Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:52 PM

8 posts, read 36,384 times

Advertisements

Each person is looking for something different in the place that they live, some people love heat and some love cold. I am a native Floridian and I will be honest up front and say that I am hoping to move out of Florida within the next 6 months. That said I will list the reasons.

1. The weather. Florida is hot for nine-ten months of the year (sometimes more depending on the year). It is not the heat that makes it unbearable it is the humidity. To anyone that is considering moving here, the honest truth is that it is beyond hot, some days it seems impossible to escape the heat and the cost of electricity is rising. During the months of July and August it rains in the afternoon, sometimes these storms appear from nowhere and flood streets in minutes. Every city has tried to address the issue but when the rain comes down so fast and so hard it is almost impossible not to have flooding. Some areas in the city are impassable for hours (St. Petersburg area). The rain is cooling while it happens but when it is over it makes the heat worse and there is a serious problem with bugs (mosquitos, ticks, cockroaches) because of this weather pattern.

2. The people. It is very hard to meet people. Being a native Floridian is a rarity in this state, but I have no problem with that. I believe that people should live where they want regardless of where they were born. But because everyone comes from somewhere else there is a loss of a sense of community. I lived in the same house for 25 years and that was rare, the neighbors on all four sides changed many times in those years and my family and I were quick to try and meet them and welcome them. More often then not, we were rebuffed. Since then I have moved to other neighborhoods and it has been the same way. People move in and out and they keep to themselves. Also for women, there is a shortage of men in Florida, the population of women outnumber the men. I have lived here my entire life and so I have been used to this, but female friends who have moved here from other states have been stunned. Attractive women of all ages have had difficult if not impossible times of trying to meet men. Of four close female friends, two are unmarried and one met her husband out of state.

3. The economy. I am an older college student in my thirties and I have had to work fulltime my entire college career to support myself. Jobs are becoming more and more difficult to find and it is becoming quite normal for companies to hire temp workers rather then pay benefirts. This may be true in other states as well but it is a huge factor in the Tampa\St. Petersburg job market. Florida you should know is a state that relies on the money from tourists to support its economy and it is a service oriented job market. These jobs typically start at 7-8 dollars an hour, after taxes an $8 hour job would mean that you brought home $1000.00 a month for a single person with no dependants. A one bedroom apartment starts at $700.00 (I know this for a fact, it took me six months to find one for $650.00 and it is in a neighborhood in which I am nervous to leave the house after dark). Gas today is running 3.55-3.65 a gallon for regular and you do need a car to get from point A to B. There is a bus system but the routes have been cut time and time again to make up for shortfalls in local city budgets. A one month bus pass costs $45.00 for reduced rate student fare ($85.00 for regular). Did I mention that most one bedroom apartments do not have washer and dryer? To do one load of laundry wash and dry costs almost $5.00. Laundry detergent which I buy at a discount store costs $8. I go through one a month. Groceries are very expensive, for one single person for seven dinners and seven lunches with no prepared foods, soft drinks or alcohol I still spend $70.00 a week. I know this may seem like to much information to some people but to others who are thinking of moving here I want them to know what they are in for. And I am sure that some areas are more expensive. But there is almost no way out of this situation. I am trying to go to college and get a degree, but I am told by more and more people that a degree does not get you the job it once did. I have seen ads in the local papers that are requiring a 4 year degree from their applicants and are only paying $10.00 an hour. That is not a livable wage. Yes you have heard about the cost of home owners insurance and taxes and they are expensive, I sold my house because I could not continue to pay them. My mortgage was less then $400 a month but with taxes and insurance it was over $900 and I did not live in a flood zone and had NEVER made a claim. Most insurance companies have pulled out of Florida and when buying a new house it takes time to find one that will accept you even on new construction. The cost of a house has gone up over 50 percent in the last three years and even with them starting to come down they are still too high. Most people who bought homes in Florida in the past three years owe more then their houses are worth.

I know this is a lot to take in, I would love it if there could be some changes to Florida, I will miss my family when I move. But for any chance of a future for me or my children I have to try.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,476,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by College_student10 View Post
People move in and out and they keep to themselves. Also for women, there is a shortage of men in Florida, the population of women outnumber the men. I have lived here my entire life and so I have been used to this, but female friends who have moved here from other states have been stunned. Attractive women of all ages have had difficult if not impossible times of trying to meet men. Of four close female friends, two are unmarried and one met her husband out of state.
Let me ask,are they very materialistic? In my experiences living in FL,unless you had $$ or were on top of the social scene it seemed the women weren't that interested either. Which brings us back to the transient thing...

Old 09-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Default Reply

No, and I am not just saying that. The running joke is that if a man had his own teeth, a job making at least 400.00 a month then he was in the running. None of the women I know are looking for a man to take care of them, they want a man for friendship, love, family and yes it would be nice to have someone to share the bills..but share, not pay for everything. There are women like that, but there are men who also want the television ideal of a "Florida woman" -blonde and surgically enhanced, Not all but some.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
There are women like that, but there are men who also want the television ideal of a "Florida woman" -blonde and surgically enhanced, Not all but some.
When I was down there that seemed to be pretty much all I saw anyway,
I used to call it Hollywood east

Old 09-03-2008, 04:43 PM

464 posts, read 1,742,284 times
Quote:
Each person is looking for something different in the place that they live, some people love heat and some love cold. I am a native Floridian and I will be honest up front and say that I am hoping to move out of Florida within the next 6 months. That said I will list the reasons.

1. The weather. Florida is hot for nine-ten months of the year (sometimes more depending on the year). It is not the heat that makes it unbearable it is the humidity. To anyone that is considering moving here, the honest truth is that it is beyond hot, some days it seems impossible to escape the heat and the cost of electricity is rising. During the months of July and August it rains in the afternoon, sometimes these storms appear from nowhere and flood streets in minutes. Every city has tried to address the issue but when the rain comes down so fast and so hard it is almost impossible not to have flooding. Some areas in the city are impassable for hours (St. Petersburg area). The rain is cooling while it happens but when it is over it makes the heat worse and there is a serious problem with bugs (mosquitos, ticks, cockroaches) because of this weather pattern.

2. The people. It is very hard to meet people. Being a native Floridian is a rarity in this state, but I have no problem with that. I believe that people should live where they want regardless of where they were born. But because everyone comes from somewhere else there is a loss of a sense of community. I lived in the same house for 25 years and that was rare, the neighbors on all four sides changed many times in those years and my family and I were quick to try and meet them and welcome them. More often then not, we were rebuffed. Since then I have moved to other neighborhoods and it has been the same way. People move in and out and they keep to themselves. Also for women, there is a shortage of men in Florida, the population of women outnumber the men. I have lived here my entire life and so I have been used to this, but female friends who have moved here from other states have been stunned. Attractive women of all ages have had difficult if not impossible times of trying to meet men. Of four close female friends, two are unmarried and one met her husband out of state.

3. The economy. I am an older college student in my thirties and I have had to work fulltime my entire college career to support myself. Jobs are becoming more and more difficult to find and it is becoming quite normal for companies to hire temp workers rather then pay benefirts. This may be true in other states as well but it is a huge factor in the Tampa\St. Petersburg job market. Florida you should know is a state that relies on the money from tourists to support its economy and it is a service oriented job market. These jobs typically start at 7-8 dollars an hour, after taxes an $8 hour job would mean that you brought home $1000.00 a month for a single person with no dependants. A one bedroom apartment starts at $700.00 (I know this for a fact, it took me six months to find one for $650.00 and it is in a neighborhood in which I am nervous to leave the house after dark). Gas today is running 3.55-3.65 a gallon for regular and you do need a car to get from point A to B. There is a bus system but the routes have been cut time and time again to make up for shortfalls in local city budgets. A one month bus pass costs $45.00 for reduced rate student fare ($85.00 for regular). Did I mention that most one bedroom apartments do not have washer and dryer? To do one load of laundry wash and dry costs almost $5.00. Laundry detergent which I buy at a discount store costs $8. I go through one a month. Groceries are very expensive, for one single person for seven dinners and seven lunches with no prepared foods, soft drinks or alcohol I still spend $70.00 a week. I know this may seem like to much information to some people but to others who are thinking of moving here I want them to know what they are in for. And I am sure that some areas are more expensive. But there is almost no way out of this situation. I am trying to go to college and get a degree, but I am told by more and more people that a degree does not get you the job it once did. I have seen ads in the local papers that are requiring a 4 year degree from their applicants and are only paying $10.00 an hour. That is not a livable wage. Yes you have heard about the cost of home owners insurance and taxes and they are expensive, I sold my house because I could not continue to pay them. My mortgage was less then $400 a month but with taxes and insurance it was over $900 and I did not live in a flood zone and had NEVER made a claim. Most insurance companies have pulled out of Florida and when buying a new house it takes time to find one that will accept you even on new construction. The cost of a house has gone up over 50 percent in the last three years and even with them starting to come down they are still too high. Most people who bought homes in Florida in the past three years owe more then their houses are worth.

I know this is a lot to take in, I would love it if there could be some changes to Florida, I will miss my family when I move. But for any chance of a future for me or my children I have to try.
REPLY: Thanks for your insight , and, I hope you find a nicer place to live. Im moving to Crestview, Fl (Panhandle) soon and Im 54 and semi-retiring. Im finanically comfortable and will do some side-work (im an air-conditioning Tech) just to keep myself occupied ; I wont need to work because im paying cash for a modest $100,000 small home and will be able to live off of my savings .. and when i turn 62 Ill start drawing social security in addition. Im someone who enjoys nature/classic car shows/beaches/sightseeing/travelling/want to make new friends/and church. Im moving from frigid northern Illinois near a very large bustling city (Chicago) . Based on my situtation , what do you think is the liklihood that i will find living in Florida a good experience ?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Let me ask,are they very materialistic? In my experiences living in FL,unless you had $$ or were on top of the social scene it seemed the women weren't that interested either. Which brings us back to the transient thing...
Yes, The women in Florida are VERY materialistic and if you don't look like you should be on the cover of GQ, You're not given a 2nd look. Atleast those were my experiences in Tampa, St. Pete, Orlando and Ft. Myers.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 AM

HowDeDo-I have been to Crestview, it is a smaller area,more quiet then Central Florida where I am from. Destin which is nearby tends to attract people with more money and who seem to be seasonal residents and own beach homes. Ft. Walton Beach also nearby can be crowded, you do get some spring breakers who are looking for the beach away from the crowded areas of Florida. The good thing I think for you about Crestview is that you are not far from being out of the state, traveling to Alabama is a short trip. Also you have Eglin Air Force base there, so you have a lot of young families and a big military presence. Being northern Florida you will get a very short version of winter which you may not miss at all coming from Chicago. However you will experience some culture shock, it is a very different lifestyle and is sometimes referred to as "The Redneck Riveria" but the beaches are nice and the area may fit in great with your interests. I wish you luck and hope that it is all you hoped for!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 AM

TNRyan23- I always hate to hear something like that, each area will have it's share of both good and bad. But I really have to wonder where you were going to meet women that were only interested in money. Because I am not that way and the majority of the women that I know are not that way. I am as far from a fan of Florida as you can be, but knowing how hard friends have tried to meet decent guys here in Florida, it is sad to hear that men left Florida thinking all of it's women were the same. I am only hoping that the people on other states are different, I myself do not have the best feelings about fellow Florida citizens. There is a huge problem in Florida and I am only hoping that it is not true of the entire country that people-young, old you name it stay in their houses and do very little socializing. I like to go to friends houses, I love dinner parties and just meeting up with friends, but the majority of people my age and even younger stay home and watch television. I am in the process of actually visting schools in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast to transfer to, I am hoping that the people there are different.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
There is a huge problem in Florida and I am only hoping that it is not true of the entire country that people-young, old you name it stay in their houses and do very little socializing. I like to go to friends houses, I love dinner parties and just meeting up with friends, but the majority of people my age and even younger stay home and watch television.
I've found things like that to be happening in places like PA as well...the women stay at home or only hang out with their friends and then complain they can't meet men.
I can undertstand staying inside in FL,especially in summer! Although the women I came across loved always being out(this was winter though)...but perhaps that might have added something to the 'flightiness' that people refer to in FL. People don't slow down enough to stop and get to know each other.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 AM

464 posts, read 1,742,284 times
Quote:
HowDeDo-I have been to Crestview, it is a smaller area,more quiet then Central Florida where I am from. Destin which is nearby tends to attract people with more money and who seem to be seasonal residents and own beach homes. Ft. Walton Beach also nearby can be crowded, you do get some spring breakers who are looking for the beach away from the crowded areas of Florida. The good thing I think for you about Crestview is that you are not far from being out of the state, traveling to Alabama is a short trip. Also you have Eglin Air Force base there, so you have a lot of young families and a big military presence. Being northern Florida you will get a very short version of winter which you may not miss at all coming from Chicago. However you will experience some culture shock, it is a very different lifestyle and is sometimes referred to as "The Redneck Riveria" but the beaches are nice and the area may fit in great with your interests. I wish you luck and hope that it is all you hoped for!
Thanks much for your response ; 3 followup questions please : 1. Can you describe The Culture in Crestview so I know whats in store for me ? 2. Is there an attraction to driving into Alabama (from Crestview) ? 3. Can you recommend any 'must see/must do' things in or around Crestview ? Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida