Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:26 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times

Advertisements

-20? Wow, I cant fathom temps that low. lol. I think we have Sugar Maples here naturally and may have one in the back lawn. Its a late changing Maple and stays green normally until mid November.

White pines seem to be the most common pines here too, but not in the mountains above 2500 ft. Here in the lower elevations, it seems like White pine are most common, followed by Loblolly pines, then Short-leaf pine and then there are several non-native Longleaf pines planted in the area, which is a zone 7a and higher tree, but I know of one planted in the higher mountains of central Virginia in zone 6a that thrives. One exception is that the city 25 miles west of here seems to have more Loblolly pine than White pine, which seems strange, but true.

Oh, I went out a little while ago and poured the peroxide solution down my Windmill palm. I used a cup of peroxide to three cups of water. It sure bubbled, then ran out of the trunk as I filled the hole. I just hope its not too late.

Going to go out here shortly hopefully and plant my other Windmikll palm after this thunderstorm passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Some of the maples I have on my property include: sugar, red, silver, and norway. I like the brilliant foliage and shade they provide. Silver maples tend to have weak branches, though. I am also like birches, but they are definitely a softwood tree. The hemlocks here tend to grow closer to water or marshy areas along with birch, beech, and maple. White pines compose about 30-40% of all trees in a typical forest around here. I am right on the zone 4/zone 5 edge. The extremes of the climate range from around -20F to nearly 100F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 PM

Ah, I finally got the other Windmill planted, but I planted it in a totally different place than I had originally planned. I think its in a good spot on the southwest corner of the house... also, its in a place where it can get some rain runoff from the roof of the house, but also in a place thats well drained....

-------------
I still dont know whats going on with my Needle palm... I may have to get another... this ones looking sicker and sicker. It does look like it has some new growth on the side though... this evening I threw some potting soil with fertilizer on it.

-------------
another update of the "sick/dead" Windmill... I poured peroxide/water solution (25/75) down it earlier...

The Southern Live Oak is doing well though... but was curving, so I had to tie it some....

the other one is straight as an arrow but a much slower grower (this tree lost its leaves this past winter, but the other one did not)... ??

Old 05-28-2009, 09:30 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,661 times
Nice pictures tenn.,

As far as the peroxide treatment goes, Ive also heard the same thing regarding "cleaning" damaged palms..and will be asking more about this when i visit the palm nursery in two weeks ( which can't come soon enough!!)..

As for the needle palm,because it is a suckering/clumping species, i wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing new shoots forming near the base..and possibly at the top where it got knocked back..depending of course on how badly it got hit..This one should recover, even if all the new growth starts out as suckers off the main trunk.

As for the older windmill, if you don't see signs of life after roughly the end of July/beginning of August, its probably done..

I was thinking about some other species you might think about attempting and the Mediterranean fan palm kept coming to mind..It is supposedly as hardy..if not a little hardier than the windmill..and has a similar look, except that it is a clumping species. There is also a nice steely blue variety of this species..thought you might want to check it out..

Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Thanks!

Yeah, if you find out more about the peroxide, let me know. I hope it helps. If its not out by like when you said, August, I will pull it up.

Yeah, you may notice that the Needle palm seems to have a new growth shoot out from the lower side. I have no idea what happened to it. In early March, this thing looked perfect. All of a sudden in mid March, it started browning. I guess I should have protected it, but I guess I was thinking since it was said they will take -20° temps, I thought our 5° (and rare low) that morning would not hurt it, but I guess it did, OR I have the theory that *someone* not me, washed a car there on the driveway and some soap or something washed down on it!

Thanks for the other suggestions. I do want to also perhaps try a Cabbage palmetto, but I know this is pushing it big time! I also wish my Sabal Minors would grow faster. They are only about an inch up from the ground. Last winter browned it all the way to the ground, but they are slowly coming back. Also my Sabal Birmingham is the slowest thing I have ever seen grow. Its about 5 years old now and looks like its not grown at all. I wonder if I have planted it too deeply? It literally has the bottom of some fronds coming out of the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Nice pictures tenn.,

As far as the peroxide treatment goes, Ive also heard the same thing regarding "cleaning" damaged palms..and will be asking more about this when i visit the palm nursery in two weeks ( which can't come soon enough!!)..

As for the needle palm,because it is a suckering/clumping species, i wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing new shoots forming near the base..and possibly at the top where it got knocked back..depending of course on how badly it got hit..This one should recover, even if all the new growth starts out as suckers off the main trunk.

As for the older windmill, if you don't see signs of life after roughly the end of July/beginning of August, its probably done..

I was thinking about some other species you might think about attempting and the Mediterranean fan palm kept coming to mind..It is supposedly as hardy..if not a little hardier than the windmill..and has a similar look, except that it is a clumping species. There is also a nice steely blue variety of this species..thought you might want to check it out..

Old 05-28-2009, 11:06 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
I know around here many White Pines, including two I planted 2 years ago, have died, and I think it is from drought and heat stress, that is why I have been planting more southern pine specimens, like the Longleaf Pine, which can deal with hot and dry climates easier. I have also noticed Loblolly Pines have been doing really well around here.\

Oh and Tennessee, just make about a cup of the peroxide solution and pour it right into the trunk and down the hole where the spear used to be, and then don't water it again until it dries.
Yes, white pines do not tolerate dry conditions at all. That is why the native range is usually in the moist areas of the Appalachians and the Upper Midwest. They don't grow well at all in the Plains states. Red pines and blue spruce do better there.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:02 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,661 times
Tennessee,

Yea, i'll def. share any feedback i receive regarding the peroxide treatment..plus probably a ton of pictures..The place im going to visit grows like 800+ species of palms..so im sure to see some extremely rare species.. especially the diamond joey!!..THATS truely a beaute..lol

As far as the Palmettos..ive heard that the entire Sabal genus are slow to extremely slow growers with only a couple species being described as medium-speed growers once they form a trunk.. this genus's growth rate is followed by Dypsis decipens and Howea among some others which are also notably slow..so no, the slow growth you are seeing is just how palmettos grow..

Ive read that even small specimens can easily be killed via transplanting..so even if you did plant it a little deep..don't attempt to move it.. Ive also read that large specimens have to go through a somewhat complicated process before being readied for transplant from nursery fields..and that this process doesn't always gurantee success once they are placed..

Perhaps this is why i don't see them planted more often out this way..

They certainly look alot nicer then our way too common Mexican fan..

Old 05-30-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, white pines do not tolerate dry conditions at all. That is why the native range is usually in the moist areas of the Appalachians and the Upper Midwest. They don't grow well at all in the Plains states. Red pines and blue spruce do better there.
Yeah, well we get alot of rain here, so probably why we have so many.... Loblolly and Shortleaf pines like alot of water too, which are the #2 and #3 pines in our area. Slash pines are real water lovers.... thats the one I have 7 or 8 of. I have a couple in drier areas and they do fine too. These are zone 7A and higher though. Loblolly are zone 6A and higher I am told, but you dont see too many north of here, except perhaps on the eastern coastal plains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Tennessee,

Yea, i'll def. share any feedback i receive regarding the peroxide treatment..plus probably a ton of pictures..The place im going to visit grows like 800+ species of palms..so im sure to see some extremely rare species.. especially the diamond joey!!..THATS truely a beaute..lol

As far as the Palmettos..ive heard that the entire Sabal genus are slow to extremely slow growers with only a couple species being described as medium-speed growers once they form a trunk.. this genus's growth rate is followed by Dypsis decipens and Howea among some others which are also notably slow..so no, the slow growth you are seeing is just how palmettos grow..

Ive read that even small specimens can easily be killed via transplanting..so even if you did plant it a little deep..don't attempt to move it.. Ive also read that large specimens have to go through a somewhat complicated process before being readied for transplant from nursery fields..and that this process doesn't always gurantee success once they are placed..

Perhaps this is why i don't see them planted more often out this way..

They certainly look alot nicer then our way too common Mexican fan..

Yes, thanks! I am impatient, so perhaps a Cabbage Palmetto is not a good choice for me. lol. My Sabal Minors and Sabal Birmingham are slow enough. lol.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 7,199 times
I planted a windmill palm a year ago- we live in Northern Virginia. We picked a good spot in area that drains down towards our pool, but do have heavy clay soil, and over the year, it seemed to sink down and get heavy. This spring we have had very high rainfall and water was sitting around plant. I saw it was in big trouble- was afraid it was dead. We did two things. Dug it up and filled hole with a mixture of leaf mold, humus, bone meal, finely ground pine bark mulch and some native soil.Then we placed the tree on top of this and put the rest of this mixture over it- creating a berm that water would run off of, and giving the roots a lighter and drier enviorment. They were soaked and beginning to rot when we dug it up. Then, I had found (online) a palm tree fertilizer made by Miracle Gro. No nurseries or hardware stores around here carry it. So, I got it online and added after replanting. We have had about 8 inches of rain over these past 3-4 weeks since we did this- and the tree has completely come back to life. It has gotten green again, has 2 new fronds and is actually shooting up in size. The right soil, right sheltered location (from wind and harsh elements- we have it between a deck and a stand of small trees/bushes, in good sun) and fertilizing it, seem to have made all the difference. If your tree is not completely dead, you could save it by following these steps. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:52 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, well we get alot of rain here, so probably why we have so many.... Loblolly and Shortleaf pines like alot of water too, which are the #2 and #3 pines in our area. Slash pines are real water lovers.... thats the one I have 7 or 8 of. I have a couple in drier areas and they do fine too. These are zone 7A and higher though. Loblolly are zone 6A and higher I am told, but you dont see too many north of here, except perhaps on the eastern coastal plains.
Well, I somewhat take back my prior statement. We have had so much rainfall here in NH the past few years that some of the white pines are exhibiting yellow needles due to root rot. This is more common in soils that drainage issues as well as less solar radiation exposure. Young pines generally like full to partial sun. They exhibit a narrow growth structure when mostly shade grown.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:20 PM

I was in upstate South Carolina today visiting some relatives and again, I was able to snap alot of photos of some large Windmill palms and some of other palms as well. These were taken in the Anderson South Carolina area, which is about 30 miles east of the Georgia state line and about 700 ft in elevation.

These are just the ones I seen by glancing around....

these are going into the subdivision where my cousin lives... these are not Windmill palms though...
I cant think... what are these? Refresh my memory.

look to the far right, you can see the Windmill palm in front of the house...

Palm tree in my aunts neighborhood... her neighbors had just put in a large pool and had 6 palm trees brought in... these were just put here, which may be why they are looking glum?

more in the area... look to far right

this lawn is FULL of Windmill palms...

Puh, look at my measley Windmill in comparison...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden