Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:54 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
WSome people, however, feel the entire state of Florida is all the same. Florida, like every state of the Union, is not perfect, not paradise.
So true, North Florida and the Panhandle are like what people think of when they think of the "South". Central Florida Tampa, Orlando, over to the space coast is a mix of the South and the Mid-West. Then you have the Southwest part of the state full of retires. The Keys are what Florida once was still. And then you have South Florida (Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami) more like the Northeast. All areas are different in many ways.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,151,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
It just seems to me that the state of Florida is doing everything it possibly can to declare ANYBODY a permanent resident. I can only say to a lot of snowbirds, be careful. Be very, very careful with this state.
Right. They're out to get you. Don't forget to wear your tin foil hat.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:38 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default You like statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Right. They're out to get you. Don't forget to wear your tin foil hat.
So look at this thread's poll numbers. That says it all.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:05 PM

436 posts, read 1,358,046 times
Quote:
So look at this thread's poll numbers. That says it all.
I get it; I totally do. You did not want to move here, but you had to and you're stuck and unhappy. I would be too if this were not my type of climate and surroundings. But with all due respect, to actually give any warranty to this type of poll is ridiculous. Most people I know, who by the way, love living here, don't even know about City-Data. This poll only says those who posted, and don't like Florida, were higher in numbers....and of course, you know that too.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:32 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default Not everbody wants to move to Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I get it; I totally do. You did not want to move here, but you had to and you're stuck and unhappy. I would be too if this were not my type of climate and surroundings. But with all due respect, to actually give any warranty to this type of poll is ridiculous. Most people I know, who by the way, love living here, don't even know about City-Data. This poll only says those who posted, and don't like Florida, were higher in numbers....and of course, you know that too.
Anyone from any state can post on this poll with just a city data account. I am sure many have. There was also another similar thread which was posted on this and another state board with similar results. Anyway, Florida is no longer THE place to move to. North Carolina, Tenneesse, Pa., are becoming much more popular.

I don't need this poll to confirm what I already know from PEOPLE I know who don't post on here. Hell, a few of my husband long time friends and cowokers wouldn't even come to Florida to VISIT, let alone consider moving here.

Florida is getting a very bad reputation around the country. I guess that is why the state is bending over backwards to "attract" residents.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:47 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
The big attraction that Florida had in the past was the warm weather and low home prices and property taxes. This often made up for the severe cut in pay that most people would experience when moving to Florida from other major states. However times have changed and Florida's home prices and taxes are now greatly elevated and employment opportunities continue to diminish along with salaries. Most working people no longer view warm weather as a good enough reason to move to Florida and leave good employment behind. Simply put Florida is no longer the bargain it once was, many will not leave good jobs to come to Florida and work for peanuts and still not be able to afford a home.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:53 PM

I don't know about "The" place to move to right now, with this economy. I think many people are just staying put. I never really thought that there was "the place to move to" as people have many reasons for moving; many of them are job related. When I decided to move, from PA, I never thought about what was popular. I just knew what I wanted and researched until I found the place for me. I missed Florida bending over backwards for me though, lol.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The big attraction that Florida had in the past was the warm weather and low home prices and property taxes. This often made up for the severe cut in pay that most people would experience when moving to Florida from other major states. However times have changed and Florida's home prices and taxes are now greatly elevated and employment opportunities continue to diminish along with salaries. Most working people no longer view warm weather as a good enough reason to move to Florida and leave good employment behind. Simply put Florida is no longer the bargain it once was, many will not leave good jobs to come to Florida and work for peanuts and still not be able to afford a home.
That is why researching a big move is so important. I made sure I could afford the move and had a job in place to continue affording it. I wasn't surprised or disappointed when I moved here. Honestly, Florida has been exactly what I was looking for and so far, I have no regrets. I don't know if I would ever leave a great job behind unless I had a better one waiting for me, no matter where it was.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:00 PM

558 posts, read 1,836,012 times
Quote:
Anyone from any state can post on this poll with just a city data account. I am sure many have. There was also another similar thread which was posted on this and another state board with similar results. Anyway, Florida is no longer THE place to move to. North Carolina, Tenneesse, Pa., are becoming much more popular.

I don't need this poll to confirm what I already know from PEOPLE I know who don't post on here. Hell, a few of my husband long time friends and cowokers wouldn't even come to Florida to VISIT, let alone consider moving here.

Florida is getting a very bad reputation around the country. I guess that is why the state is bending over backwards to "attract" residents.
I Agree 100%. I'm surprised the poll isn't higher.

People need to understand that most us who move to Florida do so because we originally loved the state. There are things you just don't know by visiting and vacationing here and have to learn the hard way (like me). I can't wait to see the Welcome to Florida sign in my rearview mirror. That will be when happiness and sanity returns to my Florida-riddled mind. I'll take high paying jobs and friendly people over palm trees and warmer winters anyday.

Move to Florida happy and with money, and leave miserable and broke! Ah Paradise .

Old 10-20-2008, 12:34 PM

7 posts, read 14,370 times
I LOVE living in Fla year round. No interest in the snow, the white Christmas, the heating bills, the autumn leaves changing etc etc. I like the beach year round, I like the cooler but not freezing winters and the summers are hot yes, I know and humid. Nothing a pool can't fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida