Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 AM

134 posts, read 492,759 times

Advertisements

Hey, I was wondering if florida was a good place to live/ Start out.

Is the Employment rate high or low?
Taxes?
decent schools?
High or low rent prices?

Thanks Goodfella24
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:04 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,148,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella24 View Post

Taxes?
decent schools?
High or low rent prices?

Thanks Goodfella24
I like to live here. It is not a good place to get started though.

There is a very high unemployment rate.

Schools are not the best in the country. Some areas have good schools, many have bad. I believe the Universities and Colleges are OK.

Rent - Depends on where you live. There is both.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:04 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,195,212 times
FloridaKash puts it as it should be. While unemployment will decrease in time, its not a ripe time to be coming to FL from anywhere, at least that is my opinion on it. Just keep a few things in mind, especially the climate. Deciding of what kind of density you want to live in will make a big difference in your rental prices. Higher density is going to demand higher rental prices. Its a big state with a lot of different areas that offer different things. Deciding on the
type of lifestyle you want will make a big difference too.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:01 PM

2,090 posts, read 1,637,999 times
The current state unemployment rate is one of the highest in the nation. Of course, if you already had a job in place, it could make for an easier transition. As far as taxes, there is no state income tax for individuals, and the sales tax is higher than some other states that do have a state income tax for individuals. The public school systems can be good or bad, depending on the statistical test scores, graduation rates, etc. Rentals can greatly vary in pricing depending on size, features, and location. If possible, take a trip to the area you wish to relocate and see if it would be a good fit.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,812,029 times
Everyone here is correct.

The OP is a 20 yo looking to move from CT to start college, according to his other posts.

With that detail, I would consider a college area-Tampa/Orlando/Gainesville if you have college paid for/student loans and can survive on a part time minimum wage job. If you are looking for full time work that will support school and living expenses that will be difficult if not impossible. Plus you'll be paying out of state tuition at the state schools.

Florida is not a good "start over" state.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:23 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,262,779 times
A nice place to live yes. A good place to start out No.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,602 times
Hi,

I have been accepted to USF for my master's but the only thing that is stopping me is the way so many people have cautioned about Florida and its bad weather. Although I dont mind living in the heat, the constant no's to florida are scaring me?
Is the place not worth it? Can anybody help?

Old 03-04-2014, 05:10 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,173,704 times
Bad weather....hmmm

minus 20
6 feet of snow
ice storms

yea its hell here

seriously, winter is beautiful, summer is hot and humid,t-storms every day, bugs yes

if I was 35 years younger and about to go to school USF wouldn't be a bad choice....near the beach ,near the city

gloves and wooly hat and thick coat or Bikini ............you decide

Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,812,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranqueen View Post
Hi,

I have been accepted to USF for my master's but the only thing that is stopping me is the way so many people have cautioned about Florida and its bad weather. Although I dont mind living in the heat, the constant no's to florida are scaring me?
Is the place not worth it? Can anybody help?
I went to grad school at USF and liked it.

We need more details about your situation to give better advice. What "no" are you talking about.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:34 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,057,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella24 View Post

Taxes?
decent schools?
High or low rent prices?

Thanks Goodfella24

The state of Texas is cheaper to live than Florida housing prices and such.The south part of Florida is not all cheap now and getting costly with so many people moving there.The central and north part of Florida is cheaper than south part of Florida.

The schools are better in the north part of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida