Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 04:59 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I guess you had no idea Key West has to be one of the sunniest and warmest places in the United States year round. The climate in the winter stays 75-80 degrees with warmer days mixed in. Key West is the closest you'll get to the equator while still being in the United States. The average temperature in September there is 88 degrees. The hottest temp EVER recorded in Key West is 100 in June, 1880, July 1880 and in August, 1880. If you find 88 degrees to be uncomfortable, I can't think of many places in the U.S. where you won't find that temperature in the summer. The average humidity in Key West in September is between 80 or so percent in the day and 70 percent or so at night.

I for one do not consider the summer in FL as "suffering". I certainly do not find the winter as "suffering" either. It's FL, its south, its hot in the summer, pleasant most of the rest of the year. Not a lot to comprehend.

So, if FL isn't you thing, hey, thanks fine. But the gross exaggerations

such as "the gates of Hell", "conditions can be horrendous" are simply ridiculous statements.

Humans live in a lot of different climates around the world and have for many thousands of years.

What it boils down to is you personally do not like hot weather.

Not to get political, but you see that IS the problem, with Rick Scott and his idea of attracting business to Florida. It is a SMALL MINORITY of people who want to live in Florida year round. To get businesses from up North to relocate to Florida is a major problem because their employees won't move here, and there isn't enough local talents to fill the gap. I worked many years go for a northern corporation up north who considered this. For the reasons I stated, they stayed put, and to this day are still there.

Florida is not everybody's cup of tea.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:15 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
I got my specs from the National Weather Service.

I guess you've made your point. You do not like hot weather. Since you dislike hot weather I would guess that you will never come back again.

I can understand hating heat and humidity as I detest cold.

I don't think you have any Floridians going to the Northern CD forums
telling everyone how much the cold sucks, but some people seen to find it necessary to frequently announce that they hate the heat and humidity of FL. It makes no difference to us who live here, we live here because of the heat and humidity. So what is your point about posting the same thing time and time again? Just to troll for responses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
"Key West is the closest you'll get to the equator while still being in the United States." No, Key West is the closest I ever want to be to Hell!

Now I don't know where you got your weather specs from, really don't care how accurate or inaccurate they are, when we were there the temps felt around 110* & extremely humid, & that is NO GROSS EXAGGERATION. Of course we've had temps here at 88* & much higher, but what we felt was temps we've never experienced before ever, enough to chase us the hell outta there (pardon the pun). Understand this was our 1st trip to FL, we didn't know what to expect in terms of heat, Disneyworld was so damn hot during the day we had to abort our visit & only go there after the sun went down, we stayed hemmed up in our hotel room during the day.

Why some of you Floridians are so super sensitive, get downright obnoxious & defensive when people say they hate the heat & humidity there is ridiculous to me,so if you want to say something's ridiculous, that's what I call ridiculous, constantly defending the undefendable oppressive heat/humidity, unless you all have a alteria motive such as being realtors, travel agency owners, or some other business venture. If we hate it then we hate it, so what? If you come up north in Jan & there's a blizzard & you speak about it why would I try to ridicule you for your dislike of a blizzard? I found Orlando & Key West to be downright miserable in terms of tempertures in Sept & it doesn't make me a liar or gross exaggerator either.........now what?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:18 PM

Small minority? Its the 4th most populated state in the U.S. There are over 18 million people in this state.

Right, FL is not everybody's cup of tea, but if you don't like it, hey, great.
But why do you even care if you don't live here and never will?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Not to get political, but you see that IS the problem, with Rick Scott and his idea of attracting business to Florida. It is a SMALL MINORITY of people who want to live in Florida year round. To get businesses from up North to relocate to Florida is a major problem because their employees won't move here, and there isn't enough local talents to fill the gap. I worked many years go for a northern corporation up north who considered this. For the reasons I stated, they stayed put, and to this day are still there.

Florida is not everybody's cup of tea.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:20 PM

Well, I've been here 23 years and I never had to get acclimated. I enjoyed it right off and still do.

I lived in Orlando for 17 years.

If you would enjoy life somewhere else in the summer, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Actually Hawaii is closer to the equator, but I get your point. But the true story is told by the heat index.

Heat index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

88 degrees with 70% humidity yields a heat index of 100. Pretty darn oppressive ...

I do find the summer here unbearable, but I'm in the Orlando area and not near the coast. Plotting my escape, but just not for weather reasons ...

I'm sure you could find the same "exaggerations" in the Wisconsin forum about the cold. Everyone can tolerate the heat differently ... I personally have been here for 16+ years and have not become acclimated. Everyone also is entitled to post whatever they feel about the climate of Florida, irregardless of whether they like or hate the heat. Relying on my personal experience tells me that I would enjoy life a lot more by spending summers elsewhere.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 PM

$50 grand a year in NYC, where I came from, wouldn't pay the rent and food.
$50 grand a year here and you can live pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
well i cant speak for the retirees but i did go down there to see if i would like to relocate there - i found that the chance of me earning a decent living slim to none - i was down there to visit my father while he was hospitalized - after speaking with a few nurses and one xray tech you can imagine my surprise to find out they all worked 2 jobs - i cant think of any place in the new england area that nurses arent making 50,000.00 on up - knowing that my job is less valuable than a nurse i assumed that would mean i would have to work 3 jobs -

Old 10-18-2011, 05:25 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
$50 grand a year in NYC, where I came from, wouldn't pay the rent and food.
$50 grand a year here and you can live pretty good.
$50 grand in the New England area as a nurse does not translate equally to $50 grand in Florida.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Of course not.

Quote:
$50 grand in the New England area as a nurse does not translate equally to $50 grand in Florida.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:44 PM

677 posts, read 933,604 times
Quote:
Actually Hawaii is closer to the equator, but I get your point. But the true story is told by the heat index.

Heat index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

88 degrees with 70% humidity yields a heat index of 100. Pretty darn oppressive ...

I do find the summer here unbearable, but I'm in the Orlando area and not near the coast. Plotting my escape, but just not for weather reasons ...

I'm sure you could find the same "exaggerations" in the Wisconsin forum about the cold. Everyone can tolerate the heat differently ... I personally have been here for 16+ years and have not become acclimated. Everyone also is entitled to post whatever they feel about the climate of Florida, irregardless of whether they like or hate the heat. Relying on my personal experience tells me that I would enjoy life a lot more by spending summers elsewhere.

Thank you leftee.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:14 PM

677 posts, read 933,604 times
Quote:
I got my specs from the National Weather Service.

I guess you've made your point. You do not like hot weather. Since you dislike hot weather I would guess that you will never come back again.

I can understand hating heat and humidity as I detest cold.

I don't think you have any Floridians going to the Northern CD forums
telling everyone how much the cold sucks, but some people seen to find it necessary to frequently announce that they hate the heat and humidity of FL. It makes no difference to us who live here, we live here because of the heat and humidity. So what is your point about posting the same thing time and time again? Just to troll for responses?
Back to you again. Don't care where you got your specs, don't care if they came from the NWS or the devil himself, I know for a fact what we went thru & how horrendous it was. I've been to FL on 3 different occasions, the last being the most enjoyable & I wrote about that as well, I was even in your backyard, Spring Hill, during Christmas then onto Orlando, the weather was beautiful & we enjoyed it.

As far as what forums I visit, guess what, I go any place I please, from FL, KY, WV, DE, PA, where ever. I like it here, now what? As far as Floridians living there bc they like the heat & humidity, well that's debateable, I've read post where many wish to get out, 1 just left as a matter of fact, ChirsA70, he couldn't wait to get outta FL. Some I suspect would love to leave FL but they are "stuck" (could you be one?) due to financial reasons. I know my brother & sister-in-law made a huge mistake moving to SH & would die to come back north but they too are stuck.

"So what is your point about posting the same thing time and time again? Just to troll for responses?"[/quote]

Well now, look who's talking. The same poster who comes running to the defense over & over again anytime anyone say's the least negative thing about FL, you are Florida's night in shining armour, we can count on you to come to the state's rescue. Furthermore I didn't address my post to you, it was addressed to SusanInSFL. But I've got news for ya, I'm gonna do me, if I want to reply to a poster on the FL forums I'll do so, just like you do. And if anyone's trolling for responses it's you & if anyone say's something you don't like or agree with you & your gang will be sure to swoop in & do your best to ridicule the poster, ya see I read a lot on here, I don't always comment but I see what's going on & I figured you out a long time ago. Till we meet again (cause I know we will).............bye!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:03 PM

Ah, so you returned twice after your horrible experience and found other visits more to your liking, obviously because it wasn't summer time. Say what ever you like, but 18 million people can't be wrong. As far as those who wish to return "home", I tell them go for it.

You seem to have a large chip on your shoulder for those who disagree with your opinion or try even to make sense of it. Your point seems to be that Florida is hot in the summer. Nobody will disagree with you on that.

I will go back to verify, but I do believe you quoted my post and therefore I recognized your post as a response to mine.

If you don't want responses to what you post publicaly, try a private message. Otherwise, your posting is public and is subject to response.

No, I am not "stuck" anywhere. I live here because I choose to, not because I have to. I just haven't been anywhere else where I would find the pleasures I have always found living in Florida.

Nobody is ridiculing a poster. I am simply disagreeing with your assessment of Florida. That you find offensive, because apparently there is only one possible opinion and that would be yours.

Yes, this is a Florida forum so you are going to find people who find joy and happiness in Florida and simply enjoy the weather and prefer it to living elsewhere.

Yeah, I've heard all the stories. "I can't sell my house" (try lowering the price to the going market) "My family is here" (take them with you, obviously they need to be rescued), "It's my job, I can't leave". Sure you can. Remember its better where you came from so going back should be a piece of cake, right?

For all those who "would die" to go back north, I wonder why on earth they decided to leave in the first place. Looking for something? Couldn't find it?

Glad you figured me out. Not much to figure out. I respond to what I believe is complete b.s. and incorrect information. I respond with factual information which simply shows that some people blow things way out of proportion to make a point on a subject they no nothing about and in this case it is life in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Back to you again. Don't care where you got your specs, don't care if they came from the NWS or the devil himself, I know for a fact what we went thru & how horrendous it was. I've been to FL on 3 different occasions, the last being the most enjoyable & I wrote about that as well, I was even in your backyard, Spring Hill, during Christmas then onto Orlando, the weather was beautiful & we enjoyed it.

As far as what forums I visit, guess what, I go any place I please, from FL, KY, WV, DE, PA, where ever. I like it here, now what? As far as Floridians living there bc they like the heat & humidity, well that's debateable, I've read post where many wish to get out, 1 just left as a matter of fact, ChirsA70, he couldn't wait to get outta FL. Some I suspect would love to leave FL but they are "stuck" (could you be one?) due to financial reasons. I know my brother & sister-in-law made a huge mistake moving to SH & would die to come back north but they too are stuck.

"So what is your point about posting the same thing time and time again? Just to troll for responses?"
Well now, look who's talking. The same poster who comes running to the defense over & over again anytime anyone say's the least negative thing about FL, you are Florida's night in shining armour, we can count on you to come to the state's rescue. Furthermore I didn't address my post to you, it was addressed to SusanInSFL. But I've got news for ya, I'm gonna do me, if I want to reply to a poster on the FL forums I'll do so, just like you do. And if anyone's trolling for responses it's you & if anyone say's something you don't like or agree with you & your gang will be sure to swoop in & do your best to ridicule the poster, ya see I read a lot on here, I don't always comment but I see what's going on & I figured you out a long time ago. Till we meet again (cause I know we will).............bye! [/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida