Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 06:08 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,457,555 times

Advertisements

It's just been too HOT for me to really want to do much cooking, but talk about a veggie spread -- man, after a trip to our local Farmer's Market, y-u-m! Fresh, ripe, red, summer tomatoes, sweet yellow corn, small eggplant, cantalope, watermelon, blueberries. . . I could eat my weight in fresh fruits and vegetables this time of year.

And pretty flowers for the table! Sunflowers, and zinnias, and Gerbera daisies.

I've stumbled upon some nice salad recipes -- slightly different mixes of things, and toppings like a parmesan-crusted chicken strip. The recipe was on the Progresso Italian bread crumbs canister. I also like cooled, pasta salads this time of year with summer tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet onion and assorted bell peppers for starters. Anything after that is a nice plus, too.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:19 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,216,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Ah geeeezzzeee---went fishing before dinner last night and caught a very nice Bluegill. It was enough for hubbie to cook up for me to get a taste--yummy! But...while fishing I got my feet tangled in some fishing line left by some other wonderful fisherman--slobs--and fell down a rocky hill on my knees and elbow! I had my hands full of fishing poles and a ice box---saved them both! I have cuts and scratches all over me---look like I've been hit by a truck! Feel like it too! I sure don't see why people feel it's ok to leave their trash where ever they go! There is a ton of fishing line, empty bottles you name it it's all around there. I think next time I'm taking a trash bag and doing some cleaning while I'm there!! It's just plain ignorant how some people think!! Ok, I'm done venting, still very sore but on with what's for dinner tonight.....Ham, baked sweet potatoes and a veggie I'm still not sure of yet.
I'm sorry to hear that happened. I hate finding others trash when we go fishing. I make my boys pick up any we find. Hope you feel better soon.

We had chicken and pasta this evening. Hope everyone has a good night.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,393,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Ah geeeezzzeee---went fishing before dinner last night and caught a very nice Bluegill. It was enough for hubbie to cook up for me to get a taste--yummy! But...while fishing I got my feet tangled in some fishing line left by some other wonderful fisherman--slobs--and fell down a rocky hill on my knees and elbow! I had my hands full of fishing poles and a ice box---saved them both! I have cuts and scratches all over me---look like I've been hit by a truck! Feel like it too! I sure don't see why people feel it's ok to leave their trash where ever they go! There is a ton of fishing line, empty bottles you name it it's all around there. I think next time I'm taking a trash bag and doing some cleaning while I'm there!! It's just plain ignorant how some people think!! Ok, I'm done venting, still very sore but on with what's for dinner tonight.....Ham, baked sweet potatoes and a veggie I'm still not sure of yet.
Ouch! Hope you're already feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Your German style pork sounds almost like Japanese Tonkatsu; which is pork cutlet dipped in flour then egg then panko (bread crumbs) and fried in oil. In Japan it is usually served with ground seseme seed paste and a sweet condiment and lots of fresh shredded cabbage on the side--no dressing. It is one of my favorite meals in Japan.
I guess not everybody thinks the things we eat over here seem to be delicious. Basically it's called Schnitzel, but I often have difficulties to explain what I cook.

You always have so different food and it sounds so great... I must visit the US one day, hopefully soon!

Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 AM

48,190 posts, read 22,033,450 times
I have liked what German food I have had! Saurbratten (sp?); some really good sausages; sweet and sour red cabbabe, home made soft noodles; weiner schnitzel with a lemon and capers garnish (veal cutlet that sounds like your pork cutlet mentioned above); German potato salad and hot slaw. I am not at all at ease cooking German tho.....not enough experience.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:32 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,911,311 times
Tonight was spinach and ricotta ravioli in a tomato sauce. It was a Healthy Choice meal but I added some extra veg, mushrooms, spinach, peas to it. It was pretty yummy and very quick and easy.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:46 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,393,083 times
Dh loved the spaghetti Bolognese from Monday and wants them again tonight So I don't have to be very inventive

Old 07-02-2008, 07:48 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,216,628 times
Not sure what I am making tonight, I will be hitting the cookbooks today. Hubby has an appointment tonight so it is red meat night. I think I might make a stew so we have leftovers for lunch for the next couple of days. Not sure. I also have pork in the freezer so I could do something with that. Decisions, decisions.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,336,358 times
Lemon chicken breasts with pasta and pesto! This is new for me as I've never used pesto before and have only cooked whole chickens with lemon. Should be interesting! Think I'lll try Lasey's idea with cooking the breasts cut up in strips and sauteed with the lemon and all the extra goodies mentioned! Still sore but will live! Bruises are just beautiful! Ha!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,868,832 times
Oh poor Cyn-hope healing is quick.

Was going to do pork tenderloin and zucchini tonight but DH suggested local Cheers-of course, I said okay!!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 AM

48,190 posts, read 22,033,450 times
Enjoy your night out! Pork Tenderloin can wait till tomorrow. I would like to get LOBSTER into my partner's head.....but maybe wait until its nice out and we can go to a sea side lobster shack and watch the boats and people and eat out doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink