Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 18,055 times

Advertisements

HELP>> i just planted my Windmill Palm that i recieved in the mail. The trunk is about a foot high and the branches and leaves make it about 4-5ft. It was healthy looking when it got it. It has been about a week and over the last 2 days most of the tips are bent in the middle and the tips are brown with a little yellow. I live on the water so heavy breezes are not out of the ordinary. The palm recieves about 6-8 hours of sun and I have been watering it every other day. (not soaking) Will the wind destroy my palm? Also do you guys use tap water on your palms? Any help will be appriciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:53 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,661 times
njres123,

Just a couple questions for you...

where did you order the palm from..and is it still in the pot it was sent in??..

I ask because what you may be seeing is just some minor burn..

It is possible that the grower raised this palm either under a shade cloth or in some sort of greenhouse. Either way, when they sent you the specimen..and then it was placed in a sunlight exposure, it might not be accustomed to, this can cause delayed leaf burn..Which may disfigure a few fronds but should not be cause for alarm..

If it is still in the pot, you can place it under a shaded patio and allow it to adjust to it's surroundings, gradually increasing sun exposure..until it can readily accept a full days sun..

Also, do not fertilize it right away unless it is still in the original container shipped..freshly planted palms experience stress and adding anything to the soil within the 6-8 week adjustment period can further stress them..

I had similar leaf burn on a couple of my newer palms..especially my Chambeyronia macrocarpa even though all are still in pots housed in various areas of the yard which do not expose them to the brunt of a full day of sunlight..though they looked great once i got them home, just the trip between So Cal and here in San Jose was enough to give some of the fronds a nice burn..which only started showing about a week after they'd been placed..Newer foliage and emerging spears are nice and green..

I also had this happen last year when i purchased two trunking Dypsis lutescens (the common Areca palm) which love alot of sun.. Unlike the newer palm specimens i got from a nursery instate, these Arecas came from Florida and have required a longer re-adjustment period..and while i lost one, the other looks pretty good..and is growing well..It and my juvenile king palm i planted this past January looked pretty ratty for awhile but were still growing..

As for the wind, generally only constant exposure to a hot, dry Santa Ana like wind or super cold and dry wind can burn palm fronds.

As for watering, every 3rd day or so should be ok for the next couple weeks..then give it a deep soaking once every 5 days...and tap water is all i use on my own specimens...

A good way to track the health of your specimen is to make a mark across the newest spear emerging from the crown across any nearby more matured leaf stalks with a sharpie..If the palm is healthy, you should see the mark on the newest spear move upward from the mark on the older stalk..

And while some species are slow growers, if there isn't even the slightest amount of movement after several weeks,..that could signal that the palm isn't as healthy as it might look..Of course, to further complicate matters, palms can stall without reason..only to resume active growth..

If the palm is progressing through this sort of phase, it should look otherwise healthy..If it stalls and you notice other problems rapidly developing..thats a clear sign of a sickened palm specimen...

Old 08-08-2009, 11:04 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times
I also meant to mention some of those cut branches are because we are building a shed on that side of the tree. I forbid it to be chopped down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yes, the Southern Mag has done well... Its 14 years old and its pretty big now. Below are the before and after pics. The after pics, I took today... see how lush everything is... thanks to all of the rain!

Minors are doing well, but grow SO SLOW!

If this below average temperature summer is indication of the upcoming winter, then we are in danger! It was our 5th coolest July on record!

Well, one Live Oak is about 5' tall now... the other is about 7' tall. The top tip of one seemed to have been killed off last winter and its not getting any new shoots there, but its growing out everywhere else and up at the trunk I guess.

The other is a smaller tree and slower growing, but it always has larger leaves.

This was taken in January of 1995... (our first and I think last snow we had that year! LOL). Note how small the tree is... the yuccas are still there too!

Same tree, same area almost 15 years later... took these today - August 2009

Old 08-11-2009, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 18,055 times
hello, i am not sure how it was raised. The palm was shipped with little soil and wrapped with plastic. After a Sunday thunderstorm I noticed today the palm leaves just looked like they are melting. The tips are bent and they are sort of in a tight V, not open. For the spear it's pushing out rather quickly and looks healthy...The tree looks pretty good besides the palm leaves. Maybe they are just beaten up by the wind. By the way thank you for your reply. It is helpfull.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:02 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I also meant to mention some of those cut branches are because we are building a shed on that side of the tree. I forbid it to be chopped down!
What do you do for a white pine that has needles that are browning?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Hmmm.... not sure, because I have never seen a White pine around here that had that issue... they seem the thrive down here. I know they like water... have you had lack of rain lately? Is it your tree and how tall/old is it? Is it newly planted?

When I transplanted some Loblolly pines a few years ago, they started to brown and a couple died... I could never get one to grow in a certain spot, so I ended up planting a Longleaf pine there.... it thrives in that location.

Also, one of my Slash pines was in a spot I had mentioned before and it was browning. I took a chance and transplanted it to a location where my other was accidentally cut down, now its perking up and getting alot of new sprouts.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:07 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Mine did that too and eventually died, and I think it was because we were in a drought for a few months after I planted them. I would water them every other night and see if they get worse, if they do, try some tree fertilizer stakes. White Pines like humidity and moist soil, so if that doesn't sound like the climate in your area, you might want to consider a different pine.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
White Pines like humidity and moist soil, so if that doesn't sound like the climate in your area, you might want to consider a different pine.
Yes - thats probably why they thrive here. As mentioned, I have never seen any of these perish around here an we have TONS of them. Loblolly too, but those are the most common pines in this part of Tennessee... of course on my lawn, I have every species of southern pine there are, save for the Shortleaf pine (I think). The Slash pine is another water loving tree and I have several of those... all doing extremely well... even the ones I donated to a local wetlands park, but they planted them right along a swampy pond, so they are thriving.

*if you look in that photo of my lawn 15 years ago, if you look down the hill, thats my grandpas property... to the left, you may see a couple of smaller green evergreens... one is a Spruce tree and one is a White Pine... that White pine is now over 100 ft tall!

Good luck with the White pines!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:12 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Gents:

Happy to report that the two recent transplants (Windmills) are showing signs of a comeback. New fonds coming and possibly a new spear on one.

Last years transplant is flourishing after a less tense transition.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,057 times
I have planted 5 Windmill Palms and 2 Butia capitata last summer during Seattle's hottest week. Mine looks well 'tired'. They looks like their leaves are burned. I have looked in the centers and I see new growths coming in. We had a fairly warm January and February, also not as much rain. So I am hoping that will progress More good spring weather. I had layered 6 to 8 inches of mulch last fall. Plus they are facing the south side which gets the most sun/heat.
What I haven't seen yet, Should I be watering now? what about fertilizing? Last fall I put in Lutz Fertilizer stakes and with the result less than promising,or notknowing if I am doing everything right or wrong. Are my trees sick or am I impatient? Should I adopt a wait and see???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden