Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 01:35 PM

5 posts, read 13,753 times

Advertisements

We retired here from Maryland three years ago and our home has been for sale for a year.I hate this place!
This is the rudest place on earth.They will kill you on these roads. I was involved in an accident with a tractor.The owner of the equipment told me to forget about the fact that my car wound up on the wrong siide of the road and was not drivable. Just go home old woman . I called the police much to his dismay.He was given a citation. When you are out and about town don't smile and say hello.They look at you like you should die. Southern hospitality? I think not. I share your pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 03:55 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Lightbulb it must be

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
This isn't a New Yorker specific problem. I live here in Ft. Myers, am not originally from NY, and actually lived somewhere else in FL prior to being here. This place is so very different that one should have to pass through Customs when entering. I would rather live in a neighborhood filled with New Yorkers who are educated, hard-working, and honest in all their dealings - both professionally and personally - than what I'm living around now. And I'm in a "GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD". Something is really very wrong in all of Lee County, and people who do not live here cannot say what that is. Heck, people who do live here cannot say what it is. It is absolutely mind-boggling. And as far as being crude, rude, and uncoeth, there has been no shortage of any of those things in the responses to the original poster. We all have an opinion, and I think we could all do better here.
The transients. It is not a "life is what you make it" platitude. It is survival of the unfittest. The nastier people win.

sunny

Old 04-28-2007, 05:40 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,127 times
We were in NYC last week for 5 days. Stayed at the Algonquin Hotel. Went to Grand Central Oyster Bar last thursday night. I had a wild selection of oysters, then an entree of monkfish combined with maine lobster. Man let me tell ya, woo hoo! The Wife had the soft shell crab.

Friday we went to the Empire State Building. Line poured out onto 5th ave and went around the block. We paid the extra vigorish to get up to the top faster and yes it was worth the time savings alone. Great great place but no way to NOT reflect on what used to be further downtown.......and how nothings been done about it.

Friday night we went to a 4+/5 star restauarant called "Anthos" right around the corner from Radio City Music Hall. It was terrific but Radio City hosted Loreena McKinnett who was great great in concert. Shot down to the Village afterwards and had a capuccino at Cafe Regio on McDougal St.

I have to stop now as it's all making me hungry and NOTHING in this forsaken part of the world ( SW Fla ) can even hope to compare. Yes yes nice beaches which I think we saw ONCE in the last 2 years. The rest of it.........

So YES we not only get homesick we get sick of this place here too. Thinking of buying a second place up yonder so we can hang there part of the year.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 AM

432 posts, read 1,879,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post

So YES we not only get homesick we get sick of this place here too. Thinking of buying a second place up yonder so we can hang there part of the year.
This is not a bad idea. Home is where the heart is.

My parents relocated to S florida from Pittsburgh after WWII. The thing they missed most was the cultural life - they had taken it for granted that you could hop on public transportation and go to theater and concerts, and a nice public library. At that time, there was nothing like that down in Miami. It has changed a great deal over the years and the cultural life is so much more vibrant now - but it is not the same feeling as a city where it is all together and doesn't sprawl so much.

My mom used to want to go back to Pittsburgh for the spring - to see the flowers and go to some cultural things - but after a few rainy dirty trips she decided that it wasn't really what she wanted. Then they had kids and life took on a pace of its own. They made it a point to expose us to classical music through concerts in Miami and lessons at the UM, and just figured it is what it is, we live here now.

They had friends who came from Pittsburgh to west palm, and same attitude. After a few years and starting a new life (and business) they had the same conclusions - missed what they left, but found what was good about where they were. These friends became polo fans, which we all thought was pretty funny as they were the last people we would have thought would have enjoyed this!

We have also had friends who took the second home, condo, or apartment north, not in Pittsburgh, but folks from NYC or Atlanta have done this, and it eases the transition. Also makes connecting with family back home much easier. So if this makes financial and personal sense to you, do it.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,038 times
Smile wow fort myers sounds tuff

OK SO ALL THIS TIME I'M CONTEMPLATING MOVING FROM RI AND YOU HAVE JUST SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME.. HAS IT GOTTON ANY BETTER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburgsarah View Post
i have be here in Fort Myers since Dec 2006 and want to talk about the crazy **** i have witnessed and expieranced and to ask my fellow northerners if they think that life here is beyond normal...Or am i a truley crazed New yorker???
The first week i moved here i was driving on Daniels parkway at 8 am in the morning.. stoppes at a red light.. boom a drunk driving lunatic did not stop and smacked into my jeep...my whole jeep was crunched although vehicles still driveable she then un attched her suv from my car and proceeded on to the next light where she again hit a minivan also with new york plates and her vehicle was then demolished .. oh yeah i drove after the ***** and witnessed in utter disbelief of what i just saw got out of my vehichle and the women screamed at me for destroying her car...children were hurt badly in the other vehicle and this women is screaming about her car.
2nd driving on my main road a month later also in this span of time at least 3xs a day there was a fatlity on the road ... i am behind some lady driving way way to fast... she hits head on a car filled with 3 kids ... a grandma and pregnant girl... i jump out of my car and never in my life have been in a fatlity situation even living in the city for all the years i did.. witnessed this horrible situation.. this is part of my every day life here and im assuming this reckless driving is considered normal to floridians.. and they say we are the worst drivers...
rude rude rude people... cutting in lines i dont care how old you are i had a older women smack me with her envelope at the post office to get out of her way in the line she cut tright in front of me at the teller windo w already. when i told her she was rude and was acting irrational she went on some crazy southern accent rant and i was asked to leave the post office can you ******* believe this becausei wouldnt let the elder cut me.. never in my life
whats up with the garbage even nyc is cleaner then this place!!! People here must not own garbage cans i can ownly imagine what the insid eof their homes look like
The school system... give me a break
School choice WHAT????
Bus drivers talkng on cell phones no seatbelts???WHAT????
Busses dropping off my child at the wrong stop 10 blocks down
I pick my 5yr old son at the same bus stop everyday well his busdriver must of forgot his stop ... drops him off 10 blocks away unnattended no one there i can see a lil blonde kid running down the streets crying and holy**** its my baby ...you just forgot outta knowwhere ...where his stop was nad IS IT NORMAL HERE TO DROP OFF A 5YR OLD UNATTENDED AT THE WRONG BUS STOP HERE because when i calle dthe school to complain which by the way is an hour away the schools sais to me "sometimes these things happen"
I now drive him to school.. also the bus would drop him off anytime around 430 to 630 always a diff time NOT KIDDING
Last week
I go to get my mail i see a jeep parked on my the side of my lawn which just so happend to be the identical of my jeep which was parked in my driveway.. i notice a man strddling my phone pole.. he gets up shows me some crumpled up embark phone comp pass and sais(i was talking on the phone as this happends) oh that explains why i cant tap into your line.. mam can u get off of your phone so i can tap your line to call my embark job to tell them my jeep broke down..SAY WHAT??? he has a cell phone on his leg and a laptop in his hand i said to him if you are from embark wheres your embark truck and why dont u just use your cell phone... he studders and i got scared ran into my house go to call my boyfriend and he jumps in his so called not working jeep and drives off
I call the phone company they say he some line hacker who trys to get personal info ... that this happends all the time and if you want to get your line checked we will come out an d service it for a hefty fee
When we moved into our house the first day .. abug women comes and asksif we want to spray for insects i tell her absolutley not and she sais well the tubes are already placed in your house so all we have to do is just pu tthe chemicals in.. I ask where do the chemicals go??? She sais through your walls.
Soooo let me get this straight you want me and my family to breathe in harmful chemicals in our house...
What????

ANd so on and so on
Is this normal here.. i would like to here more stories got any???

Old 04-30-2007, 01:24 PM

937 posts, read 2,890,091 times
Default All I can say is try it and if you don't like it move back home

We tried the Florida lifestyle as they call it down there. Had enough of all the nasty grumpy people there and moved back up to the Northeast.
There's nothing better than being surrounded by your friends and family and things you are familiar with. Nothing!

Florida is ok for vacation but that's about it. Too many transient people there. Nobody ever stays long enough to become friendly with.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:31 PM

Default This is Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburgsarah View Post
i have be here in Fort Myers since Dec 2006 and want to talk about the crazy **** i have witnessed and expieranced and to ask my fellow northerners if they think that life here is beyond normal...Or am i a truley crazed New yorker???
The first week i moved here i was driving on Daniels parkway at 8 am in the morning.. stoppes at a red light.. boom a drunk driving lunatic did not stop and smacked into my jeep...my whole jeep was crunched although vehicles still driveable she then un attched her suv from my car and proceeded on to the next light where she again hit a minivan also with new york plates and her vehicle was then demolished .. oh yeah i drove after the ***** and witnessed in utter disbelief of what i just saw got out of my vehichle and the women screamed at me for destroying her car...children were hurt badly in the other vehicle and this women is screaming about her car.
2nd driving on my main road a month later also in this span of time at least 3xs a day there was a fatlity on the road ... i am behind some lady driving way way to fast... she hits head on a car filled with 3 kids ... a grandma and pregnant girl... i jump out of my car and never in my life have been in a fatlity situation even living in the city for all the years i did.. witnessed this horrible situation.. this is part of my every day life here and im assuming this reckless driving is considered normal to floridians.. and they say we are the worst drivers...
rude rude rude people... cutting in lines i dont care how old you are i had a older women smack me with her envelope at the post office to get out of her way in the line she cut tright in front of me at the teller windo w already. when i told her she was rude and was acting irrational she went on some crazy southern accent rant and i was asked to leave the post office can you ******* believe this becausei wouldnt let the elder cut me.. never in my life
whats up with the garbage even nyc is cleaner then this place!!! People here must not own garbage cans i can ownly imagine what the insid eof their homes look like
The school system... give me a break
School choice WHAT????
Bus drivers talkng on cell phones no seatbelts???WHAT????
Busses dropping off my child at the wrong stop 10 blocks down
I pick my 5yr old son at the same bus stop everyday well his busdriver must of forgot his stop ... drops him off 10 blocks away unnattended no one there i can see a lil blonde kid running down the streets crying and holy**** its my baby ...you just forgot outta knowwhere ...where his stop was nad IS IT NORMAL HERE TO DROP OFF A 5YR OLD UNATTENDED AT THE WRONG BUS STOP HERE because when i calle dthe school to complain which by the way is an hour away the schools sais to me "sometimes these things happen"
I now drive him to school.. also the bus would drop him off anytime around 430 to 630 always a diff time NOT KIDDING
Last week
I go to get my mail i see a jeep parked on my the side of my lawn which just so happend to be the identical of my jeep which was parked in my driveway.. i notice a man strddling my phone pole.. he gets up shows me some crumpled up embark phone comp pass and sais(i was talking on the phone as this happends) oh that explains why i cant tap into your line.. mam can u get off of your phone so i can tap your line to call my embark job to tell them my jeep broke down..SAY WHAT??? he has a cell phone on his leg and a laptop in his hand i said to him if you are from embark wheres your embark truck and why dont u just use your cell phone... he studders and i got scared ran into my house go to call my boyfriend and he jumps in his so called not working jeep and drives off
I call the phone company they say he some line hacker who trys to get personal info ... that this happends all the time and if you want to get your line checked we will come out an d service it for a hefty fee
When we moved into our house the first day .. abug women comes and asksif we want to spray for insects i tell her absolutley not and she sais well the tubes are already placed in your house so all we have to do is just pu tthe chemicals in.. I ask where do the chemicals go??? She sais through your walls.
Soooo let me get this straight you want me and my family to breathe in harmful chemicals in our house...
What????

ANd so on and so on
Is this normal here.. i would like to here more stories got any???

I guess there are alot of low-lifes in Florida. Maybe tons of low-lifes. The mentality of the people in Florida is sort of like somebody walking around with their finger stuck up their butt's while scratching their heads with other finger.
Most, not all, of the people down there are rude especially the grumps from the Midwestern part of the country. Sorry but it's true. Gawd for bid if you say a curse word, they look at you as if you are the devil.
The relaxed state is not for me anymore. Try to get back up north as fast as you can. North and South just don't mix!

Old 04-30-2007, 01:59 PM

200 posts, read 878,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madameirene View Post
We retired here from Maryland three years ago and our home has been for sale for a year.I hate this place!
This is the rudest place on earth.They will kill you on these roads. I was involved in an accident with a tractor.The owner of the equipment told me to forget about the fact that my car wound up on the wrong siide of the road and was not drivable. Just go home old woman . I called the police much to his dismay.He was given a citation. When you are out and about town don't smile and say hello.They look at you like you should die. Southern hospitality? I think not. I share your pain.
It wasn't always like this. The problem is that everyone moved in here from somewhere else. They brought in this whole, "We are better than anyone" attitude. Now all of South Florida is full of people who only care about themselves. It's been like an alien invasion or something. All these nasty rude people came in and took over and either ran off the natives or made them as cruel and selfish as themselves.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:03 PM

Default I would never move back

It seems that the natives of Florida are the nasty ones. They get all bent out of shape because there is so much change going on down there. It's a free country and if people want to move to Florida they shouldn't feel like they are the bad ones. It's their choice if they want to live in an area that has so many people that dislike them. You will never feel at home the way the native Floridians treat you.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:14 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,587,836 times
Default Leaving ASAP

Believe me, I've tried to leave this g-dforsaken place three different times, could never get the money for my house that I spent for it, brand new homes were always cheaper to build........anyway, in the twenty some odd years here, everyone on my block, either moved or died. The people that moved in
stayed in there homes, you'd see them get in there cars, leave, return and back into there homes, no hello's, waves, nothing.

A couple of years ago, I knew that a man lived across the street, he'd come and go, do shopping, get the mail etc. One night the ambulance was there he died that night, to my surprise, the next day I saw a women pull the car out of the garage, I walked over to see if she was a relative, wow, it was his wife she never left the house in 15 yrs. never went to the stores, nothing
she hated Fl. and refused to do anything. By the end of that week, she was
gone, back to Illinois and left the house for sale. Many of my neighbors are the same way, don't want to even say hello. Pretty pathetic.

I have always hated Fl. the heats a killer, makes you cranky, irritable
and if you come here with a little money, everyone wants to get a piece of it
taxes, homeowners insurance, health insurance, pest control companies.

I will be heading North ASAP with G-ds help. Those that want to live here
can stay and enjoy, but when the next BIG hurricane comes across Fl.
I will be hundreds of miles away, laughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida