Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:30 AM

96 posts, read 284,381 times

Advertisements

I lived in Florida for three years, never had a problem, but I missed New York plain and simple.
I guess everybody thinks the grass is always greener some where else only to find out there's nothing wrong with the color of your lawn.
I'm back in New York, shoveling snow, dealing with the cold, only now I'm not complaining about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 06:42 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default It depends where on LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohcorner View Post
My son goes to Geneseo College and is home for the holidays. I have to say, he is so upset he missed that snowstorm....NOT! lol....The year before we moved I got my husband a snowblower, I'm guessing my neighbor back on Long Island is getting plenty of use with it now!
With many of these storms, the rain/snow line cuts across LI. The weather people used to joke about this all the time. Where do you live? If you are south of the LIE, you will get rain. If you are north of the LIE, get out your shovels. It was true. I lived on the north shore. I used to listen to a Bridgeport, Ct. radio station. What Bridgeport was getting, that was about what I would get.

My daughter said her fiance in West Islip got snow but it then rained for about 5 hours. I guess most of it melted then.

Last edited by TANaples; 12-23-2008 at 06:50 AM..

Old 12-23-2008, 07:48 AM

436 posts, read 1,358,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
I agree. They obviously have something to gain by their over the top pro-Sunshine state posts. I wish I lived in their Florida. I'm not sure what else could be their motive for wanting people to move here , unless they really hate it too and just want others to ruin their lives. I'd rather try to help others than try to destroy them.

Now if I was retired or a millionaire it would be an entirely different experience living in Florida. I love the beaches, lakes, wildlife, fishing, swamps, marshes, parks, etc but it isn't worth the reduced wages and horrible working conditions imho.

The stores here won't accept sunshine dollars, so why am I being payed with them?

, What part of Florida are you in, lol? Last week (mid-DECEMBER) was even hotter than summer (JULY) in PA. Summers in PA are 75-85 and occasionally 95 for a day or 2. Here they are 95+ with pure humidity almost every single day for months and months straight. Maybe it's just here in Lakeland but these summers are HOT and HUMID!!!

I'm sure you were just joking though and it was a good one .
I have nothing to gain with positive posting. I am happy with my choice and just want to give my perspective about where I live. As far as the weather, I live 30 minutes north of Tampa. The hottest it has been here since October is the lower 80's with the mornings and evenings considerably cooler. Summers in Philly can be really hot in the mid to upper 90's with no coastal breeze to cool things off. So no I am not joking. But, I will give you a chuckle. My elderly parents are visiting for the holidays from south New Jersey and can't wait to go home because they find it too cold here! They thought they were coming into Miami type weather and it has not been warm enough for them. Go figure!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 14,157 times
hmm... if you don't like the place simply move to any other city you like.....

---------------------------
Glann Smith

Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glann.smith View Post
hmm... if you don't like the place simply move to any other city you like.....

---------------------------
Glann Smith

Not so easy in this day and age with the economy. If people are far into their careers, it's hard to just pick up and move without having a job already waiting for you.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
The answer to that question is probably not...I do not know, because that is a situation that could never be. What people do not understand is that the weather changes SO MUCH of everything else.

The car accidents because of ice, the potholes, the rusty cars, the hip breaking falls the elderly have every day, the high heat bills, the snowblowing, the constant rush to get seasonal things done, the lack of sunshine, the salt everywhere, the extra clothes you need, the difficulty doing any work outside for months, the ice damming on roofs, trying to push shopping carts in the snow, snow tires, the short growing season.......

I could go on and on, but perhaps there is a slim chance you get the point.

Many people as they get older have a hard time living with the cold. Many of those same people have worked hard and invested wisely, and could now afford to retire to a place where the weather is kinder to their bones, and Florida is that place.

They do not need a job, they do not need good schools, and they can and do find places that are a joy to live in, have low crime, good doctor care.....retirement havens. There are 50,000 homes in The Villages alone. Despite all the negative things you read here about Florida, let me tell you a little known secret......

There ARE people, thousands of them in fact, many retirees, who have moved to Florida, brought there nesteggs with them, and are living the good life and loving every minute of what they have left in Florida. I have met hundreds of them in just the local area I bought in central Florida. They DO exist.....honest! I plan on being one of them.......

When I start to get discouraged by the black hole of negativity here, I remind myself that the above IS true. I'm not saying that Florida is perfect, I know jobs are bad, the real estate has tanked, the schools are not the best, it gets hot in the summer, gators exist, etc,etc.... BUT, in spite of this SOME people can and HAVE found happiness in Florida. I know that sounds absurd to you, but believe it or not, it IS true.

I am not trying to change your minds...I know that the negativity runs deep here and that would be almost impossible.

The truth is that I can find solace in knowing that I do not have to. I can join the ranks of those happy retirees that ARE living the good life despite what you choose to believe.

And if one of you actually wants to do something about how much you hate it in Florida......I have a very nice house you can buy up here in NY in about two years.......

Frank D.....(currently living in 9 degrees with another snowstorm coming tomorrow.....)
----------
I lived in PA I know snow.

"The car accidents because of ice"

Yes ,car accidents because of snow but thats a joke compared to S.Florida. I see more accidents in a day than you have seen in any given winter in NY.

Imagine drivers losing control going through red lights.weaving in and out of traffic due to ice . Well thats NORMAL driving in S.Florida ANY DAY of the week.

The ice takes a toll on the house and car you dont see that in Florida .
I agree but as far as politicians-officials,police and every thing else the standards in NY are light years beyond Florida.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:56 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
----------
I lived in PA I know snow.

"The car accidents because of ice"

Yes ,car accidents because of snow but thats a joke compared to S.Florida. I see more accidents in a day than you have seen in any given winter in NY.

Imagine drivers losing control going through red lights.weaving in and out of traffic due to ice . Well thats NORMAL driving in S.Florida ANY DAY of the week.

The ice takes a toll on the house and car you dont see that in Florida .
I agree but as far as politicians-officials,police and every thing else the standards in NY are light years beyond Florida.
Luiso,
I do not doubt what you say. I guess just as NY state is a big place with vastly different areas, (I live in rural western NY, have acrage, NOTHING like NYC), Florida is also a big place with diverse areas.
I do not doubt you because I have never been in SOUTH Florida. I do Mod the WPB/Boca forum, and if the place is half as bad as everyone posts there, I do not want to visit there.

I bought 40 miles north of Orlando, and I can only go by my experience....my experiences have been good and not at all like I've read here. Where I bought, the hospitals seem good, the fire dept is close, well trained and professional, the EMS is one of the best in the state. I have not had any dealings with the law enforcement here, but from what I've seen, I see no cause of concern. I guess every area is different.

Frank D.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:59 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Luiso,
I do not doubt what you say. I guess just as NY state is a big place with vastly different areas, (I live in rural western NY, have acrage, NOTHING like NYC), Florida is also a big place with diverse areas.
I do not doubt you because I have never been in SOUTH Florida. I do Mod the WPB/Boca forum, and if the place is half as bad as everyone posts there, I do not want to visit there.
I think you illustrate the problem with forums such as this one. With many many people "researching" an area via the internet before visiting or moving, forums such as this can really damage an area's reputation and perception.

When I was looking to sublet my condo in downtown West Palm, I dealt with a young woman who was coming down from up North to do her residency in Palm Beach County. She contacted me about my place, which I had listed on Craigslist, and came to visit the area herself. She was concerned because she had read on the internet about how awful it was. Crime everywhere, etc. etc. She ended up subletting my place from me and has now lived in downtown West Palm for about 6 months, through the hottest summer months and now the pleasant winter. She loves it, and wants to live permanently in Florida now if she can find a job in her field. She loves the beauty of the place, and the lifestyle. She may even be moving FURTHER South, which of course is in contrast to the "Don't go south of PGA Blvd." people.

Malcontented and miserable people want everyone to be miserable like them. People who live in the ghetto want to think everyone else will have the same experiences as them. It's wrong, of course, but when researching from afar, you have no way of knowing any better.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:34 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
TriMT7,

Yes, good post! That IS the big problem with the forums....they are helpful, but some posts are so negative that as a whole, they do not paint an accurate view of an area.

I gotta believe that almost any area in Florida has some very desirable traits, and that no place is ALL bad.

All I'd like to see is balance.......truthful balance. Florida is not Hell and it is not Disneyland. Sometimes I think we scare people away and no one gains from inaccurate perceptions.

I'm sure there are awesome places in WPB, Boca, etc. I bet the truth is far different then all the negativity we read here. We just need balance. When reading a post, add a grain of salt, and try to see where the poster is coming from. When writing a post, try to understand the effect you may have on many readers.

Balance.

Frank D.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
TriMT7,

Yes, good post! That IS the big problem with the forums....they are helpful, but some posts are so negative that as a whole, they do not paint an accurate view of an area.

I gotta believe that almost any area in Florida has some very desirable traits, and that no place is ALL bad.

All I'd like to see is balance.......truthful balance. Florida is not Hell and it is not Disneyland. Sometimes I think we scare people away and no one gains from inaccurate perceptions.

I'm sure there are awesome places in WPB, Boca, etc. I bet the truth is far different then all the negativity we read here. We just need balance. When reading a post, add a grain of salt, and try to see where the poster is coming from. When writing a post, try to understand the effect you may have on many readers.

Balance.

Frank D.

With West Palm Beach in particular, it is true that the city is bordered by a tremendous amount of sheer wealth and opulence (Palm Beach Island), and then a really really bad ghetto (Northern WPB and Riviera Beach). The ghetto area is where the vast majority of crime in the city itself takes place, and no one in their right mind really lives there if they have other options!

It's not all rainbows and puppies, but the city has a lot of interesting history, great neighborhoods, and yes, middle class people. I get frustrated because it's like judging all of New York City by the Bronx or Harlem, or heck, extrapolate to a national level, and people should realize that the USA is a "violent, crime-ridden place".... but your experiences can vary vastly from area to area. It's the same on a micro level in any town or city, county or state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida