Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:08 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,661 times

Advertisements

Nice picts Tenn..

the other palm specimens in the pictures are palmettos, more specifically, more than likely cabbage??..though im not 100% on that..

In the pictures of your Aunt's neighborhood, those palmettos which don't look so well may be going through transplant shock..depending on how they were pre dug in the field prior to being hauled to the present site..

The entire Sabal genus can be extremely fussy..if not down right a challenge when transplanting, especially larger specimens..this is why many of the top landscape companies with competent knowledge on this genus will very carefully prepare both the site for planting, as well as the plant itself...not just dig a hole and stuff it in it...And even then, some may not adjust..its just their nature i guess...but, when happy, all species in the genus are spectacular in their own right...

As for your windmill, looks like it's adjusting well..did you mark the newest spear(s)??..Ive already seen about an inch or so of new push on both the Flamethrower and the Borinquena (Puerto Rican royal..) by doing this..diddn't mark the Dypsis but it is settling in well...think i lost my coral tree cuttings i was attempting to air- root ( Essentially wrapping the cuttings in moss and placing in a plastic bag then hanging from the side of the patio..This technique is supposed to help semi-woody cuttings root faster by aiding in providing bottom heat..) Guess i'll have to make another trip south..Definitely wouldn't mind that!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:45 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times
Thanks.

Well, I was wanting to say that was a Cabbage palm, but the photo below is what pops up when I look up Cabbage palm and it looks different...

Yeah, those palms at the house across the street from my aunts house may be in shock... that one seen in the photo was the worst one though... the others looked decent. One or two was even still propped up with stilts. When down there I also stopped at a greenhouse that had alot of Windmills for sale... nicely sized and only $50 each.

Yeah, my new Windmill is doing excellent. I havent marked it, but the new spear in the center is fanning out now.

Sorry, I cant say the same for my other larger windmill. I think it is finished. I used the peroxide/water solution and fertilized it well, but still no signs of life. I even pulled out a couple more of the middle frond branches and it was still wet and mushy. The trunk of the tree still feels firm, but its July 1 now and its been very hot and I think I would have already seen something if it was still alive. Unfortunatly, it dont look like I am as lucky as others that thought theirs were dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Nice picts Tenn..

the other palm specimens in the pictures are palmettos, more specifically, more than likely cabbage??..though im not 100% on that..

In the pictures of your Aunt's neighborhood, those palmettos which don't look so well may be going through transplant shock..depending on how they were pre dug in the field prior to being hauled to the present site..

The entire Sabal genus can be extremely fussy..if not down right a challenge when transplanting, especially larger specimens..this is why many of the top landscape companies with competent knowledge on this genus will very carefully prepare both the site for planting, as well as the plant itself...not just dig a hole and stuff it in it...And even then, some may not adjust..its just their nature i guess...but, when happy, all species in the genus are spectacular in their own right...

As for your windmill, looks like it's adjusting well..did you mark the newest spear(s)??..Ive already seen about an inch or so of new push on both the Flamethrower and the Borinquena (Puerto Rican royal..) by doing this..diddn't mark the Dypsis but it is settling in well...think i lost my coral tree cuttings i was attempting to air- root ( Essentially wrapping the cuttings in moss and placing in a plastic bag then hanging from the side of the patio..This technique is supposed to help semi-woody cuttings root faster by aiding in providing bottom heat..) Guess i'll have to make another trip south..Definitely wouldn't mind that!!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:59 PM

Yeah..it might be time to throw in the towel on the older Windmill..as sad as i am to say that..

Sounds like it suffered enough damage this past winter to completely destroyed the crown and any chance that it might re sprout from surrounding remnant tissue..still, don't dig it out just yet..you might..and yes it is a long shot, be surprised.. In any event, look at the experience as something you have gained knowledge from..knowledge you can pass on to other people looking to try this species in marginal areas like yours..Really, thats what trialing a marginal plant species is all about.. no matter where you live..Sometimes success comes on the first attempt..sometimes it takes another..

As for the Palmettos, the only difference between what you are seeing in the picture and say, in your Aunt's neighborhood is that the tree in the picture has been cleared of all of the older, dead thatch.. This is the same treatment used on our all too common Mexican and Californian fan palms..

The trees in the prior picts. also look like they have only been in their current location for 2-4 years..and look like they are being over pruned..which is why they lack a fully rounded crown..

Old 07-04-2009, 11:59 PM

Thanks SI. Well, the larger "dead" looking Windmill is fine where it is, so I will leave it there to see what happens. Since others survived even colder weather, I think mine may have been sick anyway, or in poor soil.

Interesting, but when in Elizabethton today (about 20 miles south of here) there is this spa/pool store that has TWO LARGE Windmill palms (at least 20 ft tall) out in front that have been placed in rock-type planters and they are covered in sand. I think this is a no-no with these trees? They have not been there long and I stopped and looked close and they have $379.00 price tags on them! I hope if they paid that for these that they dont die. I am wondering if I should tell them that sand is not good for them? Or is it? I am thinking no.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:19 AM

Actually, sand might not be a bad option..as long as the palms are not in pure sand..which can be too sharp for alot of palms
(drains too fast..doesn't hold nutrients long enoug/ leaches away too quickly)

If memory serves me correctly, adding sand or pumice to the soil mix helps drain off excess moisture in heavy soil..which can help lower the potential for root or base type rotting problems..and allow better air penetration/circulation to the root zone itself

I know here at least it helps..especially with some of the more sensitive palms..and other sub tropicals like Gardenias which always have issues with our heavy clay laden stuff.. All of the newer palms i have are in a 40-60% sand/soil mix..in their containers just to get them off to a good start..Thats also what the nursery had all of theirs in as well..

The king i have in the ground is also in a 40% sand/soil mix. Once it gets large enough, it will be able to handle our rocky clay better..

Thats not a bad price they might have paid for those windmills either..ive seen them go for 450++ for a 8-10 footer in a 20 gal or 24inch box here..

Id certainly keep an eye on them as they get established..and through the up coming winter..and, at their size, they should be old enough to start flowering/setting fruit..then, if you get the chance to obtain seed, you might be able to work with this species from seed..which can have the advantage of "starting out" under your area's specific conditions..thus not having to go through an adjustment period like the parent plants might if they were not produced locally..

This is how southern California might eventually succeed with coconut palms in the future as ive mentioned before..if the famous Newport coco does produce seeds..and they have taken on a genetic characteristic which favors success there. This is also how the nursery i got my specimens from starts all their plants...since (and ive heard this from other growers ) when places like h d or lowe's get plants shipped from say Florida, they can often have a tougher time adjusting here..or have a higher die out rate..which is what i think happened with both of my larger Areca palms..one looked great untill this past spring..then gave up; The other appears to have finally re-adjusted itself..and is starting to look better then before..of course im sure only time will tell...but even some seedling plants i have of these went through the same phase..and they were purpously left to the elements last winter..

Old 07-05-2009, 03:21 PM

Thanks for that info. I was thinking it was a "no-no".

Hopefully they will be OK. I will try to get some photos next week when we are in the area again. Definitely interesting the way they have them planted.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 PM

SI33 - I finally was able to get some photos of those Windmill palms here in extreme northeast Tennessee in front of that business thats buried in sand!

here is the adjacent parking lot... you can see the Tennessee mountains in the background!

...and as you can tell by the lush greenery, we have had ALOT of rain, which I am sure has helped the trees since they are in the sand. Hopefully like you said, they will be OK.

We have had over 8 inches of rain in 5 days here at my house! You can see how lush my lawn is... (oh, btw, my Windmill still has not recovered and its August. I guess it has perished. ). My other one is doing very nicely though!

It has sure made my Longleaf pine grow well (all of this rain)

Old 08-02-2009, 12:36 AM

666 posts, read 2,536,899 times
I'm going to go ahead and guess those windmill palms in the sand are in pots and they used sand to hide it. Thats what it looks like to me anyway.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:55 AM

Nice pictures Tenn. though i think mdawg called the palms being in pots..but one at least appears as though it could be in a planter..

Either way, they both look good..like to see how they will fare the upcoming winter..

As for your long leaf..looks very healthy and progressing through the "grassy" stage nicely.. how are the others?..esp. the one which got hit by the trimmer??..

Like the picture w/the mountains in the background.Looks alot like the coastal Mountains around here..

By the way, the Rhodie? in the background( behind the long leaf) looks very happy in it's spot..wish half of the ones planted in yards around here looked that nice..

Old 08-02-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
I'm going to go ahead and guess those windmill palms in the sand are in pots and they used sand to hide it. Thats what it looks like to me anyway.
Yeah, I think they both are in pots... I saw that after reviewing on of the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Nice pictures Tenn. though i think mdawg called the palms being in pots..but one at least appears as though it could be in a planter..

Either way, they both look good..like to see how they will fare the upcoming winter..

As for your long leaf..looks very healthy and progressing through the "grassy" stage nicely.. how are the others?..esp. the one which got hit by the trimmer??..

Like the picture w/the mountains in the background.Looks alot like the coastal Mountains around here..

By the way, the Rhodie? in the background( behind the long leaf) looks very happy in it's spot..wish half of the ones planted in yards around here looked that nice..

SI33- Yeah, I think they are in pots. I wonder how long they will live in those pots? I would love to have one in my yard that tall.

Yes, my Longleaf is doing nice and is getting its first branches. My other Longleaf is very tall now... about 30 ft tall.... but its the one that about blew over in severe storm in April. So far, it seems to be holding nicely. These catch alot of wind at this stage.

That "trimmed" down tree never came back. I didnt think it would. I did transplant another Slash pine very nearby to its location. Remember the one that I had that was in the yard with alot of standing water? Its going much better now and getting new growth already... it was unhappy in its other spot, as it was actually appearing to be dying there, so it was for the best I guess.

Oh, that behind the smaller Longleaf tree is actually a 14 year old Southern Magnolia tree. Its grown alot since I planted it 14 years ago. I will have to put some before and after photos. I have a photo when I planted it in 1995.

We have some rhododendrons though.... some do good, some poorly.... most here have done fine though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden