Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,156,119 times

Advertisements

Not all all. Negative to me is comments based on strictly personal observation written with the purpose of being negative.

You moved here. From upstate NY I think. Why? What drove you to change your life into an environment you obviously knew nothing about?

When we decided to leave NY we studied the cities and states we thought would appeal to us. We subscribed to newspapers and followed the local scene, amenities, weather, employment situation, cost of living (check out the ads in the paper to determine what costs what).
Once the choices were narrowed Florida won. Never regretted the choice. We knew what we were doing and were sure about our decision.
Never regretted it.

It appears to me that a few of you just relocated for no reason at all or relocated on a dream and now regret the choice.

If a person does not like where they live, they should carry out the next appropriate action. GO HOME.

Those of you with problems with Florida seem to be quick to post your opinions but are not tolerant of any position that disagrees with them even when factual information is provided to show the facts without
interjecting opinion.

Florida is great for me. I like vacationing here, I like living here, I like working here. If you don't, you have a problem, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Your definition of negative -

Any statement that doesn't agree with my opinion of Florida.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 PM

I agree with you Ken. Why live someplace you don't like. That is exactly my question. For those for who it was not a forward move, what was the thought process when you made the decision? You knew what you had, knew what you were leaving, but had reasons to do so anyway and did it.
So, at least they can say they did it and it didnt work out for them. But instead, they are going to constantly voice an opinion on how much everything in FL is not to their liking, but always have a reason for not correcting their mistake. Must make them feel better to vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Thats what we did. We just reversed the process and are very happy again . Why live someplace you dont like. I think a lot has to do with where you moved from. For a lot of people moving to Florida was a forward move, for others it wasen't. Sometimes you have to move back to move forward.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Maybe because the people who are actually enjoying their lives here aren't posting their negative thoughts on a daily basis and as we all know, misery loves company.

Quote:
Since I do actually have an MBA and am able to post more than one readable sentence at the time, my reputation must mean something. It's really too bad that folks agree with my posts at times and not always with the Florida state cheerleading squad. You must be a Florida realtor, correct ?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,661,911 times
I would never want to go back to (NYC)...but I will be in San Diego first chance I get! Love it there have always wanted to be there but when my kids were young I didn't have the heart to take them so far away from family...so Florida was a compromise!Really in many ways Florida has been a great experience for us but it's not where I want spend the rest of my life!Oh and I am loving this weather!!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,202,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Not all all. Negative to me is comments based on strictly personal observation written with the purpose of being negative.
Personal observation is what people base opinions on and if the opinions are negative about Florida, so what ?

Quote:
You moved here. From upstate NY I think. Why? What drove you to change your life into an environment you obviously knew nothing about?
Uh, no. Moved here from Boston on a job transfer after also living in Sydney, London, Vancouver & San Diego prior to that. I vacationed in Florida many times when I was younger. My parents are from the Pensacola area. But you're right, teenage and college opinions of Florida don't necessarily jibe with the adult view, but I certainly knew quite a bit about Florida.

Quote:
When we decided to leave NY we studied the cities and states we thought would appeal to us. We subscribed to newspapers and followed the local scene, amenities, weather, employment situation, cost of living (check out the ads in the paper to determine what costs what).
Didn't need to ... with a job transfer and good pay, none of that was a worry and still isn't.

Quote:
Once the choices were narrowed Florida won. Never regretted the choice. We knew what we were doing and were sure about our decision. Never regretted it.
Good for you ... fortunately, I've been exposed to many other places and Florida does not win. In fact, Florida comes in last. You have school aged children ? ... if you do, ever see them crying because it's too hot to go outside and play ? My young daughter tells me regularly she wants to move where there is some snow to play in and to a place where she can play outside all summer.

Quote:
It appears to me that a few of you just relocated for no reason at all or relocated on a dream and now regret the choice.
Asked and answered. You know as well as I do that the quality of people make up a state. I have never met more degenerate, pretentious, arrogant, materialistic, self-serving, lying folks in my entire life than I've met here. Tired of the general contractors who show up at my house with criminal records as long as my resume. Amplify those feelings with the endless heat and humidity and you have a family that's ready to move on to greener pastures. There are other minor factors as well, but not worth mentioning here.

Quote:
If a person does not like where they live, they should carry out the next appropriate action. GO HOME.
No need to go home - plenty of other better places to explore.

Quote:
Those of you with problems with Florida seem to be quick to post your opinions but are not tolerant of any position that disagrees with them even when factual information is provided to show the facts without
interjecting opinion.
Not really; I think I've agreed with you on some things you've posted in the past. I've never taken you to task with your "facts", but will certainly look them up before accepting.

Quote:
Florida is great for me. I like vacationing here, I like living here, I like working here. If you don't, you have a problem, not me
To each their own ... if you like the beach and theme parks, Florida just might be for you. My daughter likes the theme parks and we will probably visit them with her in the future. But only between November and April ...

Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Personal observations should always be taken with a grain of salt.
Two people looking at the same painting in a museum may have a different interpretation of what they are looking at.

So, if the opinions are negative I think that the other side of the coin needs to be shown as well. So what?

If you knew so much about FL, but you accepted the transfer anyway.
. You knew the weather, the lifestyle, etc., yet did it anyway and apparently your family didn't have much to say about it.

Ive been "exposed" to many other places as well. None of them matched
the possibilities of FL for me. Florida does come pretty close to my favorite place on earth, Okinawa Japan.

The quality of the people you are experiencing here is a concentration of people from all over the country. So you are looking at your fellow Americans, no matter where they live now, they are still the same people they were where they were.

Apparently you are meeting the wrong kind of people if all you find is pretentious, arrogant, materialistic, self-serving, lying folks, you are obviously traveling in the wrong circles.

Do you check out the people you plan on hiring without checking our their references before you meet them?

The heat and humidity is mostly a summer problem. Obviously you knew about the heat and humidity from your Pensacola days. I spent 14 months in Pensacola (Corry Station). Did you expect that the weather was going to be different now?

I didnt have a job transfer. I resigned from my position of 10 years with a major Japanese trading company. I knew I wanted to start over a new and did.

Please do check my facts. I actually search for the information based on someone's personal observations and try to show them that their observations are not what the facts show.

No, no school age children, but my neighborhood has a lot of kids and
I don't see them complaining about being outside in the summer or at any other time of the year for that matter. I taught stickball to some of the kids this summer. Working on Box Ball, Skully and Ringolevio now.
They got Skully down pretty good.

I do love the beaches, however, not so nuts about the theme parks.
Did them a lot when we lived in Orlando. Was just back at Universal Studios a month or two ago since out of town friends were visiting their.
Nice to see it again, will be a while before I see it again.

Yep, November to April is prime time here indeed. But along with that
comes May-October and thats the way it is. Just like up in Boston
it's not so pleasant during the November-March period.

So, you all can post all the things you don't like about Florida and why, but remember this: You all decided to come here. If your plans failed, if you didn't do enough research or if you were simply blind to the fact that
its hot in Florida, that is your problem, not Florida's.

Quote:
Personal observation is what people base opinions on and if the opinions are negative about Florida, so what ?

Uh, no. Moved here from Boston on a job transfer after also living in Sydney, London, Vancouver & San Diego prior to that. I vacationed in Florida many times when I was younger. My parents are from the Pensacola area. But you're right, teenage and college opinions of Florida don't necessarily jibe with the adult view, but I certainly knew quite a bit about Florida.

Didn't need to ... with a job transfer and good pay, none of that was a worry and still isn't.

Good for you ... fortunately, I've been exposed to many other places and Florida does not win. In fact, Florida comes in last. You have school aged children ? ... if you do, ever see them crying because it's too hot to go outside and play ? My young daughter tells me regularly she wants to move where there is some snow to play in and to a place where she can play outside all summer.

Asked and answered. You know as well as I do that the quality of people make up a state. I have never met more degenerate, pretentious, arrogant, materialistic, self-serving, lying folks in my entire life than I've met here. Tired of the general contractors who show up at my house with criminal records as long as my resume. Amplify those feelings with the endless heat and humidity and you have a family that's ready to move on to greener pastures. There are other minor factors as well, but not worth mentioning here.

No need to go home - plenty of other better places to explore.

Not really; I think I've agreed with you on some things you've posted in the past. I've never taken you to task with your "facts", but will certainly look them up before accepting.

To each their own ... if you like the beach and theme parks, Florida just might be for you. My daughter likes the theme parks and we will probably visit them with her in the future. But only between November and April ...

Old 10-20-2011, 08:12 PM

Try Alaska, but there are snakes and muggers there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
jobs and cool weather and the absence of snakes, alligators, hurricanes and muggers.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,202,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If you knew so much about FL, but you accepted the transfer anyway.
. You knew the weather, the lifestyle, etc., yet did it anyway and apparently your family didn't have much to say about it.
I had no choice in the matter, an excellent promotion at stake, and considerably more money. It was either take the position or move on and jettison many years of service to the organization with financial implications.

Quote:
The quality of the people you are experiencing here is a concentration of people from all over the country. So you are looking at your fellow Americans, no matter where they live now, they are still the same people they were where they were.

Apparently you are meeting the wrong kind of people if all you find is pretentious, arrogant, materialistic, self-serving, lying folks, you are obviously traveling in the wrong circles.
My fellow Americans ... my fellow Americans have much different values in Wisconsin or Oklahoma than Florida. There's always a layer of fluff you have to cut through here to get to the real person. And Florida seems to attract the types I've described in higher percentages than all of the places I've lived. My wife is from a well-to-do South American family and is also disillusioned with the state of Florida due to the quality of people she has met, including the Hispanics.

Quote:
Do you check out the people you plan on hiring without checking our their references before you meet them?
Of course, but contractors lie to get the work or there's also the set of contractors who will set an appointment with you and never show up to your house, leaving you hanging all day.

Quote:
The heat and humidity is mostly a summer problem. Obviously you knew about the heat and humidity from your Pensacola days. I spent 14 months in Pensacola (Corry Station). Did you expect that the weather was going to be different now?
The Pensacola climate is slightly different from Orlando, with it being on the Gulf. We don't get the summertime breezes here in Orlando that sometimes hit the coast. And here in Orlando, it's a 5-6 month issue. And even the native Floridians I know ***** about the heat and humidity ...

Quote:
Yep, November to April is prime time here indeed. But along with that comes May-October and thats the way it is. Just like up in Boston it's not so pleasant during the November-March period.
Ah, but you can always layer on, not so easy to strip when you've got nothing on already.

And as far as kids playing outside in the summer ... that's non-existent in my part of Orlando unless it's just after dawn or right before dusk.

We'll be better off somewhere else ...

Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 PM

I am sure you will. I wouldn't hesitate. I would do what it takes to make my family happy.

Quote:
We'll be better off somewhere else ...

Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 PM

Yes.. I agree. One of the reasons we left Orlando after 17 years. We wanted a more coastal experience. I disagree that it is a 5-6 month issue in Orlando. Everybody complains about the weather no matter where they are.
But if one relocates to FL and complains that the weather is not to their liking obviously made a major error in their planning.

I don't know about that can always layer on idea. At one point in time, I used to wear queen size "winteralls" or something like that. They were simply wooly pantyhose. I recall many a morning standing on an elevated subway platform and those "winteralls", a suit, a top coat, hat, scarf and gloves were not enough to keep out the wind chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida