Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:04 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by z5apalms View Post
Moth, Do you have any pictures of your trachycarpus fortunei? I grow musa basjoo, sabal minor, livistona chinesis, Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and soon nannorrhops ritchiana. here in my zone 5a, however if anyone would like to see pictures, check out, Webshots - Photo Sharing, Free Wallpaper and Free Screensavers and type in Ottawa_hardy_tropicals
So by your pictures, it looks like you just chop off your musa basjoos and cover them with a "rosebush cover", for lack of a better term. I'll be wintering my first musa this winter in Denver, and I think we're a zone 5b? It gets down to 0 - -5 most winters, but 3 above was the coldest last winter. Typical night temps in late Dec/early Jan are in the mid teens, but it can get quite warm during the day, 50s up to even 70 in Dec. and Jan. on occassion. The sun's fairly strong at this altitude too in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 07:40 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,899 times
i have a chinese windmill palm, i live in kentucky, zone 7, and was wondering what i need to do to it before winter comes? it is about 3 or 4 feet tall, but the trunk is not very big yet, maybe 6-8inches tall and 2-3 inches wide, and when i bought it, it came with 2 or 3 palms bunched together. should i try and seperate the palms? and how and when should i do this? thanks.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:24 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
i have a chinese windmill palm, i live in kentucky, zone 7, and was wondering what i need to do to it before winter comes? it is about 3 or 4 feet tall, but the trunk is not very big yet, maybe 6-8inches tall and 2-3 inches wide, and when i bought it, it came with 2 or 3 palms bunched together. should i try and seperate the palms? and how and when should i do this? thanks.
Give the palms a good, thick layer of mulch. Be very liberal in its application. Then get some of that green, plastic mesh/fencing they sell at hardware stores and some plastic tomato stakes. Build a fence around the palms using the stakes to hold the mesh in place. Then fill the cage with dry leaves- really pack them in there, but you can leave the top fonds exposed. It is vital to protect the trunk, crown and roots.

Some go further and wrap bubble wrap around the cage or fashion a top for the cage. I never have but it will not hurt.

Conventional wisdom says to do this for at least the first two winters. I played it safe and did it for five, but now just mulch and cover the base with leaves. The palms are flourishing.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:14 PM

where do you live, and how much has your palm been growing a year? i dont want to leave mine out for a winter and not have it grow that fast afterwards.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:26 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Is a Chinese Fan Palm the same as a Windmill? I have one in a big pot on my front porch, but no longer have space to winter it inside. I live in Denver, so it typically gets down to 0 or -5 a couple times each winter. I have a musa basjoo that's done well, but never tried a palm.
They are different. I think the Windmill palm is more cold-hardy than the Chinese Fan. It has smaller fronds but is less shiny and dramatic. Both will need to be projected in weather below 20 degrees.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
They are different. I think the Windmill palm is more cold-hardy than the Chinese Fan. It has smaller fronds but is less shiny and dramatic. Both will need to be projected in weather below 20 degrees.
Thanks. I was thinking they weren't the same thing. I think the poor thing will have to die this winter. We have twin babies now and the nursery used to be the "plant nursery" in winter!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:15 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
where do you live, and how much has your palm been growing a year? i dont want to leave mine out for a winter and not have it grow that fast afterwards.
I live in Washington, DC which is Zone 7 like you- either a or b, I cannot recall.

I have not measured their growth rate. I planted them in June, 2001. They were from quart size pots and were about 10 inches tall. They are now closing in on 6 feet tall.

Keep them on the south side (major difference) and protect them for the first two winters. They'll be fine afterwards. I have seen 20 foot specimins covered with snow in the Italian alps and doing just fine.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:08 PM

do you keep them covered all winter? or just on cold days/nights? thanks.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:53 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,019,328 times
If in northern KY- keep them covered all winter- if near the TN border- cover when needed.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:49 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Thanks. I was thinking they weren't the same thing. I think the poor thing will have to die this winter. We have twin babies now and the nursery used to be the "plant nursery" in winter!
You could put it in the garage or basement. I'm wondering what would happen if you cut off most of its fronds and put it in a warm corner for the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden