Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Folks, let's get back on topic......NY'ers feeling homesick...??

For the record, i'm a lifelong NY'er feeling homesick......FOR FLORIDA.

I just shoveled and snowblowed today, and we have a storm coming tonight. It is actually warm today.....28 degrees. That is whewn you get dumped on with snow. when it gets colder, it is too cold to snow.

i'm glad there are NY'ers who want to move back to NY...you can buy my house when I move down to Florida in two years.......

Frank d.
-----------

Lets say you didnt have snow/cold in NY and it was more or less same weather as Florida.

Now would you still want to leave?

Florida has one and only one thing going for it over NY and that is the weather .

NY in every which way is better than Florida.
I recall being in Whitestone NY with over a foot of snow still falling and in 10 minutes bus arrived to take me back to area that took another bus to get back to PA (my home state)

Here in 80 degrees sunny you might wait days lol for a bus sitting by the bus stop.

I drive dont take the bus here but point is Florida is just so badly run compared to NY.
I imagine some of the worse Reps/Dems in NY are still fantastic compared to Florida "standards".
Ny is expensive but Florida is catching up real fast w/o the efficiency of NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 03:41 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkpat View Post
i lasted almost two years and im leaving.i never seen such odd balls in my life. everything about cape coral is a joke.id be better off sleeping in a cardboard box under the 59 st bridge all i see is twisted crackheads and officals that cant make anywhere else
---------------
"officals that cant make anywhere else"

REGARDLESS of political party . As a whole the worse do nothing "I dont actually care but do like giving empty speeches" politicians,city officials are found in Florida with Miami the head of the snake.

Retired communities here from NY who HAD such high standards in NY and came from such areas like nicely run long Island,etc now lower their standards to ZERO and put up with officials that they wouldnt reelect as dog catcher in NY.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:50 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default Preaching to the choir with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
---------------
"officals that cant make anywhere else"

REGARDLESS of political party . As a whole the worse do nothing "I dont actually care but do like giving empty speeches" politicians,city officials are found in Florida with Miami the head of the snake.

Retired communities here from NY who HAD such high standards in NY and came from such areas like nicely run long Island,etc now lower their standards to ZERO and put up with officials that they wouldnt reelect as dog catcher in NY.
The miserable damned 80 degree sunshine is the not only thing that drives me crazy here. I haven't posted about the politics, but that is also a major factor why I don't like this state.

I simply cannot understand WHY a family would take their children out of the NYS school system to raise their kids in Florida. So their kids can grow up in the sunshine and go to the beach? Are they out of their ever loving minds? Yes, I have met several families who took their kids out of LI to move here. It takes all my will power to keep my mouth shut around them. I try my best to not associate with "former" New Yorkers for this reason.

It's pointless. This is your brain. This is your brain in the Florida sun.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
This is your brain. This is your brain in the Florida sun.
That is it! The sun fries people's brains!

When people whine about the snow on this forum they are mostly talking to former Yankees. We know all about the snow. Did you think we forgot?

I lived in New England for 34 years. I lived in Florida for 10. I'd take the northeast any day.

By the way, our daughter attended Kindergarten for five weeks. That was enough for us. We packed up our stuff and got the heck out. That fast.

Nine times out of ten, the people on this forum that defend Florida either don't actually live there and have no idea what they are talking about, are trying to sell their house or otherwise make a buck.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:25 PM

727 posts, read 1,837,774 times
"Nine times out of ten, the people on this forum that defend Florida either don't actually live there and have no idea what they are talking about, are trying to sell their house or otherwise make a buck."

Hey hiknapster, I just get fed up of FL turning into NY and losing it's Old FL ways... I will always love FL as I was born here, but it has changed. (I see it everyday).

I guess I am onw of the ten that ahs to defend it a little because of what it once WAS. But I dog most of S FL and Orlando, I think they stink. N FL is still nice though, but I just came to the point where I have pretty much given up. I'll probably head back to Asheville, or Greenville SC or N GA --->>> The new FL.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:25 AM

208 posts, read 605,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
And it was all great when it was just a redneck state ? Yankees are what brought money to this state and at least made it livable.
Ironically some of most "redneck" people I met in Florida were originally from the northern states. Of course some the native Floridians are quite redneck too, but like I said, I never knew there were northern/transplanted rednecks until I moved to Florida. (And after travelling around the country outside of the South, I found that statement true too.)

While I agree Florida has alot to thank for the tourists and retirement industry, some of the younger people I knew that moved to Florida from other states did not benefit the state at all. Given the transient nature of Florida, the scummiest people often move there. Maybe that is what the OP is referring to.

But I met some very good people when I lived in Florida. It's not all bad. Just wanted to add that.

Last edited by blueeyes30; 12-20-2008 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by DailyJournalist
"And it was all great when it was just a redneck state ? Yankees are what brought money to this state and at least made it livable."

LOL. A/C is what made it livable.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:35 AM

"Given the transient nature of Florida, the scummiest people often move there."

BINGO! And how unfair and disappointing for the natives who have stayed and the good residents from other states that have to put up with the rude people that move here, the criminals, the sex offenders, etc...

Old 12-20-2008, 06:56 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
I posted on another thread about the Haitians I used to work with in NY. ALL of them came to this country, actually FLORIDA, as young adults when their parents moved to this country. As young adults, they left Florida. ALL of their parents were still living in Florida (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale). They grew up, and were educated in Haiti. They had spent several years in Florida. Why did they leave the Florida sunshine, just like their native country, to an alien, cold, snowy New York? FOR A BETTER LIFE than they could get in Florida. They wanted better job opportunities. They wanted a higher standard of living. They wanted their children to get a better education. Many of them were enrolled in college at night, courtesy of the agency they worked at. All this more than trumped Florida sunshine. WEATHER cannot make up for any of this.

Who stayed in Florida? Their parents. The OLD FOLKS.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:44 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Sometimes reading the posts on this forum is like watching a rather depressing county-run self-help group taking place in a school gym.

Only there, unlike here, after about five meetings with nothing new to say, the people usually stop coming.

Do they give out free donuts to certain members around here or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida