Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:31 AM

54 posts, read 264,508 times

Advertisements

well.. my windmill palm has bit the dust. I have been too busy traveling and such I haven't checked up on it until yesterday. It had the same new spears it sprouted in the spring and I was like hmmmm. Why haven't these grown and opened up. Tugged on them all gently and they all came out.
Two weeks back I tugged on them when walking by and they were solid so the fungus must have took hold and got worse in the past few weeks.

I moved the palm from my yard in Tulsa, OK to here in Ohio when I moved last fall and have had it potted here. In Tulsa the palm took snow, ice storms in winter and 110 degree summers.
It was a tough cookie but no match for the fungus.
I originally purchased it in Paris, TX 3 hours south of Tulsa.

So it's time for a new palm and I have no idea where I can find them in Ohio.

Tennesseestorm, I assume you are in Tri-cities yes?
My hometown is Pikeville, KY about 70 miles north of Kingsport and I'm in Pikeville a lot.
Can you suggest any nurseries in the Tri-Cities where I can find a windmill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:29 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Columbus:

There are plenty of online places to order palms. Pick a fairly large one and have them overnight it to you. I bought a Pindo Palm that way and it adapted right away.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Columbus:

There are plenty of online places to order palms. Pick a fairly large one and have them overnight it to you. I bought a Pindo Palm that way and it adapted right away.
I thought about that, ordering online. Is the shipping expensive?
I like the thought of picking it out myself because of quality but I suppose ordering online they wouldn't send a crappy one right?

Old 08-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusNEWb View Post
I thought about that, ordering online. Is the shipping expensive?
I like the thought of picking it out myself because of quality but I suppose ordering online they wouldn't send a crappy one right?
I hear you. I would prefer picking one out. But local choice is limited or nonexistent for some species.

I ordered my Pindo Palm from these guys- Stokes Tropicals-Specializes in Tropical Plants, Rare, Exotic Plants, Trees

A healthy specimen of around 2 ft tall overnighted came to around $100. Cheaper than driving down to Myrtle Beach.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:48 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times
Quote:

Tennesseestorm, I assume you are in Tri-cities yes?
My hometown is Pikeville, KY about 70 miles north of Kingsport and I'm in Pikeville a lot.
Can you suggest any nurseries in the Tri-Cities where I can find a windmill?

Thats right. I am in the Tri-Cities. I buy my Windmill palms at Evergreen in Colonial Heights, which is a suburb of Kingsport, on their south side. Its off of I-81, exit 59 I think. Get off of the interstate, turn right, (if you are southbound, turn left if northbound) go a few miles until you see Food City on your left... turn left at that traffic signal, go less than a half a mile and it will be on your left. I paid $19.99 for mine, but they had larger ones for $49, but were OOS.

I imagine the same cold that got yours was the one that got mine when it dropped to 5° here for two mornings, which was the coldest it had been here in YEARS. Mine never recovered and it was 5 years old and pretty big. I have since bought and planted the other one as mentioned and its doing fine. I will take more precaution with it if temps are ever forecasted to get that cold again... hopefully not.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the info Moth and Tennesseestorm! My foxtail palm bit the dust too. It's potted and had it for years but I pulled the spear out on it the same day as the windmill. However, my mediterranean palm, canary date palm and washingtonias are thriving. go figure...

Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM

There is a random element those of us in Zone 7 and above must contend with.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info Moth and Tennesseestorm! My foxtail palm bit the dust too. It's potted and had it for years but I pulled the spear out on it the same day as the windmill. However, my mediterranean palm, canary date palm and washingtonias are thriving. go figure...
Your welcome!

Looked at my old Windmill again today and its toast. Its not coming back. That bitterly and unusually cold air that killed it also "killed back" even my Needle Palm! I was shocked! It has came back though with new foliage, but not as big as it was when I originally planted it. It also killed back my Sabal Minors, but they came back too... all but one. It didnt even phase my Sabal Birmingham! Its a super slow grower though, so it must be hardy! It also didnt even phase my Southern Live Oaks... that was a shocker.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:00 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,661 times
..Lol..you know Tenn,..i had a quick thought that the vegetation in the background was a Magnolia..Guess i should have stuck with that thought..
looks really nice tho..

..Good to hear that the Minors are doing well..

By the way, i say a preliminary outlook for the coming winter from the weather service and the south east (more so in Fl.) could be cooler this year..

How big is the Live Oak now??..

Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Yes, the Southern Mag has done well... Its 14 years old and its pretty big now. Below are the before and after pics. The after pics, I took today... see how lush everything is... thanks to all of the rain!

Minors are doing well, but grow SO SLOW!

If this below average temperature summer is indication of the upcoming winter, then we are in danger! It was our 5th coolest July on record!

Well, one Live Oak is about 5' tall now... the other is about 7' tall. The top tip of one seemed to have been killed off last winter and its not getting any new shoots there, but its growing out everywhere else and up at the trunk I guess.

The other is a smaller tree and slower growing, but it always has larger leaves.

This was taken in January of 1995... (our first and I think last snow we had that year! LOL). Note how small the tree is... the yuccas are still there too!

Same tree, same area almost 15 years later... took these today - August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
..Lol..you know Tenn,..i had a quick thought that the vegetation in the background was a Magnolia..Guess i should have stuck with that thought..
looks really nice tho..

..Good to hear that the Minors are doing well..

By the way, i say a preliminary outlook for the coming winter from the weather service and the south east (more so in Fl.) could be cooler this year..

How big is the Live Oak now??..

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 08-07-2009 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden