Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:04 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,965,988 times

Advertisements

And here I thought another positive Florida poster and you blew it by advertising.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:05 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times
Default Queens, Brooklyn, etc.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Thank you for putting to rest the exagerrations.
are not Manhattan. When people talk of NYC, they all think Manhattan. The other boroughs are nowhere near as expensive to live. The plus is that property taxes in NYC are very, very CHEAP. All the tax money comes from commerical property taxes, so the private homeowner pays very little.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:06 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
And here I thought another positive Florida poster and you blew it by advertising.
Hey, people in Florida are broke. They even have to use City-Data to try to bring business,lol.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 PM

360 posts, read 1,909,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by College_student10 View Post
TNRyan23- I always hate to hear something like that, each area will have it's share of both good and bad. But I really have to wonder where you were going to meet women that were only interested in money. Because I am not that way and the majority of the women that I know are not that way. I am as far from a fan of Florida as you can be, but knowing how hard friends have tried to meet decent guys here in Florida, it is sad to hear that men left Florida thinking all of it's women were the same. I am only hoping that the people on other states are different, I myself do not have the best feelings about fellow Florida citizens. There is a huge problem in Florida and I am only hoping that it is not true of the entire country that people-young, old you name it stay in their houses and do very little socializing. I like to go to friends houses, I love dinner parties and just meeting up with friends, but the majority of people my age and even younger stay home and watch television. I am in the process of actually visting schools in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast to transfer to, I am hoping that the people there are different.
You would think living in Florida people would be more outdoorsy types. And I know not everyone sits around at home in Florida because Florida looks pretty lively to me. I know when I move down there I'm not sitting around inside the house. I will walk, jog, bike, nature trail, visit parks, cook out at home and elsewhere, visit beaches, and do all the active things I do up north here when it's 90 degrees out. I don't see moving/living in Florida and just staying a hermit inside your house. That's pretty pathetic to me. I like my share of tv also, but you can bet I'll be outside still, down there.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
You would think living in Florida people would be more outdoorsy types. And I know not everyone sits around at home in Florida because Florida looks pretty lively to me. I know when I move down there I'm not sitting around inside the house. I will walk, jog, bike, nature trail, visit parks, cook out at home and elsewhere, visit beaches, and do all the active things I do up north here when it's 90 degrees out. I don't see moving/living in Florida and just staying a hermit inside your house. That's pretty pathetic to me. I like my share of tv also, but you can bet I'll be outside still, down there.

Thats what they all say before they move to Florida,lol.

Last edited by DailyJournalist; 09-06-2008 at 07:51 PM..

Old 09-06-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Thats what they all say before they move to Florida,lol.
LOL could be... I just know for myself what type of person I am and to me, you do not move to or live in a sunny place like Florida and just sit inside.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:01 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times
Default Most people have to work for a living

Quote:
LOL could be... I just know for myself what type of person I am and to me, you do not move to or live in a sunny place like Florida and just sit inside.
They are working 5 days a week for 40 hours a day. At least 6 months out of the year it is over 90 degrees, not counting the heat index, every single day. The only people out there doing strenuous activity in the middle of the day are those people who HAVE TO.

My husband rides his bike and plays golf. He only goes out during these months during early morning or early evening. He rides at 7 AM or 7 PM. When he plays golf, on the weekends because he works, his teeoff time is for 7 AM so he will be finished by Noon. It is too damned hot. We live on a golf course. There is NOBODY out there in the middle of the day this time of the year. There is no shade and no breeze.

My daughter came down in July for 5 days. We went to the beach once. There were very few people there. I believe the temperature was somewhere around 95 degrees and the water temperature was only a few degrees less. We spent an hour at the beach. The entire time we stayed we stayed in the water and then went home. It was too HOT to just sit there in the sand. The other days she was here we went shopping at the malls. THAT was crowded. I guess most people wanted to be inside somewhere with the AC going.

That is how it is 6 months out of the year. People stay INDOORS.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:29 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,930,733 times
Quote:
You do tend to adjust when you do things, mornings and evenings are pleasant. The mid-day summer sun can make a strong man weak.
Like you I can't stand to just sit indoors and I'm not alone. Yesterday I had to fix my well pump, I needed parts so I got on my bike to go to the hardware store. There were more people on bikes than cars. (Probably unique to Venice).
The beach is great this time of year the water temps are mid-80's.
Tee times are easy to get in the summer, My wife and I tend to start play around 3, no pressure from behind and no waiting at the tee.
When I fish in the summer, I fish mornings and evenings.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM

464 posts, read 1,742,493 times
' I know when I move down there I'm not sitting around inside the house. I will walk, jog, bike, nature trail, visit parks, cook out at home and elsewhere, visit beaches, and do all the active things I do up north here when it's 90 degrees out. I don't see moving/living in Florida and just staying a hermit inside your house. That's pretty pathetic to me. I like my share of tv also, but you can bet I'll be outside still, down there.'

REPLY: Im moving to Florida too from far northern Illinois and I plan on doing all the things you mentioned when i get there ; but, I have a strong feeling that it will be curtailed by the oppresive combination of humidity and high temperatures . That said, id rather have that than 5 solid months of snow clearing, chopping ice off the windshield, driving on dangerous roads, and hoping my car starts in -10 f. (and colder) weather.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
' I know when I move down there I'm not sitting around inside the house. I will walk, jog, bike, nature trail, visit parks, cook out at home and elsewhere, visit beaches, and do all the active things I do up north here when it's 90 degrees out. I don't see moving/living in Florida and just staying a hermit inside your house. That's pretty pathetic to me. I like my share of tv also, but you can bet I'll be outside still, down there.'

REPLY: Im moving to Florida too from far northern Illinois and I plan on doing all the things you mentioned when i get there ; but, I have a strong feeling that it will be curtailed by the oppresive combination of humidity and high temperatures . That said, id rather have that than 5 solid months of snow clearing, chopping ice off the windshield, driving on dangerous roads, and hoping my car starts in -10 f. (and colder) weather.
Oh me also! I think some who live in Florida take everything for granted just because they live there all around it. Maybe after I'm there for years driving by all the recreational parks and the ocean next to you everyday at your disposal to use, maybe one gets used to everything after awhile. But I'm active and an outdoors person and I've spent time in SW Florida (Clearwater) in late summer and I did not just sit inside. Some people hate cold and love warmer weather. If the sun is shining, I'm out in it. That's just the type of person I am. Why do these people live in such a tropical environment if they hate it and just sit inside all the time? That is not living life to me. Kinda explains some of the crabbiness from some I guess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida