Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 02:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanInSFL View Post
Well, then I suggest you stay away from warm places if you can't adapt. My husband is outdoors every day in 60 degree weather and he barely breaks a sweat - and he's not born here in S. FL. He's from the midwest. If you are out in the heat, you adapt. If you stay in the a/c, you don't.

Your water comment is really odd because ALL humans need water, no matter how hot it is. Most Americans are chronically dehydrated. Thirst has nothing to do with heat. Asking for water is not a symptom of too much heat. You can actually become far more dehydrated in dry arid climates. We have severe problems with the dry air when we're forced to go to Vegas to do a trade show or when we were forced to go to Kansas for a funeral. We become severely dehydrated and drink water like crazy but it still doesn't stop the sinuses from bleeding. Now, if we were forced to LIVE in that climate, we'd adapt.

The only kids who want to stay inside during recess are the ones who are already computer addicted because their parents allow the TV and computer to bee their babysitter. And it makes sense to stay out of the direct sun. I mean, really? You will get heat stroke if you stand in the direct sun in high heat.

It takes common sense. Those who choose to complain about the humidity can just stay away from it.

OH, and the good thing about humidity - it's good for your skin. Those on in drier comments have much more wrinkled skin because it's dehydrated constantly.

Bottom line, we like Florida. You don't. So don't bother living in it and move on with your life.
I hope your husband sees a dermatologist on a regular basis.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:50 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
I spent some years in Alabama growing up and it was as hot as hell in the summers and we didn't have air conditioning back then. We managed. This whole thing about complaining about the heat is ridiculous. All one has to do is LEAVE if they don't like it. Heat isn't limited to Florida.

And didn't I read about severe heat waves in NY, NJ and other northeastern states last summer? Wow...did they all head for Alaska then?
I was there at my dauhter's house then. She doesn't have AC in her house. We were watching TV and heard the actual temp was 102 degrees. We just had fans on. Yes, it was hot, but it didn't feel that hot even for me coming from Florida. Oh, because I am USED TO it? No, the humidity that day was 56%. THINK about that. It isn't even 56% humidity in SW Florida when it's Winter here.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:54 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I hope your husband sees a dermatologist on a regular basis.

I gave up on the Florida dermatologists for my hives. I found staying in VERY LOW AC, out of the sun, and soaking in cold water baths with Dead Sea Salts made them go away. Worked better, and a lot cheaper, than cortisone, steriods, etc, that they prescribed.

BTW, they say British women have the best complexions. Have you ever been there? It rains a lot. Is it hot and HUMID? Nope, not even in the Summers. Damp and rainy, and even SNOWY in the Winters. The UK is NORTH. Far more North than Florida. Forget your humidity. It's the endless, hot SUN that dries out your skin. Humidity doesn't overrule the endless SUNSHINE. That is what the UK, and their sunless, rainy day, has over Florida. Perhaps Seattle would be the most similar in the US.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 PM

677 posts, read 934,287 times
Quote:
I spent some years in Alabama growing up and it was as hot as hell in the summers and we didn't have air conditioning back then. We managed. This whole thing about complaining about the heat is ridiculous. All one has to do is LEAVE if they don't like it. Heat isn't limited to Florida.

And didn't I read about severe heat waves in NY, NJ and other northeastern states last summer? Wow...did they all head for Alaska then?
Complaining about the heat is not ridiculous. A portion of my honeymoon was suppose to be in Key West, well that didn't happen. It was mid Sept & when we drove into KW I thought we'd entered into the gates of Hell. Yeah we new FL would be hot, but didn't know it would be set on boil. I made my husband "get me the hell out of here NOW", so we were only there about 20 minutes cause I couldn't take it. I had never, ever felt heat & humidity like that before in my life! Yes it's true Spring Hillian told us awhile back that many people have the false illusion that living in FL would be the same as vacationing in FL, when in reality they're 2 different worlds, I agree. While heat is hard enough to tolerate add humidity into the picture the conditions can be horrendous. And while humidity may be good for your skin it also wrecks havoc on your joints, at least for us middleaged folks.

And yes, here in the north we can have some extremely hot summers, this past one was no joke, the month of July is the worse for us, but unlike yourselves we only have to suffer for 3 months then thank God it cools back down, & yes when it's too hot to play the streets are deserted here, kids stay inside playing video games, watching movies, etc, while adults shop in malls, or seek refuge in their homes as well. So let's be truthful, there's such a thing as too hot just as too cold. Humans don't handle extremities too well, we weren't designed to.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:50 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, people can and do "get used to it" indeed. And your right, people say that!. I personally was ready to accept it. Came in June. Didn't find it much hotter or more humid than where I came from, it just started earlier in the year and ended later. But that is me.

You really live in a swamp? That could be interesting. I've flown over the glades and looked down to see lots of development all the way out on virtually any land that exists. Little out there for me though. :-)
The southern part of the state can be swampy indeed.

Enjoy your return, or have you returned?, to a climate more suitable to you.

Well, different strokes for different folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes m'am, that's exactly what I said. I can't tell you how many times people here have said "you'll get used to it". They just are not on the forum. But if someone wants to do a search on the FL topics, I'm sure you could come up with some who say that. I make my own decisions, and I've decided not to live in the swamp and will never complain about snowflakes again, honest to Pete.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:04 PM

I guess you had no idea Key West has to be one of the sunniest and warmest places in the United States year round. The climate in the winter stays 75-80 degrees with warmer days mixed in. Key West is the closest you'll get to the equator while still being in the United States. The average temperature in September there is 88 degrees. The hottest temp EVER recorded in Key West is 100 in June, 1880, July 1880 and in August, 1880. If you find 88 degrees to be uncomfortable, I can't think of many places in the U.S. where you won't find that temperature in the summer. The average humidity in Key West in September is between 80 or so percent in the day and 70 percent or so at night.

I for one do not consider the summer in FL as "suffering". I certainly do not find the winter as "suffering" either. It's FL, its south, its hot in the summer, pleasant most of the rest of the year. Not a lot to comprehend.

So, if FL isn't you thing, hey, thanks fine. But the gross exaggerations

such as "the gates of Hell", "conditions can be horrendous" are simply ridiculous statements.

Humans live in a lot of different climates around the world and have for many thousands of years.

What it boils down to is you personally do not like hot weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Complaining about the heat is not ridiculous. A portion of my honeymoon was suppose to be in Key West, well that didn't happen. It was mid Sept & when we drove into KW I thought we'd entered into the gates of Hell. Yeah we new FL would be hot, but didn't know it would be set on boil. I made my husband "get me the hell out of here NOW", so we were only there about 20 minutes cause I couldn't take it. I had never, ever felt heat & humidity like that before in my life! Yes it's true Spring Hillian told us awhile back that many people have the false illusion that living in FL would be the same as vacationing in FL, when in reality they're 2 different worlds, I agree. While heat is hard enough to tolerate add humidity into the picture the conditions can be horrendous. And while humidity may be good for your skin it also wrecks havoc on your joints, at least for us middleaged folks.

And yes, here in the north we can have some extremely hot summers, this past one was no joke, the month of July is the worse for us, but unlike yourselves we only have to suffer for 3 months then thank God it cools back down, & yes when it's too hot to play the streets are deserted here, kids stay inside playing video games, watching movies, etc, while adults shop in malls, or seek refuge in their homes as well. So let's be truthful, there's such a thing as too hot just as too cold. Humans don't handle extremities too well, we weren't designed to.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 PM

Obviously your daughter does not live in a sub tropical zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I was there at my dauhter's house then. She doesn't have AC in her house. We were watching TV and heard the actual temp was 102 degrees. We just had fans on. Yes, it was hot, but it didn't feel that hot even for me coming from Florida. Oh, because I am USED TO it? No, the humidity that day was 56%. THINK about that. It isn't even 56% humidity in SW Florida when it's Winter here.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:35 PM

677 posts, read 934,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I guess you had no idea Key West has to be one of the sunniest and warmest places in the United States year round. The climate in the winter stays 75-80 degrees with warmer days mixed in. Key West is the closest you'll get to the equator while still being in the United States. The average temperature in September there is 88 degrees. The hottest temp EVER recorded in Key West is 100 in June, 1880, July 1880 and in August, 1880. If you find 88 degrees to be uncomfortable, I can't think of many places in the U.S. where you won't find that temperature in the summer. The average humidity in Key West in September is between 80 or so percent in the day and 70 percent or so at night.

I for one do not consider the summer in FL as "suffering". I certainly do not find the winter as "suffering" either. It's FL, its south, its hot in the summer, pleasant most of the rest of the year. Not a lot to comprehend.

So, if FL isn't you thing, hey, thanks fine. But the gross exaggerations

such as "the gates of Hell", "conditions can be horrendous" are simply ridiculous statements.

Humans live in a lot of different climates around the world and have for many thousands of years.

What it boils down to is you personally do not like hot weather.

"Key West is the closest you'll get to the equator while still being in the United States." No, Key West is the closest I ever want to be to Hell!

Now I don't know where you got your weather specs from, really don't care how accurate or inaccurate they are, when we were there the temps felt around 110* & extremely humid, & that is NO GROSS EXAGGERATION. Of course we've had temps here at 88* & much higher, but what we felt was temps we've never experienced before ever, enough to chase us the hell outta there (pardon the pun). Understand this was our 1st trip to FL, we didn't know what to expect in terms of heat, Disneyworld was so damn hot during the day we had to abort our visit & only go there after the sun went down, we stayed hemmed up in our hotel room during the day.

Why some of you Floridians are so super sensitive, get downright obnoxious & defensive when people say they hate the heat & humidity there is ridiculous to me,so if you want to say something's ridiculous, that's what I call ridiculous, constantly defending the undefendable oppressive heat/humidity, unless you all have a alteria motive such as being realtors, travel agency owners, or some other business venture. If we hate it then we hate it, so what? If you come up north in Jan & there's a blizzard & you speak about it why would I try to ridicule you for your dislike of a blizzard? I found Orlando & Key West to be downright miserable in terms of tempertures in Sept & it doesn't make me a liar or gross exaggerator either.........now what?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:45 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,764 times
well i cant speak for the retirees but i did go down there to see if i would like to relocate there - i found that the chance of me earning a decent living slim to none - i was down there to visit my father while he was hospitalized - after speaking with a few nurses and one xray tech you can imagine my surprise to find out they all worked 2 jobs - i cant think of any place in the new england area that nurses arent making 50,000.00 on up - knowing that my job is less valuable than a nurse i assumed that would mean i would have to work 3 jobs -

Old 10-18-2011, 04:54 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Key West is the closest you'll get to the equator while still being in the United States.
Actually Hawaii is closer to the equator, but I get your point. But the true story is told by the heat index.

Heat index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The average temperature in September there is 88 degrees. The hottest temp EVER recorded in Key West is 100 in June, 1880, July 1880 and in August, 1880. If you find 88 degrees to be uncomfortable, I can't think of many places in the U.S. where you won't find that temperature in the summer. The average humidity in Key West in September is between 80 or so percent in the day and 70 percent or so at night.
88 degrees with 70% humidity yields a heat index of 100. Pretty darn oppressive ...

Quote:
I do find the summer here unbearable, but I'm in the Orlando area and not near the coast. Plotting my escape, but just not for weather reasons ...

Quote:
So, if FL isn't you thing, hey, thanks fine. But the gross exaggerations such as "the gates of Hell", "conditions can be horrendous" are simply ridiculous statements. Humans live in a lot of different climates around the world and have for many thousands of years. What it boils down to is you personally do not like hot weather.
I'm sure you could find the same "exaggerations" in the Wisconsin forum about the cold. Everyone can tolerate the heat differently ... I personally have been here for 16+ years and have not become acclimated. Everyone also is entitled to post whatever they feel about the climate of Florida, irregardless of whether they like or hate the heat. Relying on my personal experience tells me that I would enjoy life a lot more by spending summers elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida