Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:40 PM

436 posts, read 1,358,046 times

Advertisements

Before I became a resident, I was a tourist. Unless you are a native Floridian, aren't we all tourists at some point. I know it has to be tough to live in an area with constant traffic, but then why choose that area if you are going to be annoyed with it? I have no problem with tourists, snow birds, or people in general. I am friendly and most are friendly back. When I encounter those who aren't, I feel sorry because those people generally are not happy with life. What a shame for them.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:02 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
I went to Florida without ever seeing it at all. I went to Inverness, and loved it out there, it's pretty small for a town, lots of cow pastures! Homasassa is nice too if you like countryside, which I do. Then we moved to Orlando(Winter Park). I liked it there too, but that was in 1995. From there I went to Melbourne, which I still like. So I was never a tourist, I just ...went!!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:04 PM

72 posts, read 162,348 times
No, not all of us are tourists before we get here.

I love seeing tourists and I love being around them. Never can understand why they come here in the first place, but I am so sad when they leave.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default What is so hard to understand about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I don't have a problem with tourists. My real issue is with people who live here for years but consider themselves "temporary residents".
My husband's cousin was an insurance executve. His had to open new offices around the country, and the world. I don't remember where but they did live in Florida for 2 years while he opened the office, hired staff, got it running, etc. They bought a house here, but rented out their home in Ct. When the office was up and operational, they sold the Florida house and went back to Ct.

He lived for a few years in California, Arizona, and even London. He is a perfect example of your "temporary resident." He and his family knew perfectly well they weren't going to stay in Florida, or Ca., or anywhere else. Ct. was their PERMANENT residence.

I am sure if you bothered to research it there are probably quite a few people living here who are "temporary residents", for one reason or another. It's just that Florida PUSHES people to become permanent residents.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
The whole "temporary" issue:

If you don't live here year round, then you are NOT a "permanent" resident. Many people spend six months or less in Florida, and the rest of the year "somewhere else".

Old 10-07-2008, 04:47 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,637 times
I'm talking about people who live here year round, complaint about a lot of things here, but won't vote or take part in improving things in the community because they consider themselves temporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The whole "temporary" issue:

If you don't live here year round, then you are NOT a "permanent" resident. Many people spend six months or less in Florida, and the rest of the year "somewhere else".

Old 10-07-2008, 05:20 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default They lived here year round

Quote:
I'm talking about people who live here year round, complained about a lot of things here, but won't vote or take part in improving things in the community because they consider themselves temporary.
for 2 years. They complained about here to us. Actually, they didn't like the weather either. I don't know if they voted. Improve the community? Well, I guess just the nature of his job improved the community.

However, I AM that person you are talking about. I complain about the weather all the time. I am voting, but only in national elections. Maybe I will for the Senate, since that will affect the rest of the country. Governor and local officials? I doubt it.

Improve the community? Well, I suppose just the nature of the my job too is "improving the community".

However, I am a temporary resident because I don't intend to stay, no matter how long that is.

Hell, I could decide on Monday before my plane takes off, that I am not coming back.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 PM

I sure didn't fall into that catagory. I was there for 15, voted there, volunteered at my daughters schools, helped out in Palm Bay cleaning alongside the river to keep the manatees safe.

Quote:
I'm talking about people who live here year round, complaint about a lot of things here, but won't vote or take part in improving things in the community because they consider themselves temporary.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:06 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,637 times
Kudos to you--too bad some others here aren't as responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
I sure didn't fall into that catagory. I was there for 15, voted there, volunteered at my daughters schools, helped out in Palm Bay cleaning alongside the river to keep the manatees safe.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:32 PM

Yes we did a thing where we picked out cans, bottles, plastic can holders like in a 6 pack, and most importantly fishing line which is bad for the Manatees and other river/sealife like the dolphins. My ex and I did a sea turtle preservation thing on the Melbourne beach back in 1997 where we walked up and down the beach to locate the nests and mark them(closely watched by the state I must add). There were about 50-75 people. She was into marine biology, so we both signed up even though I was not going for that. It made me feel better about myself doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida