Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:08 PM

23 posts, read 84,587 times

Advertisements

I am leaving... thankfully.... i am just asking other Northerners who have moved to fl if they have expieranced crazy situations ...So relax...i am not trying to bash your state i am just trying to see if this is a surge of bad luck on my part,wait actually i know its not... because on the news everynight this is the **** they discuss. oh and MR JIM KING why are you complaining about turn signals correct me if i am wrong but that was my first dispute of the roads when i moved here... they told me at work that in the state of florida there is no law for using turn signals.

I would love to hear your comments on new york!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 03:18 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,003 times
Yea, me too.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:24 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,723 times
About LI New York there are a lot of instances of buses dropping children off here also, in the start of the school year this year a little 5 year old was dropped off without a parent to pick him up, the child was then run over by the bus because the bus driver did not see him he died at the scene, the lady across the street from me on many occasions has not been home when the bus comes, the youngest is in second grade the bus driver will not let the child off the bus one day and the mother said oh it is okay to let him off. There was an incident last year where a bus driver left a bunch of elementary school children off the bus because it was icy and they had to walk home in the ice and snow some being in first grade. My own experience waas when my child who is handicapped and nonverbal at the time was almost let off across town. People drive like nuts here too, cell phones to ear the whole thing. So, I think LI is crazy too can,t wait to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 03:29 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,443 times
I'm right there with you bitburgsarah....Since moving here from Upstate NY I've had nothing but Bad Luck. I'm also on my way out too. Like you said this place surely isn't for everyone. I knew this the first week here. Hated it ever since. I will be relieved to be around normal decent honest social people once again.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:35 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,013 times
Maybe these people you are complaining about are from the north, maybe NY!!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 03:37 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,238 times
When folks say "I can't wait to get out of Florida" in responses, I wish they would mention the town(s). While some may, indeed, be disfunctional, not every town in Florida is. This will only scare folks into thinking Florida's a pit on the whole, which it isn't.

There are many nicely run towns in Florida, and it's a big state.
Sure there are lemon towns that are messed up (such as the experiences posted), as in every state. I've lived in "utopia" Florida towns, and one I wouldn't even go back to on free vacations despite having lived on the beach. Different towns do have different "personalities". And that's no matter where you are.
To Bitburgsarah,
I hear you. Quite a few towns allow and accept the substandard, while, in other towns, it would not be tolerated and so epidemic. :>)

I lived in Clearwater and everything seemed disfunctional there, compared to other towns which were all -around wonderful (IMO). It just wasn't my cup of tea because nobody really seemed to care or remotely think about anything before doing it. Gave "laid back" new meaning. Seemed more on the "careless" side all around. It was the collective attitude which prided on the "laid back and just party" motto. Awesome if you're looking for that atmosphere -- not good when you have to deal with businesses and services, tho.
Moved there for somebody, so it was worth it. Wouldn't have otherwise (left once friend was out of the weeds.)

The entire state is not the same as one cruppy town may be. You can go one town over and it's like night and day! Many towns, unfortunately, have slack people running and populating them. But many don't.

Last edited by Travel'r; 03-15-2007 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: add

Old 03-15-2007, 03:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Southwest Florida has to be "experienced" to comment on.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:48 PM

23 posts, read 84,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
About LI New York there are a lot of instances of buses dropping children off here also, in the start of the school year this year a little 5 year old was dropped off without a parent to pick him up, the child was then run over by the bus because the bus driver did not see him he died at the scene, the lady across the street from me on many occasions has not been home when the bus comes, the youngest is in second grade the bus driver will not let the child off the bus one day and the mother said oh it is okay to let him off. There was an incident last year where a bus driver left a bunch of elementary school children off the bus because it was icy and they had to walk home in the ice and snow some being in first grade. My own experience waas when my child who is handicapped and nonverbal at the time was almost let off across town. People drive like nuts here too, cell phones to ear the whole thing. So, I think LI is crazy too can,t wait to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well in all honesty i personally dont like long island either but if were talking statisics and if you are talking about the NYC area You do realise that its in the top 10 list of the most populATED citys in the world and fort myers Fl is not way way way not. listen and i feel you that you have a handicapp child... i know what its like. my brother was hit on his motorcycle on mcgregor blvd in fortmyers fl yes by a drunk driver and is now speech impaired and brain damaged this also happend in the morning rush hour. as did my accident...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Southwest Florida has to be "experienced" to comment on.
Seriously.. by the way i love love tennessee if i could i move to the smokies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
Maybe these people you are complaining about are from the north, maybe NY!!!!
dude you live in tampa!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 04:32 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,146 times
Wow sorry to hear. Ive experienced some bad things too. It could happen elsewhere to be honest. Ill be moving to a small city or town where not much "happens"

Old 03-15-2007, 04:34 PM

30 posts, read 238,431 times
I hope the transplants leave all they do is whine about everything(well not all of them). I am tired of living in the North. These people are rude !!!! you say Hi and they look at you like they wnat to rip your head off. Winter bites the big one, Coped up in a house for at least 6 months is not any fun. I can't wait to get back to Good Ol Florida. Fishing,Surfing, Scuba Diving, Beaches, Camping and Boating year round. Island Parties, beach parties and tons of money to be made if one wants to. Fresh Seafood, Citrus and Vegies year round. Crystal clear Rivers, Sea breezes, and a down South Kicked back life Stlye. I just cant figure out why I left. OH Yeah. My wife's family talked us into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida