Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:07 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times

Advertisements

All Americans can stay where they're born. They don't even have to cross into other counties, much less states.

I'm the sort who does NOT like to move about. I like to remain in one place until death. Had my parents not FORCED me to move, I would have been content to stay there, but I wasn't given a choice.

So I moved..and I didn't feel like ever moving again. I see no reason for people to move about. The people who LIVE here, can do their part to support local businesses, we do not need tourists.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:36 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
All Americans can stay where they're born. They don't even have to cross into other counties, much less states.

I'm the sort who does NOT like to move about. I like to remain in one place until death. Had my parents not FORCED me to move, I would have been content to stay there, but I wasn't given a choice.

So I moved..and I didn't feel like ever moving again. I see no reason for people to move about. The people who LIVE here, can do their part to support local businesses, we do not need tourists.

Nah, we definitely NEED and LIKE tourists where I'm from! Season is THE time to make $$$!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
How does crime go uo with snowbirds????? They are all 60+ years old!!! I have not seen an 80 year old couple robbing the liquor store.... I agree with traffic though. Stress? Florida does that to you on its own.

Quote:
But while they're here, everything's worse. Crime, traffic, stress....can't they just stay home all year?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:09 PM

197 posts, read 735,004 times
How's your move back to Massachusetts been, BacktoMA4good? I hope it's going well!

I do have to ask, though, where you moved to? Was it Pittsfield? My wife and I lived there from 2000-2004 (she was actually from there), and basically we found NOTHING TO DO at all. It seemed that to do anything fun, we had to go to Albany or Springfield. And I hated the drive back and forth everyday from Pittsfield to Springfield, for college classes. The weather up there is super! I love snow and ice (wish they'd get more snow, though) Not much to do, though! Ironically, my brother lives in the Volusia County (FL) area and is wanting us to move there from Kentucky. We're moving there sometime between November this year and April of next year

Old 10-05-2008, 01:41 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Nah, we definitely NEED and LIKE tourists where I'm from! Season is THE time to make $$$!
What about the locals? Don't they patronize your business?

WTH am I thinking, I work retail--tourism doesn't help me any.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:27 AM

I'm not a go out to do this and that person. I am excited to go cross country skiing, hiking on a mountain, not a flat trail. Biking without chancing your life like in 90% of the places I lived in FL. Sledding with my daughter. Her first weekend here(yesterday) she played outside ALL day with the neighbors daughter. She never went outside down there.

Wow, I would hate a drive to Spfld from here every day too, no thanks on that.

I am from Northampton originally, moved from there in 1994 to Orlando. I loved FL for the first 5-6 years. I don't discount not moving there ever again either, but it will never be south Florida again I will say. Probably Melbourne or north of that. The air is too soupy and hot in SWFL for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTransientTranny View Post
How's your move back to Massachusetts been, BacktoMA4good? I hope it's going well!

I do have to ask, though, where you moved to? Was it Pittsfield? My wife and I lived there from 2000-2004 (she was actually from there), and basically we found NOTHING TO DO at all. It seemed that to do anything fun, we had to go to Albany or Springfield. And I hated the drive back and forth everyday from Pittsfield to Springfield, for college classes. The weather up there is super! I love snow and ice (wish they'd get more snow, though) Not much to do, though! Ironically, my brother lives in the Volusia County (FL) area and is wanting us to move there from Kentucky. We're moving there sometime between November this year and April of next year

Old 10-05-2008, 06:33 AM

464 posts, read 1,742,284 times
Quote:

You have the perogative to stay in one place if you wish. But American Freedom gives people to live in any State if they wish and to do so without persecution from others. Please dont persecute your fellow American if he wants to live in the State you reside in ; instead share and welcome such people . In actuality, it isnt 'your' State , County, Town, Park, Lake, Highway, local Bar, Restaurant --- you are only enjoying them temporarily so let others do the same. Try and get along with all people and continue to make America a great place to live .

Old 10-05-2008, 06:37 AM

464 posts, read 1,742,284 times
Quote:

If you work in retail and there was no tourism, your job would be in serious jeopardy. Next time you see a Tourist with 3 cameras hanging around his neck, straw hat, and a button with Anita Bryant on it...shake his hand and say 'thanks for coming to Florida !' .

Old 10-05-2008, 07:10 AM

I could not agree more. Nice post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
If you work in retail and there was no tourism, your job would be in serious jeopardy. Next time you see a Tourist with 3 cameras hanging around his neck, straw hat, and a button with Anita Bryant on it...shake his hand and say 'thanks for coming to Florida !' .

Old 10-05-2008, 10:14 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:

I don't have a business. "My" industry is dependent on bad drivers and belly-up insurance companies not paying property claims.

But yes, businesses are "patroned" by the locals, but not enough to keep things vibrant and profitable. Most smart restaurants, for example, will open up a month or two before "season," to work out all the kinks in the business plan, and the ride the increased sales receipts to get through the slow summer season.

I have friends that own a coffee shop in Jensen Beach. Their business is 2X what it is in the summer during season. Oftentimes, in the summer, they close early because there's not enough customers. In downtown West Palm Beach, condo buildings that look 3/4 empty from May - October suddenly light up like Christmas trees during season, and business picks up in Cityplace and the surrounding areas.

Call me crazy, but I LIKE the vibrancy of tourist and snowbird season. It's actually a pleasure to me to see people HAPPY and having FUN in my hometown. Traffic sucks, yes, but when I lived in Tallahassee, we all complained about "legislative season".... but knew that the businesses loved it because of all the money it pumped into the economy. Traffic is a small price to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida