Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2021, 10:04 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I don’t think there necessarily needs to be a statewide method, but the state could be looking to assist those counties that are having trouble. For example, with DeSantis’s spat with the CNN reporter, instead of being argumentative like Trump when the reporter asked him why there were lines in specific counties, he could have said something to the tune of “the situation in those counties are unfortunate, and my administration will be contacting those entities to see how we can more effectively distribute the vaccines.”
Nah. Go watch the actual CNN segment. It's a full blown bash Florida, bash DeSantis circle jerk.

He was spot on in his response. He wasn't going to let the reporter get away with her nonsense. As he pointed out, in a few locations with those issues, they DIDN'T use the registration. And he did fully answer the question.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...ot-vpx-tsr.cnn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 11:26 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Nah. Go watch the actual CNN segment. It's a full blown bash Florida, bash DeSantis circle jerk.

He was spot on in his response. He wasn't going to let the reporter get away with her nonsense. As he pointed out, in a few locations with those issues, they DIDN'T use the registration. And he did fully answer the question.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...ot-vpx-tsr.cnn

Um, I "actually" watched the CNN segment on Wolf Blitzer when he replayed it in its entirety on the day that it happened.

Anyway, he could have chosen a more tactful way to respond just like we are expected to do with customers (whether public facing or B2B) at our jobs.

Now, let me go to EventBrite to register for a COVID vaccine when it's my turn [rolls eyes].... maybe my county will make it a Facebook event.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:07 PM

18,448 posts, read 8,275,501 times
DeSantis announced what he was going to do....and how he was going to do it....before the rollout

..and now all these after the fact..armchair quarterbacks...are finding fault

where were they with all their great solutions before?...no where....because they didn't have any great ideas to begin with

but they can all line up and take pot shots after the fact

I wouldn't want to be in his shoes...I'm not as gentle as he is

Old 01-10-2021, 03:21 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
<<AMY GOODMAN: He’s not telling the whole story there. Florida Governor DeSantis was the one who dropped the age from 75 to 65, not giving the senior citizens, like John and Maria Luisa, priority so that they didn’t have to wait day after day. And many are infirm and could not.>>

https://www.democracynow.org/2021/1/...irus_dashboard

Old 01-10-2021, 04:19 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Default Florida vaccine free-for-all?

<<‘It Became Sort of Lawless’: Florida Vaccine Rollout Turns Into a Free-for-All>>

<<The plurality of vaccine doses have gone so far to people between the ages of 65 and 74, not to people 75 and older who are the most vulnerable to the virus.>>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/it...?ocid=msedgntp

By comparison, Ohio's Republican Governor Mike DeWine has instituted a Phase 1B vaccination program that layers vaccine availability by age, emphasizes availability for those with severe pre-existing conditions, and with an emphasis on vaccinating teachers and school staff to facilitate safely the physical reopening of schools.

<<The next group of vaccinations, phase 1B, will begin Jan. 19, DeWine said. Starting that week, individuals over the age of 80 will be eligible for the vaccine, followed by people over 75 the next week, he said.

https://wviz.ideastream.org/news/whe...northeast-ohio

In Ohio, persons age 70-74 will become eligible along with school staffs on Feb. 1, and persons age 65 and over will become eligible on Feb. 8 (unless they have severe pre-existing conditions as noted above).

https://www.13abc.com/2021/01/08/gov...cination-plan/

To my knowledge, vaccinations in Ohio are done in group settings (nursing homes) or by appointment at vaccination clinics.

<<To get the vaccine, individuals in both Cuyahoga [Greater Cleveland] and Summit [Greater Akron] counties will first have to register for an appointment time online. Those not in the current priority groups cannot yet register, health officials said.>>

People with severe congenital, developmental, or early-onset medical disorders will be able to get the vaccine starting Jan. 25, he said.

As noted in the above-linked article, Ohio counties do not begin Phase 1b vaccinations until all Phase 1 persons who desire a vaccine are vaccinated. This does not seem to be the case in Florida given the limited number of vaccines administered to date in relation to the size of the Phase 1 cohorts. Additionally, only 520,000 Floridians have received the first dose COVID-19 vaccination as of Jan. 9. Even though Florida has over 900,000 residents aged 80 plus and almost 1.4 million residents aged 70-79, only 120,000 Floridians over age 75 have been vaccinated. So much for DeSantis' claim of prioritizing the elderly most at risk if infected by COVID-19.

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_pa...ort_latest.pdf

https://acl.gov/sites/default/files/...le%20Final.pdf

<<DeWine’s plan includes getting Ohio educators – everyone from teachers to bus drivers and cafeteria workers – vaccinated beginning Feb. 1, with a goal of getting students back into schools, either full-time or as part of a hybrid model, by March 1.>>

https://wviz.ideastream.org/news/ohi...school-be-safe

Last edited by WRnative; 01-10-2021 at 05:12 PM..

Old 01-10-2021, 09:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
So how to the Republican fanboys reconcile that DeSantis' plan gives vaccine priority to illegal immigrants over US citizens? Because it does if the undocumented person is over age 65. And apparently the foreigners are already takign shots away from Americans.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronav...f6u-story.html

Old 01-11-2021, 02:31 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
So how to the Republican fanboys reconcile that DeSantis' plan gives vaccine priority to illegal immigrants over US citizens? Because it does if the undocumented person is over age 65. And apparently the foreigners are already takign shots away from Americans.

The article reports several anecdotal incidents of covid vaccine "tourism" by people visiting from South America, Canada. But if you read the article you will see their disclaimer stating they don't actually know how many people are doing this, and there is speculation whether or not many people would make a trip solely to get that vaccine. And you know as well as anyone else that illegal aliens living in this country have access, no questions asked, to medical care, public school education, and other taxpayer funded amenities, so of course they'd be in line for the covid vaccine. That's a whole 'nuther topic, but suffice it to say their access to free healthcare, and many other benefits is likely to increase, in preference to native born citizens, as a matter of fact, under the incoming administration ( or so they say).

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm sure it does. I'd bet it occurs more often that people from NY, NJ, other states where bureaucratic dithering has delayed administration of the vaccine, due to conflicts in just who should get it first. Heck, it's even been reported that NY has distributed less than half of the doses it received, and they've had to throw out a number of doses due to their expiring. How shameful is that? But I can imagine people there, waiting for their vaccine, not knowing when or if they will get it, hearing about how it's available in FL to those over 65 ( and to healthcare providers), and arranging to get it there.

I agree with DeSantis over the legality of requiring a local residence to get a vaccine funded by taxpayer dollars, but I can see requiring US residency to get it. Besides, you should be aware that many of these visitors DO own property in FL.

The article is one of a number seeking to cast aspersion on the DeSantis administration by cherry picking a few anecdotal incidents where foreign visitors stated they got their covid vaccines in FL, rumors of foreign visitors encouraging trips just to get the vaccines, and residents complaining they haven't been able to get their vaccines or even make an appointment to date. At least the authors of the article had the grace to admit they had no information regarding how widespread this is, or how often it is occurring.

And it IS a work in progress.

Old 01-11-2021, 08:05 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:

Amazing nonsense you have come up with, as that's not, at all, what the story says. It doesn't give "priority" to illegal aliens.

Florida has a ton of non permanent residents, snowbirds. It's a significant portion of our population. So it's obviously sensible to make everyone in that age group eligible whether they are a snowbird from Quebec or New York. Checking legal status would only slow the distribution and you would be whining and complaining about that, too.

As for anyone flying in to Florida to try and get the vaccine and jump the line, yes, that could happen, but the article addresses this (did you even read the article?).

"It is absolutely not permitted for someone to come into Florida for one day to receive the vaccine and leave the next,” Jason Mahon, spokesman for the Florida Department of Health, said. “We ask that all suspected incidents be reported to the appropriate county health department immediately.”

Old 01-11-2021, 08:42 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm sure it does. I'd bet it occurs more often that people from NY, NJ, other states where bureaucratic dithering has delayed administration of the vaccine, due to conflicts in just who should get it first. Heck, it's even been reported that NY has distributed less than half of the doses it received, and they've had to throw out a number of doses due to their expiring. How shameful is that? But I can imagine people there, waiting for their vaccine, not knowing when or if they will get it, hearing about how it's available in FL to those over 65 ( and to healthcare providers), and arranging to get it there.

New York makes a big incentive for health care providers to not let people jump the line-

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus...e-1m-fine.html

A million dollar fine for queue jumping is pretty significant deterrence. And yeah the language is hyperbole because it's a tabloid, but those folks who couldn't jump the line in New York may be ending up here instead

https://pagesix.com/2021/01/04/bill-...for-rich-pals/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Amazing nonsense you have come up with, as that's not, at all, what the story says. It doesn't give "priority" to illegal aliens.

If you're over 65, no questions asked is the official policy despite attempts to back pedal. There wa much wink and nudge over this to try to convince snowbirds to still come down this year.

Meanwhile in Michigan, my Mom was able to go online on Saturday morning and pretty easily grab vaccine slots at a local hospital for today for her and Dad (both over 75s). First jab is already done with no fuss or excessive wait times in lines. Essential worker sister gets her first shot on Friday; if she was down here, she'd probably be lucky to get anything before May.

Since it's clear that it's everyone for themselves, am considering putting essential worker husband on a plane to the North if need be in order to get vaccinated in a timely manner. Flying is lower risk than his typical work day. It's personal responsibility to do so and hey, if we can throw some money at a problem and fix it, then why not?

Old 01-11-2021, 09:02 AM

469 posts, read 467,079 times
Quote:
New York makes a big incentive for health care providers to not let people jump the line-

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus...e-1m-fine.html

A million dollar fine for queue jumping is pretty significant deterrence. And yeah the language is hyperbole because it's a tabloid, but those folks who couldn't jump the line in New York may be ending up here instead

https://pagesix.com/2021/01/04/bill-...for-rich-pals/

If you're over 65, no questions asked is the official policy despite attempts to back pedal. There wa much wink and nudge over this to try to convince snowbirds to still come down this year.

Meanwhile in Michigan, my Mom was able to go online on Saturday morning and pretty easily grab vaccine slots at a local hospital for today for her and Dad (both over 75s). First jab is already done with no fuss or excessive wait times in lines. Essential worker sister gets her first shot on Friday; if she was down here, she'd probably be lucky to get anything before May.

Since it's clear that it's everyone for themselves, am considering putting essential worker husband on a plane to the North if need be in order to get vaccinated in a timely manner. Flying is lower risk than his typical work day. It's personal responsibility to do so and hey, if we can throw some money at a problem and fix it, then why not?

My mom is 89 and she easily got her vaccine appointment in Indiana. They went by age group there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida