Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:27 AM

8 posts, read 69,642 times

Advertisements

Moth, Do you have any pictures of your trachycarpus fortunei? I grow musa basjoo, sabal minor, livistona chinesis, Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and soon nannorrhops ritchiana. here in my zone 5a, however if anyone would like to see pictures, check out, Webshots - Photo Sharing, Free Wallpaper and Free Screensavers and type in Ottawa_hardy_tropicals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z5apalms View Post
Moth, Do you have any pictures of your trachycarpus fortunei? I grow musa basjoo, sabal minor, livistona chinesis, Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and soon nannorrhops ritchiana. here in my zone 5a, however if anyone would like to see pictures, check out, Webshots - Photo Sharing, Free Wallpaper and Free Screensavers and type in Ottawa_hardy_tropicals
I'm assuming you're in Ottawa, Canada? I tried some supposedly cold hardy bananas a couple yeas ago and when they arrived in the mail, they were tiny. They didn't even make it to Fall, so I don't know what the problem is. I have a red ornamental banana and some other type of banana and I dug up the stalks last Fall, so I'll put them back out this May. I might start them in pots indoors to get them going first.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 AM

8 posts, read 63,385 times
Quote:

Great pictures on webshots!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 AM

8 posts, read 63,385 times
Here is a pic of my musa late summer 07 in Massachusetts border 6b and 7a

Old 03-19-2008, 11:30 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Sadly, I am the last person on Earth without a digital camera. I can assure you that all three are doing quite well although the two on the south sides are doing better than one on the north side- it will be relocated in a few weeks.

I grew a ton of musa basjoo as well. The hardest thing is getting a sprout, but after that.

Good shots.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,655 times
I just recently read that if you pull the middle fronds out of palm, that is a sign that it is dieing. U have several small bushy palms. They look like even new growth are sick. But overall they do not look bad. But when I pulled on several of the inner fronds they pulled out extremely easily and the bottom of each leave did look whitish and also looked very muchy and wettish. But overall they do not look to bad. Can this problem be fixed can I pull out the palms and provide better drainage or does this not have anything to do with the problem.. The average person looking at these palms would notice a real problem Only because i look at them every day do I notice a difference so I am wondering if I can do anything to save them if they are not completely gone

Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 6,555 times
my windmill palm has developed brown brittle ends. this is mostlikely from several weeks of severe strong winds. new growth in the center is obvious. question is whether or not to trim the ends of the foilage? I just treated the root base with chelatin palm nutritional and the foilage as well.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 AM

78 posts, read 233,732 times
Charlotte, NC: I have 3 windmill palms around my pool. Two of them have grown to at least 5 feet, the other is growing, but not has fast. They were about 3 feet, 4 years ago when I planted them. I have done nothing to them, except cut off the dead leaves at the bottom. I purchased them here from a Lowes HW Store for $30 each. When we have ice or snow here (which is seldom, I go out and shake the ice/snow off of the leaves). I wish we could find 1 or 2 more to put around our pool. The stores haven't had them though.

As for the above post, personally I wouldn't do anything with the brown brittle ends. But an expert might tell you different, I've just left mine alone, except for the early spring prunning. Would probably depend on where you live also, as to what you would do. Good Luck

Old 06-10-2008, 02:01 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrahekw6d View Post
my windmill palm has developed brown brittle ends. this is mostlikely from several weeks of severe strong winds. new growth in the center is obvious. question is whether or not to trim the ends of the foilage? I just treated the root base with chelatin palm nutritional and the foilage as well.
As long as the majority of the fond is still green then it it is still feeding the palm. Just leave it be. Sounds like the palm is doing fine.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 6,497 times
Hello all,

I am new here and just purchased a windmill palm for Hubby for a birthday present (he always thought he'd grow up around palm trees ...not gonna happen here on Long Isalnd....although now it will!!)

I will faithfully wrap it this winter, how close to the house should I put it? The back of the house faces south, so I though by his office window would be the best spot.

Are bananas (musa's ?) hardy as well??

Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden