Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 AM

464 posts, read 1,744,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSarah View Post
Florida is horrible.
If you are under the age of 65 and not retired don't even bother living here. Everything is very expensive, jobs don't want to pay you what they should and the renting/ housing cost are so high.
Everyone I know is living pay check to pay check and doing everything they can to get out!
It must only be in certain parts of Florida that everything is expensive including housing, because I researched The Panhandle around Pensacola area , and you can get a decent 3 bedroom brick home , 10 years old, on a half acre for $105,000 asking price (and most likely $96,000 contract price)...or.... a 3 bedroom decent Mobile Home on a half acre in the country a bit for $78,000 asking price (and most likely $70,000 contract price) . Property taxes : $1,000 and $500 respectively with Homestead Exemption. Gasoline is $.30/gallon cheaper than where i live. Coming from northern Illinois, I consider these prices 'Silly' cheap and my money is going to go pretty far living in the Panhandle around Crestview, Fl. I guess living in Orlando/Sarasota/Miami areas are considerably more expensive...and quite a bit hotter and humid also (???) Right now, im pretty excited about semi-retiring in the Panhandle and hope my enthusiasm is still the same after a week long stay there coming up in October as i visit my Sister and thoroughly check out the area.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:41 AM

360 posts, read 1,912,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
It must only be in certain parts of Florida that everything is expensive including housing, because I researched The Panhandle around Pensacola area , and you can get a decent 3 bedroom brick home , 10 years old, on a half acre for $105,000 asking price (and most likely $96,000 contract price)...or.... a 3 bedroom decent Mobile Home on a half acre in the country a bit for $78,000 asking price (and most likely $70,000 contract price) . Property taxes : $1,000 and $500 respectively with Homestead Exemption. Gasoline is $.30/gallon cheaper than where i live. Coming from northern Illinois, I consider these prices 'Silly' cheap and my money is going to go pretty far living in the Panhandle around Crestview, Fl. I guess living in Orlando/Sarasota/Miami areas are considerably more expensive...and quite a bit hotter and humid also (???) Right now, im pretty excited about semi-retiring in the Panhandle and hope my enthusiasm is still the same after a week long stay there coming up in October as i visit my Sister and thoroughly check out the area.
I see deals down there that are unheard of up here in Ohio. For a single person I never see a nice 2 bedroom apt. fully furnished including all utilities plus cable, for 500.00 and 600.00 a month up here. And you don't even have the beach here to go with it or nicer weather year round. And like you said, if you search around there are deals to be had on nice homes down there as well.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:05 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,978,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Okay, where is it, East Flatbush?

More like Bayside, Queens village, Kew Gardens hills.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 PM

13 posts, read 28,400 times
Like anywhere else, there are things you will like and things you won't like. A lot of people who bash Florida are losers who came here with nothing and expected nothing but fun and sunshine with very little work.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:40 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,791,288 times
Important quote from your post Fringed... "I already loved Florida from visiting there". Yes, but there is a HUGE difference from vacation time to reality time here. Living here and visiting here are 2 whole different worlds. I have been here for 14 almost 15 years, I am a seasoned "living in Florida veteran". I know the differences. I loved it here too for the first couple years, then it gradually came to where I am right now, and that I'm returning home in under 3 weeks. Live here for a few years, THEN come on and say we are crabby because we live here and are miserable, and we have everything we want and take it for granted. You may love it here, then after experiencing the good and bad, then, you can smack us around a little for complaining about Florida. Peace dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
I never once thought I was judging others, just stating the type of person I am and how much I already loved Florida from visiting there. And for ME, I believe it would be perfect for ME. Kind of hypocritical you think I'm so quick to judge, when others are so quick to, if someone even mentions that Florida may be perfect for them. Gawd help someone who'd rather vouch about the good things in Florida instead of bich about the bad of it. And REREAD my post, I said it's great to live in a place where one can always MOVE IF THEY HAD THE MEANS TO!! Like I do. As far as using this as some hookup thing, you must be reading into things too much, as I think there's nothing at all wrong with making new friends on here, especially ones in my situation who are going to be relocating themselves down there soon. If sometimes I do get off topic for 2 seconds about something and just start chatting about me or answering people, it's never long before I get back on topic again. You wanna talk about being so quick to judge?

Old 09-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Where in Florida do you see a 500 or 600 dollar 2 bedroom including utilities??? Let everyone know and the state will fill up. It must be in a really BAD part of town or section 8..... NOWHERE in Florida is it that cheap.... Especially in any area near a beach...

Quote:
I see deals down there that are unheard of up here in Ohio. For a single person I never see a nice 2 bedroom apt. fully furnished including all utilities plus cable, for 500.00 and 600.00 a month up here. And you don't even have the beach here to go with it or nicer weather year round. And like you said, if you search around there are deals to be had on nice homes down there as well.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:47 PM

Great attitude. I was making $50K a year until the crash in 2006, then everything here crapped out. We who are not happy here are not losers. Disrespectful post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randb6757 View Post
Like anywhere else, there are things you will like and things you won't like. A lot of people who bash Florida are losers who came here with nothing and expected nothing but fun and sunshine with very little work.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
Important quote from your post Fringed... "I already loved Florida from visiting there". Yes, but there is a HUGE difference from vacation time to reality time here. Living here and visiting here are 2 whole different worlds. I have been here for 14 almost 15 years, I am a seasoned "living in Florida veteran". I know the differences. I loved it here too for the first couple years, then it gradually came to where I am right now, and that I'm returning home in under 3 weeks. Live here for a few years, THEN come on and say we are crabby because we live here and are miserable, and we have everything we want and take it for granted. You may love it here, then after experiencing the good and bad, then, you can smack us around a little for complaining about Florida. Peace dude!
What part of my posts are you not reading? I LOVE WARM WEATHER! so if you think hot muggy heat is a factor in driving one away, that is exactly why I am moving there. If you are leaving soon, good for you! That's the beauty in our country as we can just move if we have the means, to a better place. No matter how much some bash Florida, there will always be others living there. Yes I have visited at times and loved it and the sun and heat did not bother me. It was actually drop dead hotter as soon as I got back in to Ohio, than it ever was in Florida. And my aunt lived in Tampa for over 30 years so I know about Florida weather. She only moved back up here recently as she was getting older and wanted to be near the family. There are people in life who will not be happy no matter where they settle in life. There are also ones who diss Florida and move out, only to find Florida wasn't so bad really in the first place. Maybe the State isn't for you, but for a lot of ailing people with circulatory and arthritic problems, the warmer climate is ideal for them as cold weather is agonizing for some. Probably why so many elderly flock to Florida. My own Mother is relocating along with me for that very reason. She is 54 and each fall and winter up here gets more painful (literally) each passing year. I will still be an active member on this board when I do move to Florida so I'll still share my experiences being a resident when I do move. And if I become a Florida cheerleader like some, do not end up hating me for it for loving a place when you may not A little secret, the economy is in shambles all over, it's not just a Florida issue. But we still have to live our lives and press on in life and make things the best we can (for us). We do what feels right for us, that includes you as well.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:18 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,915,436 times
Quote:
A little secret, the economy is in shambles all over, it's not just a Florida issue.
It's amazing how many people say that line without fully knowing the Florida economic situation. I'll just say this...

I hope you've lined up a job before you leave or you'll be on the fast track to flippin burgers for $6.50/hr, If that position is availible.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
It's amazing how many people say that line without fully knowing the Florida economic situation. I'll just say this...

I hope you've lined up a job before you leave or you'll be on the fast track to flippin burgers for $6.50/hr, If that position is availible.
I already mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, it's already in place. Yes that is a very smart thing to do before one moves anywhere, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida