Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterear View Post
I have planted 5 Windmill Palms and 2 Butia capitata last summer during Seattle's hottest week. Mine looks well 'tired'. They looks like their leaves are burned. I have looked in the centers and I see new growths coming in. We had a fairly warm January and February, also not as much rain. So I am hoping that will progress More good spring weather. I had layered 6 to 8 inches of mulch last fall. Plus they are facing the south side which gets the most sun/heat.
What I haven't seen yet, Should I be watering now? what about fertilizing? Last fall I put in Lutz Fertilizer stakes and with the result less than promising,or notknowing if I am doing everything right or wrong. Are my trees sick or am I impatient? Should I adopt a wait and see???
What have your high and low temperatures been? I wouldn't start fertilizing unless your daytime highs were in the 60s. As far as water, you probably don't need to water a whole lot until it gets pretty warm (around 70) and the trees start to grow faster. You also don't want to water too much and rot the roots, and you could be doing that without even knowing it. In the summer I water my Butia only twice a week because it seems to like to dry out between waterings. I ordered a Windmill Palm and a Needle Palm and they should be here in a couple days. I'm not going to plant them probably until the end of March when our temps are usually around 60-65 degrees and will wait to fertilize until the end of April when our temps get into the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,106 times
By the way, Tennesseestorm, how did your Windmill do this winter? I ordered a 3 gal. Windmill and a 3 gal. Needle that should be coming in the next few days. The 3 trees I bought from TyTy last year (Longleaf Pine, Saw Palmetto, and Butia) all died, and all for different reasons. (Although the Butia might not be *quite* dead). I think the Longleaf's roots couldn't get established and grow as deep as it needed to (we have limestone about 2-3 feet beneath the surface) and my dogs would pee on it all the time. I even put fencing around it, but that didn't stop them. LOL. The Saw Palmetto was doing great until I transplanted it to another location where it could grow larger without disturbing anything, and I think it went into shock and died. And the Butia suffered from spear pull because we got down to 5 degrees here and I didn't have it protected too well.

Hopefully the Windmill and Needle will make it, because if they don't I think I'm going to give up on the whole palm thing.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:01 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Quote:
I have planted 5 Windmill Palms and 2 Butia capitata last summer during Seattle's hottest week. Mine looks well 'tired'. They looks like their leaves are burned. I have looked in the centers and I see new growths coming in. We had a fairly warm January and February, also not as much rain. So I am hoping that will progress More good spring weather. I had layered 6 to 8 inches of mulch last fall. Plus they are facing the south side which gets the most sun/heat.
What I haven't seen yet, Should I be watering now? what about fertilizing? Last fall I put in Lutz Fertilizer stakes and with the result less than promising,or notknowing if I am doing everything right or wrong. Are my trees sick or am I impatient? Should I adopt a wait and see???
Its normal for them to look "tired" after the winter, which ain't over yet. I would spray the crown with some fungicide for obvious reasons. Other than that, things should be fine.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
i have a windmill palm tree about 4 feet tall, all the leaves on it are brown due to the cold winter we had i guess, do i cut those leaves off to get new growth???

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misjule View Post
i have a windmill palm tree about 4 feet tall, all the leaves on it are brown due to the cold winter we had i guess, do i cut those leaves off to get new growth???
Are they completely brown as in dead?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Its normal for them to look "tired" after the winter, which ain't over yet. I would spray the crown with some fungicide for obvious reasons. Other than that, things should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
What have your high and low temperatures been? I wouldn't start fertilizing unless your daytime highs were in the 60s. As far as water, you probably don't need to water a whole lot until it gets pretty warm (around 70) and the trees start to grow faster. You also don't want to water too much and rot the roots, and you could be doing that without even knowing it. In the summer I water my Butia only twice a week because it seems to like to dry out between waterings. I ordered a Windmill Palm and a Needle Palm and they should be here in a couple days. I'm not going to plant them probably until the end of March when our temps are usually around 60-65 degrees and will wait to fertilize until the end of April when our temps get into the 70s.
I have checked the soiltemps (around 40 -45 F) and its still moist. In seattle its been awkward weather. we will have a couple of days of 60's then it will drop down to 40-52. My plants dont' know to grow or go back to sleep. What fungicide for? preventive? Thanks.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I have checked the soiltemps (around 40 -45 F) and its still moist. In seattle its been awkward weather. we will have a couple of days of 60's then it will drop down to 40-52. My plants dont' know to grow or go back to sleep. What fungicide for? preventive? Thanks.
Just get some fungicide for house plants. Give the palms a squirt focusing on the spear. This impedes spear rot which is a problem after a wet, cold winter. If the spear goes, so can the palm.

Otherwise, the windmill palms like the weather you are having right now.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,344 times
Windmills! A popular palm in the northern parts of the south. Then can survive tempature down to 5 degrees F. They are good in zone 7b and higher. They can be grown in zone 7a with out protection in an area sheltered from the wind. They also must have at least a foot of trunk to be as fully cold hardy as they can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden