Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 11,137 times

Advertisements

lee county school system stinks with school choice and being bussed all over the county for a school, (you dont go to your neihberhood school thier ) thier school busses are dangerous. i live in charlottee county the next county north of lee it is much much better . not saying its perfect ive been here since 1976 most of my life . i wont b able to retire here since hurricane charley prices skyrocketed taxes r high etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 03:46 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,659,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I was there for Charley. I recall three looters (or whatever euphemism Palm Beach County calls them ) trying to get into my neighbors house. I called the HOA security (for which we paid dearly to live in an affluent gated safe community) The security cop didnt speak english so I had to call PBC police. They were very busy during that hurricane. And I dont recall anyone ""helping out"" either. We had to drive for miles to get water. Lines and arguing everywhere.

Sunny
Excuse me but Charley hit us here in the SW coast which is several hundred miles away from palm beach cnty on the east coast.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:56 PM

251 posts, read 886,394 times
I have read many of these posts talking about how Floridians are so rude....I find that funny because being a 3rd generation Florida Cracker (born and raised here) I have seen many changes, none for the good and yes lots and lots and lots of rude nasty people, increased crime, gangs, etc. The problem however is NOT with the actual Floridians but with all the transplants from up everywhere else but Florida and the influx of illegals who don't even know how to communicate! I am sorry to the many of you who will not like my posting but the rudness does not generally come from Floridians but from transplants from other places. There are actually very few real Floridians left here and as they get fewer and fewer so does southern hospitality.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:58 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,909,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
I have read many of these posts talking about how Floridians are so rude....I find that funny because being a 3rd generation Florida Cracker (born and raised here) I have seen many changes, none for the good and yes lots and lots and lots of rude nasty people, increased crime, gangs, etc. The problem however is NOT with the actual Floridians but with all the transplants from up everywhere else but Florida and the influx of illegals who don't even know how to communicate! I am sorry to the many of you who will not like my posting but the rudness does not generally come from Floridians but from transplants from other places. There are actually very few real Floridians left here and as they get fewer and fewer so does southern hospitality.
THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 PM

942 posts, read 1,393,841 times
Other than the most mentioned problems in Fla, the cost of living, HOI, Property Tax, etc. I see so many references to driving. It is a serious problem there, I have often wondered how the elderly have dealth with it, because I can't understand them wanting the stress of it, in the jungle of driving that is Fla. I wasn't in Tallahassee 1 hour in March, and a girl from Florida state Univ plowed into the rental car, I thought I should be ok driving in Tallahassee, its much smaller than the rest of the cities there. After that incident a truck load of junk auto parts, that was so way overloaded it looked like something you would see in a cartoon starting dropping fenders and pieces of junk engine parts all over the road, I left Tallahassee the same day I got there, and spent the rest of the time in the Tampa area, I actually felt safer there from bad drivers.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:07 PM

10 posts, read 44,334 times
Default southern hospitality

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!
Firemed, God bless you. I too have been mean mouthing Floridians. I was born on a farm in upstate N.Y. My grandpa was from arkansas and my grandmother from louisville. I grew up knowing what real southern hospitality was. I have met a lot of crackers since I,ve been here. In fact, my grandaughter and grandson are both crackers now. I didn,t mean to stereotype floridians being rude obnoxious aholes. In fact most, if not all of those kind of people are transplants here. Real Florida natives have been very hospitable. I apologize for cussing out all who are natives here. I feel so sorry for you all because I saw the influx of city people coming up in our beautiful countryside in NewYork and totally ruining it just as it is happening to you. Just as you crackers from down here there really are good northerners who were raised with northern hospitality also. I reckon we all are just venting out loud. I for one am a real person, not a phoney wanna be.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:15 PM

155 posts, read 473,984 times
I will tell you the problem with Ft. Myers. It is the fact that people stereotype it like CRAZY!! For instance, everyone thinks it is FULL of old people. In reality the median age is 32.4 yrs. Just for a comparison, Miami's median age is 37.7. So as you can see Ft. Myers isn't a very old city. In fact, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and Orlando all have an older median age. These facts are taken both from city-data as well as wikipedia so you can check them if you want. The point is everyone wants to put their input in about a city, but many people are wrong. A lot of people think Ft. Myers has high crime. In reality, Lee County has one of the lowest crime rates in the nation. People may have an opinion, but the facts speak for themselves. YOU may not like it, but don't blow everything out of proportion and make it seem like hell on earth. One thing I've learned about Ft. Myers is never trust anybody's opinion about it, I do the research myself!

Old 05-02-2007, 03:27 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,909,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beesee8 View Post
Firemed, God bless you. I too have been mean mouthing Floridians. I was born on a farm in upstate N.Y. My grandpa was from arkansas and my grandmother from louisville. I grew up knowing what real southern hospitality was. I have met a lot of crackers since I,ve been here. In fact, my grandaughter and grandson are both crackers now. I didn,t mean to stereotype floridians being rude obnoxious aholes. In fact most, if not all of those kind of people are transplants here. Real Florida natives have been very hospitable. I apologize for cussing out all who are natives here. I feel so sorry for you all because I saw the influx of city people coming up in our beautiful countryside in NewYork and totally ruining it just as it is happening to you. Just as you crackers from down here there really are good northerners who were raised with northern hospitality also. I reckon we all are just venting out loud. I for one am a real person, not a phoney wanna be.
Thanks beesee,

Old 05-02-2007, 04:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inftmyers View Post
I will tell you the problem with Ft. Myers. It is the fact that people stereotype it like CRAZY!! For instance, everyone thinks it is FULL of old people. In reality the median age is 32.4 yrs. Just for a comparison, Miami's median age is 37.7. So as you can see Ft. Myers isn't a very old city. In fact, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and Orlando all have an older median age. These facts are taken both from city-data as well as wikipedia so you can check them if you want. The point is everyone wants to put their input in about a city, but many people are wrong. A lot of people think Ft. Myers has high crime. In reality, Lee County has one of the lowest crime rates in the nation. People may have an opinion, but the facts speak for themselves. YOU may not like it, but don't blow everything out of proportion and make it seem like hell on earth. One thing I've learned about Ft. Myers is never trust anybody's opinion about it, I do the research myself!
Yeah, Lee County is a real day at the beach, pun intended.

http://www.sheriffleefl.org/News/ (broken link)

Oh, and I bet when they did that head count they didn't include the snowbirds.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 PM

155 posts, read 473,984 times
You are using the Sherrifs news releases as your info? For one, of course everything posted on their site is going to be a crime. Secondly, half the stuff on that list is exagerated so it makes the Sheriff Dept. seem like they are doing a good job. This happens everywhere if you weren't aware. And I would also take that list as a compliment because it shows that the Lee Sheriffs Dept. is cracking down. Try looking up another county's sheriff website and then say that Lee County is so bad (Especially up by Tampa because the sexual predators love it up there) I'm talking about actual STATISTICS by the way, not a website who's job is posting crimes!!!!
And you're right about the snowbirds but hey we can't help it that they love paradise!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida