned it, or if I forgot, but I actually did give it some protection... I covered it with a sheet, but it is a rather large tree, so it was not all that great of a covering.

Well, I have had it for about 5 years and it did fine when we had 8° twice, so I never dreamed that 3° lower would cause such damage. If it dies, I am not sure if I will get another one. I am really wanting to stick with stuff that will grow here without protection. I was always under the impression that these would easily survive down to 0° and it didnt get that cold at all that coldest night we had of the year and this happened... so like we mentioned, hopefully it will make a recovery. Time will tell I guess.

Thanks, I will post updates as the weeks go by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 08:20 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I knooooooow. Im a silly boy.
Not sure if I mentioned it, or if I forgot, but I actually did give it some protection... I covered it with a sheet, but it is a rather large tree, so it was not all that great of a covering.

Well, I have had it for about 5 years and it did fine when we had 8° twice, so I never dreamed that 3° lower would cause such damage. If it dies, I am not sure if I will get another one. I am really wanting to stick with stuff that will grow here without protection. I was always under the impression that these would easily survive down to 0° and it didnt get that cold at all that coldest night we had of the year and this happened... so like we mentioned, hopefully it will make a recovery. Time will tell I guess.

Thanks, I will post updates as the weeks go by.
I thought this was a particularly cold winter for our zone. Two of mine no longer have protection and made it unscathed. But they are pretty mature and robust at this point. The one I moved from a northern location to a southern one needed some protection and took some damage, although not fatal. I protected a small Sabal Louisiana and it is ok. Two needles palms look as if the cold never hit them.

Get a new one and protect for the first few winters. Eventually it acclimates and no longer needs it. Remember, even in Florida they string up light bulbs to warm the orange groves during cold spells.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:44 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Thanks SI33 for that data... I will do all of that.

I hope its not lost... its survived 5 years here, it would be a shame to see it go now. Strange though, it never got below 5° and I was under the impression these would easily survive 0°... maybe it will... time will tell.

Not sure whats going on with my Needle palm... maybe its not as hardy as most of the others? It was 30° milder than its supposed coldest surviving temperature.

Thanks again.
Windmill Palms would never survive up here in NH. We are placed in the zone 4 climate zone. I recorded two lows colder than -23F this winter and the coldest low the prior winter was only -13F! Good luck with your plam trees and pine plantings.
I just got done pruning my trees and will plant some more white pines, hemlocks, and spruces on my property once the soil softens up.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 PM

Ew, no I wouldnt think so... not even the hardiest Needle Palm probably would not make it up there. It dropped to 5° for our coldest temperature here (which was the coldest it had been in several years) and as you can see, my Windmill was toasted, which was the first in the 5 years I had owned it and it dropped to 8° last winter. Funny how 3° can make that much of a difference.

Whats strange is that my Sabal Minors did fine - they are still small, but about 1/4 way up they are still green. I didnt think they would even make it, as I gave them no protection.

My pines have done just fine, at least thats something I can be happy about. I now have almost EVERY species of pine trees that are native to the southeast planted on my lawn. Strange, I know.

I guess I have them all, or at least most of them... Lobolly pines (6), Slash pines (7), Longleaf pines (2), Pond pine (1), Sand pine (1), White pines (5), Black pine (1). I think I still need a Shortleaf pine to complete the host of SE trees.... problem is, I have nowhere left to plant it.

Other trees I have that I experimented with here were the Southern Live Oaks. I was not sure if they would make it here, but they have survived 5 northeast Tennessee winters with stride.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Windmill Palms would never survive up here in NH. We are placed in the zone 4 climate zone. I recorded two lows colder than -23F this winter and the coldest low the prior winter was only -13F! Good luck with your plam trees and pine plantings.
I just got done pruning my trees and will plant some more white pines, hemlocks, and spruces on my property once the soil softens up.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:52 AM

I am sticking a Monkey Puzzle tree into the ground next week.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:25 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,274 times
Quote:
Ew, no I wouldnt think so... not even the hardiest Needle Palm probably would not make it up there. It dropped to 5° for our coldest temperature here (which was the coldest it had been in several years) and as you can see, my Windmill was toasted, which was the first in the 5 years I had owned it and it dropped to 8° last winter. Funny how 3° can make that much of a difference.

Whats strange is that my Sabal Minors did fine - they are still small, but about 1/4 way up they are still green. I didnt think they would even make it, as I gave them no protection.

My pines have done just fine, at least thats something I can be happy about. I now have almost EVERY species of pine trees that are native to the southeast planted on my lawn. Strange, I know.

I guess I have them all, or at least most of them... Lobolly pines (6), Slash pines (7), Longleaf pines (2), Pond pine (1), Sand pine (1), White pines (5), Black pine (1). I think I still need a Shortleaf pine to complete the host of SE trees.... problem is, I have nowhere left to plant it.

Other trees I have that I experimented with here were the Southern Live Oaks. I was not sure if they would make it here, but they have survived 5 northeast Tennessee winters with stride.

Thanks again.
I just ordered a longleaf pine along with my silver saw palmetto and jelly palm from TyTy Nursery online. Are longleafs fast growers?

Old 04-10-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
I just ordered a longleaf pine along with my silver saw palmetto and jelly palm from TyTy Nursery online. Are longleafs fast growers?
If they are out of their grass-like stage they are. They stay in the grass-stage for several years to develop strong roots, then they take off like crazy. One of mine was just coming out of its grass stage when I bought it and it grew about 18 ft in two years! Unfortunately I think it was root bound and now its suffering from wallowing in the ground. I may have to end up cutting it down, but I have another thats coming out of its grass stage that I know wasnt rootbound.

How large is the one you are buying?

Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,274 times
it said it was a 2-3 ft. tall tree, but i bought it from TyTy Nursery and after doing some research, i hope i actually get what i ordered, because they sound like they scam a lot of people and dont send them the plants they order.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
it said it was a 2-3 ft. tall tree, but i bought it from TyTy Nursery and after doing some research, i hope i actually get what i ordered, because they sound like they scam a lot of people and dont send them the plants they order.
Yeah, I have never ordered from them before, but I have also heard some shady things about them. Also, last time I visited their website, I thought some of their photos were offensive and "suggestive" and a little trashy, but I guess I am old-fashioned. I dont know what plants have to do with that.

Anyway, keep me posted on what you get... hopefully it is a good one. Longleafs are hard to find online to buy. I bought both of mine off of ebay, but seems like that guy is not on there anymore selling them. The irony is I may have to end up cutting one of mine... I am guessing it was root-bound when I planted it and now its a very tall tree, but not well suited to the ground and its leaning and flopping. My other one is smaller at this time, but I dont think it will have the issue.

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I have never ordered from them before, but I have also heard some shady things about them. Also, last time I visited their website, I thought some of their photos were offensive and "suggestive" and a little trashy, but I guess I am old-fashioned. I dont know what plants have to do with that.

Anyway, keep me posted on what you get... hopefully it is a good one. Longleafs are hard to find online to buy. I bought both of mine off of ebay, but seems like that guy is not on there anymore selling them. The irony is I may have to end up cutting one of mine... I am guessing it was root-bound when I planted it and now its a very tall tree, but not well suited to the ground and its leaning and flopping. My other one is smaller at this time, but I dont think it will have the issue.

Good luck!

Yea I took a look and liked the selection and prices. The pics of young ladies, while certainly appealing in their own right, seem a bit out of place. I then found a lot of complaints about them.

I am ordering a Pindo Palm from Stokes Tropicals. Any mail order is a roll of the dice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden