Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 04:01 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,146,881 times

Advertisements

Can you imagine the Pot Luck dinner we could all create for this group? Heaven!!

Cyn, do you think I can find the Horseradish sauce for Salmon anywhere? I have been on just about all 700+ pages so far!! I did a search for planked salmon and it threw up one of my OWN posts!!!

Can you post that again for all of us who are plank-challenged?

Old 07-29-2008, 04:03 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,342,035 times
Oh how I enjoyed the artichokes,,,plus hubby cooked up the rest of the catfish we caught yesterday. Great lunch. Still planning the same dinner--chicken fried steak etc.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:14 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,623,324 times
I'm smoke'n meat loaf for the first time, first time I ever made meat loaf too. I don't care for meat loaf but thought I'd try it out on the smoker. I kinda just "threw it together", green pepper, onion, 80/20 beef, couple eggs, milk, ketchup, crackers, k.salt & pepper, and garlic.(I think thats everything)

We'll see what happens, I wouldn't know a good meat loaf if it hit me in the face, but my wife used to have it often.

Next thing I want to try is smoked bologna....and I don't like bologna, but the kids do.

Anyway, I'll try to let you know what not to do if you ever think of smoke'n meat loaf.

At least the beer is good.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:23 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,951,644 times
Oh.......smoked bologna, that would be great I think! We've smoked some good cheddar before (wrapped in foil).........that was tasty too

Old 07-29-2008, 04:37 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,255,938 times
Change in plans, dh had to work tonight so we will go to the steakhouse tomorrow. Leftover lasagna and eggplant parm tonight.
Everyone's dinners sound delicious, we should consider a get together brunch.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:41 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Can you imagine the Pot Luck dinner we could all create for this group? Heaven!!

Cyn, do you think I can find the Horseradish sauce for Salmon anywhere? I have been on just about all 700+ pages so far!! I did a search for planked salmon and it threw up one of my OWN posts!!!

Can you post that again for all of us who are plank-challenged?
No problem gemkeeper---but it's not a sauce, it's "fresh" horseradish" which is a root found in the produce section of your grocery store. Totally different!! My planked fish was Maui Maui but any fish can be used! Here is the original post.....

1 pound fresh horseradish root
1 orange skin grated
1 lemon skin grated
2 green onions chopped including the green
A small finger of fresh ginger grated

Mix all grated and chopped items together in large bowl.

1 cedar board (can buy at Harris Teeter). Need each cedar piece larger then the individual filets---each filet has it's own cedar piece. You can probably cut the cedar pieces to size if necessary. The cedar piece is like a little cooking plate.

cover cedar board with olive oil on the top
Place individual fish filets on each board.
place 1/4 mixture in bowl on top of each fish piece and board (like building a little dome on top).
Note: If you don't want it to be spicy from the horseradish cook right away--if you want spicy let it set for 15 minutes before cooking.
BBQ med. heat
If cedar does not smoke raise temperature
Cook for 20 minutes or until the horseradish carmalizes and looks like a merengue (browned).
Remove from plank and plate.

Sauce:
Squeeze orange juice and lemon
Put juice in a measuring cup
Add the same amount of Soy sauce to juice (50% juice and 50% soy sauce).
Spoon over fillets with horseradish on top!! Yum!!

It's odd but once the fresh horseradish camalizes it tastes a lot like coconut! It's an amazing flavor.

It sounds harder then it is. Believe me. It's a matter of grating the fresh horseradish, which is a root. You grate it like cheese.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,873,077 times
Okay how come I had a great dinner and still come here and drool!!!

I agree Gem a potluck-what fun.

Cyn that's great!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,727,649 times
Yeah, think of all the chocolate for desserts....at a potluck....

Old 07-29-2008, 05:54 PM

Smile Yum, fish with horseradish on a cedar plank.

Thanks so much, cynwldkat. The horseradish is going to be like caviar to my DH. His family has always had a horseradish patch in the garden, so we must have a couple, as well.

I have been keeping a Bookmark folder with all of my saved recipes from C-D, but am taking a cue from you and others who copy and paste to a document.

I never considered when my computer goes to that great electronic junk pile in the sky, it will take all of my bookmarks with it!!! Now, I will be able to transfer all my great recipes to a CD. Thanks for the tip!

(BTW, you can get 4 cedar planks from Williams-Sonoma for $14.95 if you don't have a grocery store that carries them. Got mine today!)

Old 07-29-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Okay how come I had a great dinner and still come here and drool!!!

I agree Gem a potluck-what fun.

Cyn that's great!!!
Lacey, that is exactly what I do!! And, I'm stuffed from dinner. I just don't want to miss any of the great dinner suggestions and this thread moves fast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Yeah, think of all the chocolate for desserts....at a potluck....
Hmmmm, Nomadicus, I guess there is more than one chocolate addict here! And, yeah, we would all probably bring at least one chocolatey goodie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.